Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you found in your lockdown clearouts ?

(57 Posts)
jaylucy Tue 26-May-20 10:56:38

I actually started a clear out before the lockdown , but unfortunately wasn't quick enough to get everything to the tip or charity shop!
However, looking through my wardrobe, I found 3 pairs of summer trousers and 4 tops that were vacuum packed at some point , that still fit, so guess what I'll be wearing this summer - all cotton/linen mix.
I also unpacked a suitcase that was under the spare bed. I am now the proud owner of 20 brand new bras and 3 multi packs of knickers!
When BHS was open, I used to often buy undies in their sales - if you timed it right (I used to work opposite my local branch so often popped in my lunch hour) you could buy bras for as little as £3 and often in twin packs. Can't resist a bargain, my size sometimes hard to find, so used to buy.
As for the knickers - we used to visit Wales each year for a sporting event and stay in a cottage for the week . On the day of going back home, a visit to the Designer Outlet nearby and straight into one store there for their knickers that were cheaper than in local store!
I can only think that I packed them away in the suitcase as they weren't needed at the time I bought them.
Now all I have to do is stay the same size for the next 20 odd years to get the benefit of my stash!

fiorentina51 Tue 26-May-20 11:33:10

I decided to clear and tidy a large basement store room. Amongst the many wondrous items I discovered were as follows...
My 38 yr old daughters first pair of shoes.
A large bag of cuddly toys
A fondue set...honest!
A pop up space ship tent belonging to my 42 year old son
A battle axe life size, not a toy
1 knight's helmet....ditto
1 spear......................ditto
1 bow.........................ditto

The last 4 items belonged to my late brother who was a keen actor in the the local am dram group. I couldn't bear to part with them but they have now been donated to another member.
Plenty of stuff for the tip, charity shops and to sell on...eventually.

Calendargirl Tue 26-May-20 11:36:20

fiorentina

Your list sounds like the line up for The Generation Game prizes!

EllanVannin Tue 26-May-20 11:41:15

1 pair of new light summer trousers----bought before the nearest M&S closed down a couple of years ago. Clean forgot about them but have now worn them 3 times.grin

1 thin floral jumper I'd also forgotten about because up until a month ago I've worn thick jumpers, so that's had an airing now and again.
1 pack of 2 vests---which I'll keep until winter and a pack of 5 knickers ( coloured )

Marydoll Tue 26-May-20 11:43:52

3 pairs of new pyjamas for DGD
10 pairs of new pants for DGD
I tin of Roses, dated 31st March
I tin of Heroes, dated 31st March
I tin of Quality Street, dated 31st March

I intend to eat the sweets if they look OK. Waste not want not!

Calendargirl Tue 26-May-20 11:47:02

The sweets will be yummy Marydoll.

?

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-May-20 13:22:53

Several bras, knickers, nightdresses and tops still with the price tag on. I also should not need to buy anything for the foreseeable future.

Auntieflo Tue 26-May-20 13:37:53

In the garage,
Some dried tomato seeds, saved from last year.
The tomatoes were a very tasty variety, so I squashed the seeds onto a sheet of kitchen roll, and put them away.
They all seem to have germinated, but I doubt whether they will have enough time to grow into fruiting palnts, but ?

TrendyNannie6 Tue 26-May-20 13:44:18

Two bras, Three Summer tops, Pr of skinny jeans all complete with labels attached I’m a happy bunny

fiorentina51 Tue 26-May-20 13:45:01

Calendargirl ?
Here's a few photos.

annodomini Tue 26-May-20 14:10:35

It's what I can't find that bothers me. I need to look in the bags I've packed for charity shops to find out what I've disposed of. I could have done with my denim crops this month, but where are they?

Liz46 Tue 26-May-20 14:15:26

I found loads of yarn stashed in different places and sorted it all out. I've got far too much so need to get knitting.

Grandma70s Tue 26-May-20 14:24:07

Er....what lockdown clearouts?

kittylester Tue 26-May-20 14:35:32

Dental text books dated 1906! confused I dont know either! grin

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 15:07:10

Grandma70's precisely!

Oh, I did find a tin of M&S shortbread, unopened, left from Christmas so we've cleared that.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-May-20 15:16:06

Bags and boxes of useless souvenirs (tickets, programmes, drip mats etc) and duplicate photos, and DH’s Uni notes from 1969, all now rehomed in the recycling/waste bins. It’s interesting that neither of us remembers seeing Victoria Wood in 1981, but the proof is there. grin

A pile of Christmas editions of 70s/80s magazines, old annuals, and four 80s Next Directories, stacked up ready for the Oxfam bookshop.

Half a dozen original posters for 60s and 70s gigs (Bob Marley, entrance 2/6 is one) and another half dozen Soviet propaganda ones we brought back from the USSR in 1973, all tied up and labelled ready for the kids to sell when we pop our clogs. Sometimes it pays to hoard!

A Betty Jackson dress and a Gap gilet, unused sales bargains bought to slim into. Charity shop it is then. smile

ninathenana Tue 26-May-20 16:11:23

kitty have things changed much smile

kittylester Tue 26-May-20 17:41:41

Not sure they have been opened since we acquired them anout 40 years ago.

DH is going to try selling them.

Jane43 Tue 26-May-20 18:06:09

Jaylucy, I do miss BHS. Like you I love a bargain and they did have some very good sales and special days when you could get a really good discount. I still have some trousers, shorts and tops bought from them and also a pair of sandals with matching handbag. Their bedding, curtains and light fittings were good as well.

Froglady Wed 27-May-20 09:55:03

I have found loads of excess plant pots that I won't be using. I've planted quite a lot of things over the past few weeks. I put the excess ones on freecycle and they have all found new homes, so someone else can have the pleasure without having to spend money buying them and they won't be going into landfill.

leeds22 Wed 27-May-20 09:56:25

Lots of Lego!

Aepgirl Wed 27-May-20 10:17:48

I am open mouthed that anybody would need 20 bras.

Craftycat Wed 27-May-20 10:26:02

The only thing I have cleared out is my larder.
I was horified at how many tins & packets were years out of sell by date.
DH insisted they would be fine but 1998?
Mind you I do clear it out about once a year anyway so I must have decided at some point to risk it.
It looks very empty now but at least I can find everything quickly.
I wonder if it will last.

pat9 Wed 27-May-20 10:27:02

Donate to science museum Kittylester?

Lizbethann55 Wed 27-May-20 10:45:18

When my mum died four years ago we brought back to ours an ancient suitcase which I had never got round to emptying. So a couple of weeks ago I did just that. My dad had died in '73. He was in the merchant navy , died at sea on the way to Canada, was cremated in Montreal and his ashes were scattered in the Atlantic. In the case was the company flag which had covered his coffin, his officers cap , photos of the service and all the letters and cards mum had received . There were also letters dad had sent her (including one when Princess Grace (Kelly) sailed with them), umpteen photos, newspaper clippings, our school reports and school magazines, the start of a family tree mum had commissioned (pre computers !) . It just went on and on. It took me hours just to have a quick look. Can't wait till lockdown is over so I can share this treasure trove with my children and siblings.