Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you planning on meeting someone

(87 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 25-May-20 09:24:23

My daughter has arranged for us both to meet up next Sunday for a walk, i am so looking forward to it, just concerned that i might not be able to resist giving her a great big hug. Had a huge lump in my throat when she arranged this with me. smile

Witzend Mon 25-May-20 10:13:03

We met dd and baby Gdc3 last week, at a country park more or less halfway between our homes.

I was very reluctant to agree at first, since I thought it’d be torture to see the baby in particular, last seen on 4th March, and not be able to give her a cuddle.

But in fact it was fine, even with social distancing - we had a lovely amble together in a pretty area - baby smiled at us a lot! - and I was really glad we’d agreed to go.
I do hope you will find the same.

Elizabeth1 Mon 25-May-20 10:20:18

My DH is getting the Bbq up and running for tomorrow my sister is coming for a meal from the bbq. We’re social distancing and she’s bringing a shovel guess what for wink

tanith Mon 25-May-20 10:54:21

I’m about to head out the door to meet up with daughter for a walk and natter in the park.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 25-May-20 10:54:21

Oh Elizabeth how lovely, is she going to plant up your tubs and pots?
?

Chewbacca Mon 25-May-20 11:10:59

Several meet ups with friends and family planned, all very local, no driving any distance to do so. But in light of the current revelations, a friend and I are driving to a half way point to meet up, have a walk and natter. We'll maintain the regulatory 2 metre distance whilst doing so but this will be my first trip out that isn't for "essential travel" since lockdown.

Furret Mon 25-May-20 12:04:18

Yes, meeting up for a walk with my elder grandson. He’s just had official confirmation of his autism and this lockdown has been so hard on him. We will just meander through our little town keeping well apart.

Teetime Mon 25-May-20 12:19:42

I played golf with a friend last week. We kept far apart at all times but had to keep shouting at each other because we could hear what we were saying and we had a lot of catching up to do.

Hetty58 Mon 25-May-20 12:24:15

It's so much easier to avoid all contact, Skype or phone instead, then there's no temptation to get a little closer or hug. I'm thinking that a second wave is inevitable - and people will be sorry that they took risks. The death toll is horrific already:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

sodapop Mon 25-May-20 12:32:26

We are a bit ahead of you here in France so we are opening our small library in June.
Two mornings per week with usual hygiene rules. Looking forward to having a project again as I am sorting out staffing and all details.

seacliff Mon 25-May-20 13:16:05

All my family are a good 2.5 hours drive away, so sadly not doing that yet. I'm in a rural area so we don't see many people.

I did meet a friend last week at our local beach, we sat at a distance and each brought our flask of coffee. It was so lovely to see someone I know, in the flesh. It is so good for my mental health, and I don't feel we were taking much risk.

I want a friend to come here for chat and coffee (very large garden) but OH is against it.

Chewbacca Mon 25-May-20 14:59:08

It's so much easier to avoid all contact

I suppose it is but why should we? Even allowing for the current debacle with DC and his interpretation of "the rules", we have been given confirmation that it is perfectly acceptable to meet up with another person, in an open space, provided that you keep the mandatory 2 metre distance. So what's the problem with people meeting up, in a park or going for a walk whilst adhering to the advice above? confused

Personally, and I'm fairly sure I'm not alone here, as a cogniscent adult I can express my pleasure at seeing my friends without having to throw my arms around them or kiss them. If you can't, then yes, you're best sticking to Skype or the phone.

grannysyb Mon 25-May-20 15:05:57

See people outside on Thursdays when I clap and a lot of chat in the road afterwards at distance when we all catch up. I have seen DD whenever she has dropped off shopping and she brought GD1 over for a chat on her birthday. If you're outside and at a distance it's fine

Tabbycat Mon 25-May-20 15:21:52

It's my birthday today and my eldest daughter drove over from Manchester to see me this morning. We sat in our back garden - two metres apart - I opened my card and present. It was lovely to see her in the flesh!
The youngest daughter (who lives in the USA) called me on Skype and my two-year old grandson sang Happy Birthday, dear Granny. It made my day!
You have to take pleasure in small things, when you can! wink

Norah Mon 25-May-20 15:33:44

No, phone nattering works well.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 25-May-20 17:16:35

Tabbycat I hope you have had a good day, belated Happy Birthday???

Jane43 Tue 26-May-20 08:21:25

I’m going to meet a good friend in the local park on Thursday afternoon, weather permitting. It will be good to see her, she is one of the most positive people I know.

brook2704 Tue 26-May-20 08:35:30

Yes I’m very much looking forward to visiting my youngest daughter and DGC on Friday in their garden. We’ll have to resist the hugs and cuddles but just seeing them will be lovely?
My other two children and families live too far away so sadly I won’t be able to see them anytime soon.
Happy belated birthday Tabbycat I hope you enjoyed your special day ! ????

12Michael Tue 26-May-20 08:49:54

I am looking forward to meeting friends I have met on my bus strips, n the future ,and maybe continue where we left of.
Mick

merlotgran Tue 26-May-20 09:00:01

I met DD2 yesterday in an isolated spot.

We didn't feel any need to hug it was just lovely to be able to talk face to face at the appropriate distance.

Grannyboots1 Tue 26-May-20 09:00:29

I met up with my sister in a garden centre car park. We brought chairs and coffee and sat in the farthest corner we could, 2 metres apart. Then went in to look round the centre. We did attract some amusing comments.

polnan Tue 26-May-20 09:53:29

I can cry, just reading these posts, living alone, isolated, not seeing anyone...

Elijah Tue 26-May-20 09:57:02

I think it has to be my sons, the eldest has been on his own since lockdown started and the middle son and his wife have my darling grandson who I have since once since march. My 3 son has allowed me to stay with him at his house (I usually live in a static in Somerset but he didnt want me to be alone).

Nannyme Tue 26-May-20 10:02:14

Yes and it was lovely, its fine not being able to hug, just seeing my daughter and to talk was enough, but I did give her dog a big hug. Planning to do it again next weekend.

Craftycat Tue 26-May-20 10:04:04

Youngest DGS has a birthday on Friday . They have a huge garden so we will go over there & sit well apart & watch the children play. I haven't seen them since the lock down so I am really looking forward to it.
Saw our older ones yesterday & it was great! We had a lovely long walk with their new dog.