Gransnet forums

Chat

free bus pass's update

(11 Posts)
infoman Tue 26-May-20 05:27:29

Don't have a problem with a restriction on the early morning bus's,mondays to fridays.What do others think?

camdennewjournal.com/article/this-must-not-be-beginning-of-the-end-for-pensioners-right-to-their-freedom-pass

12Michael Tue 26-May-20 06:10:14

Around here until the changes happen its 24/7 as to Bus Pass use, but many shop local ,so bus use for those with bus passes as declined due to the spread of the virus.
London is in a different bubble to rest of UK.
Mick

tanith Tue 26-May-20 07:11:38

Although it doesn’t affect me but there are people that use buses in London to go and shop during the times allotted for older people which is often between 9 and 10 and now are unable to do so. I hope it’s not the thin end of the wedge too.

Blinko Tue 26-May-20 07:21:43

Here in the Midlands, pensioners' passes always were restricted to off peak, so you couldn't use them before 9.30am. At present, with the emergency, we can use them anytime. I expect that's because buses are almost empty.

annsixty Tue 26-May-20 07:22:15

This has been the norm for bus pass use all the time in Greater Manchester and I suspect most other places.
The pass cannot be used before 9:30 am.

We now have to pay £10 a year to use them on local trains.

I think a small charge should be made annually for all use.

12Michael Tue 26-May-20 07:50:14

I think also TfL have finance problems, with restrictions if you have shops within a walkable distance OK
Mick

FindingNemo15 Tue 26-May-20 07:55:03

Our hourly bus that ends at 5pm has been suspended at the moment. We hope it is reinstated as we only have a small village shop and not everyone has a car or access to the internet.

Marydoll Tue 26-May-20 08:04:21

In Scotland, there are no restrictions on what time or where you can travel on buses with your pass. It also entitles you to local concessionary train and Subway travel, outwith peak hours.

Before lockdown, I used it all the time. We are very fortunate.

EllanVannin Tue 26-May-20 08:56:35

Mine's up for renewal in October but I won't be in any hurry. Since my friend died it hasn't had the same purpose as we used to use them a lot together regularly.
I tend now to use taxis for local village shopping but don't travel far these days and there's always my D if I do have to go further afield.

MiniMoon Tue 26-May-20 09:51:36

We cannot use our bus passes in Northumberland at peak times. If you have to travel then, you pay the full fare.

monk08 Tue 26-May-20 17:28:26

You can use passes in west mids before 9.30 you just pay a pound no problem