Gransnet forums

Chat

Stockpiling - post lock down

(82 Posts)
kittylester Sun 24-May-20 19:06:11

I didnt stockpile before lockdown but, having been without a delivery slot for a month at the beginning, I make sure I have anything and everything we might need in case we dont get another one!!

I could now supply the whole village but, as i need fresh stuff, like milk, bread and fruit and veg weekly, I keep stocking up.

Anyone else?

dontmindstayinghome Sun 24-May-20 19:18:41

I'm shopping for three different households. I have never stockpiled but I have a very full shopping trolley each time I shop and have several loaves and milks in my freezer!

I am finding that i'm so concerned about shopping for the others that I have very little in my own cupboards.

You can guarantee that as soon as I struggle out of the supermarket I will get a text message asking for yet another item that wasn't on the list. grrr

aggie Sun 24-May-20 19:22:59

I have just opened my second last pack of 24 toilet rolls from Brexit stockpile ...

vampirequeen Sun 24-May-20 19:25:57

I had a store cupboard of tins and other essentials like tea coffee and uht milk before lockdown because some winters our village gets snowed/iced in. When we moved here our neighbours warned us to have a few bits and bobs stored in case we couldn't get out for a week or so in mid winter. I've just used that and restocked it as and when. It's not like the massive stockpiles that some people bought in a panic earlier this year.

Wibby Sun 24-May-20 19:29:30

Ive never stock piled but have always had a store cupboard which my mum always had so I picked that up from her. Its a pity the supermarkets didnt stop people from stock piling when the virus first hit then there would be enough goods to go round.

Puzzler61 Sun 24-May-20 19:36:00

Toilet rolls. I won’t say how many.
They weren’t bought from a supermarket, I have an account with a stationery company and they only supply large volumes.

MamaCaz Sun 24-May-20 19:43:52

I'm still adjusting to doing just one fortnightly online shop, rather than having one weekly visit to the supermarket, and that online order is limited to 80 items (at least 10 of which have been bananas in most deliveries bcause they are counted individually)!

It's hard to judge exactly how long the things we have, such as coffee, will last, so I do find myself ordering things that might run out, just in case, whereas I normal times I wouldn't need to do that.

I have not deliberately stockpiled anything. We are still only half way through the large pack of toilet rolls that I bought at the start of March, and as yet, I haven't bought any more.

I do have quite a lot of milk and bread in the freezer, but that was just to be sure that we would have enough to see us through another couple of weeks if the supermarket failed to deliver either if those in the fortnightly deliveries. Is that stockpiling? I don't think so - just normal planning for someone who lives out in the countryside without shops nearby, and certainly not enough to feel that I have ever deprived anyone else of these foods.

J52 Sun 24-May-20 20:12:36

We didn’t stockpile at all and are now quite in the rhythm of on line every fortnight.
The milkman brings milk, juice and yogurt twice a week.
Fortunately we have an Artisan butchers and bakery nearby.
I’m quite liking this way of shopping.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 24-May-20 20:22:08

We have tins etc in our cupboards way before the lockdown, my husband shops once a week for us, we also have milkman that dels twice a week which is quite handy he sells lots of other bits and pieces besides milk.

Marmight Sun 24-May-20 20:38:44

I have a small box of canned stuff, olive oil, loo rolls, LLmilk etc. in the garage which I am now using and a few bits in the freezer which is tiny. I have only just managed to get a Tesco delivery slot for next saturday after trying for 5 weeks so I’m going to stock up on all the naughty non essential items my SiL won’t get me on his weekly visit to Waitrose and the essentials which he mostly gets wrong ?. After 8 weeks I’ve just started to visit the village shop but they only have a limited stock. It’ll be sooo good to choose what I want and not what he thinks I want. Not that I’m ungrateful or anything wink

Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-May-20 20:40:26

Have to start again soon for brexit ☹️ It’s never ending.

Remember when life was so simple and we’d never heard of covid 19 and Brexit? Such halcyon days.

Megs36 Sun 24-May-20 20:54:58

Kitty, Im exactly the same, even ordering spares of spares!

kittylester Sun 24-May-20 21:16:18

It is so stressful - I'm convinced that next week will be my last Sajnbury's delivery so i buy anything i might need - just in case!!

