We're both in our 70s and quite healthy but since lockdown we decided to self isolate. Doctor has delivered DH tablets (supply needed every 3 weeks). I've done on-line shopping (Waitrose and Morrisons) plus a click and collect from an Asda in the nearest town. Had to wait nearly 3 weeks for the first delivery. All have been disappointing for various reasons. Essential items to start with were out of stock, some still are. Items out of stock on the delivery day. Items substituted which were of no good for the intended use. Morrisons don't do a tick box for whether or not you would accept a substitute. Managed to get my money back. Two items once were replaced with ones nearly twice the price.
However, I have now decided to cancel a delivery due tomorrow. A distant neighbour rang last week. We live in a very rural area. 10 min walk to nearest neighbour. She'd just started to go out do the shopping and had rung around friends she knew who had never stopped going out to food shop, to see which supermarket was really looking after their customers + staff. Some horror stories but she had taken the plunge and gone to Sainsbury's on a Monday morning between 8:00am - 9:00am.
So, I took the plunge and with face mask on I went last Friday at the same time. Apparently they still do three days a week at this time for elderlies.
Wow - I was on cloud 9 when I got home with 3 full bags and a smile from the pleasure of getting out, browsing the shelves and seeing smiling faces. There was nothing out of stock and in most cases quite full shelves. Even bought myself a pair of summer cropped trousers.
- Walked straight in (there was a man on the door to check that only one went in as one came out
- Table on entry with two anti-bacterial sprays, plus rolls of blue paper, to spray or wipe down anything you wanted.
- Customers walking around keeping the safe distance.
- No pushing, shoving, reaching for items.
- Some aisles had hardly any customers in!
- Staff in various places filling shelves and moving aside for customers safety,
- Friendly staff at the checkout.
- Two checkouts open, both with protective barriers.
- 4 self service checkouts open
- Mobile checkout devices available.
- More spray when leaving the store
Today, I'm planning to make some long missed Chelsea Buns with my newly purchased flour and yeast. First for 9 weeks.
I feel I took every precaution I could do and -hopefully- I'll be at Sainsbury's next Friday to do my next weekly shop.
Is the risk still too great? I did enjoy myself.
WOODMOUSE49 Mon 25-May-20 11:18:20
GrannySomerset Mon 25-May-20 11:24:13
ninathenana Mon 25-May-20 11:33:14
glammanana Mon 25-May-20 11:35:24
Cabbie21 Mon 25-May-20 11:36:49
EllanVannin Mon 25-May-20 11:47:45
Galaxy Mon 25-May-20 11:49:22
BlueBelle Mon 25-May-20 11:50:12
BlueSky Mon 25-May-20 14:47:32
Alima Mon 25-May-20 15:02:46
AGAA4 Mon 25-May-20 15:55:23
Franbern Mon 25-May-20 16:25:34
rosenoir Mon 25-May-20 16:35:31
welbeck Mon 25-May-20 17:41:01
Hetty58 Mon 25-May-20 17:47:48
GrannySomerset Mon 25-May-20 18:02:20