ElaineI Sun 24-May-20 21:29:29

Not really but I go to Costco about every 6 weeks anyway so just get my usual loo rolls, teabags, butter, chicken, mince, chocolate spread! Now I'm doing a big weekly click and collect from Asda rather than going to Tesco several times a week, and getting milk and bread at local coop. Also visit Aldi every 2 weeks for nappies and baby stuff so get in-between things there. Weird things are out of stock everywhere like bay leaves and condensed milk.

Deedaa Sun 24-May-20 21:39:10

I've always had a store cupboard with pasta and rice and some tinned food because when we lived in the depths of Cornwall it was quite usual to be cut off in the winter. With a no deal Brexit looking likely I shall start restocking as soon as the lock down is lifted.

Doodledog Sun 24-May-20 21:59:08

I think calling it stockpiling makes it sound like a negative thing to do. I have always, in the 40 years I have been married, ensured that I have had plenty of what used to be called 'store cupboard ingredients' in my cupboards. I was taught that this was good housekeeping, not stockpiling.

Before the virus I shopped weekly via a supermarket delivery, supplemented by a Costco run every 4-6 weeks (more often when the dog was alive, as we got his food from there), and my husband got perishables like bread and milk as and when we needed them. Now we make do with just the weekly delivery, and if we run out of something before the next one is due we manage without.

I think we will probably drift back to doing things the way we used to. I prefer to buy milk in smaller quantities, so I am not having to either find ways of using it up or cutting back on things that need it, and I do like to have stocks of things like tinned tomatoes and loo rolls.

We haven't needed to buy any loo rolls since lockdown started, as by coincidence we had done a Costco run the week before. I gave a couple of packs to the foodbank, and we still have lots left. That is the way I am used to shopping and living - I see nothing wrong with it.

It meant that I didn't contribute to any panic buying when the time came, and in normal circumstances we could manage for weeks without shopping, as we did in the first weeks of lockdown when it was difficult to get my usual supermarket delivery.

You never know when you might take ill, or when some sort of emergency will strike. People often said I had a siege mentality (and maybe I do - you should see my knitting yarn stash!), but I feel more comfortable when I know I have plenty of food in the house.

FlexibleFriend Sun 24-May-20 22:21:38

I've always bought in bulk, I keep my cupboards and freezers well stocked at all times and haven't yet run out of anything.

Susan56 Sun 24-May-20 23:07:59

kitty,we are exactly the same as you.Every week I am convinced I won’t get another slot so once I have ordered the fresh stuff which is really all we need,I order just in case stock?We struggled to get deliveries at the start of lockdown too.

MissAdventure Mon 25-May-20 00:03:01

I've always been a stock piler.
Anything on special offer, I buy and put away.

I resent paying full price for anything.

Rosalyn69 Mon 25-May-20 07:05:33

I didn’t realise I was a stockpiler until this crisis. I still haven’t had to buy hand soap and hair spray or loo rolls and much other stuff that I had obviously hoarded way before this all kicked off. ?

Nannytopsy Mon 25-May-20 08:38:16

A Mormon friend told me they are encouraged to have enough basics for a month in their store cupboards. When we moved to the country, I tried to have a well stocked store and a spare of everything. This has served us very well. Flour has been the only difficulty but I have plenty at the moment. DiL got supplies online for us both.

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-May-20 08:47:07

I thought I was doing well having been able to get fortnightly online deliveries until I tried ordering for a slot in mid June to discover I could only order about £19 worth of goods because the basics, butter, UHT milk, bio tablets, cat litter etc were out of stock. I will have to queue at a supermarket I think.

FindingNemo15 Mon 25-May-20 08:51:37

I have always had a good store cupboard as we too can get snowed in during a bad winter. I have never stock piled and often think if it was not for the milk, bread and fresh fruit and veg I could shop every fortnight. So now we use our village shop more.

hicaz46 Mon 25-May-20 09:02:12

I completely agree. I panic if I haven’t got a slot booked and feel hugely elated when I get a slot. I don’t know why as my partner and I have excellent neighbours who would get us anything we wanted and we also have a regular milk delivery and a fortnightly veg box delivery. Maybe it’s because I am still very scared to go shopping myself, but with a full freezer, fridge and larder I don’t think we’ll starve anyway.

dragonfly46 Mon 25-May-20 09:11:00

I did this at the beginning but now I find supermarkets are vying for my custom especially Sainsbury and Ocado who seem to have plenty of slots. I get at least one a week.

I bought a smart pass from Ocado in anticipation of them delivering M & S stuff in September!