Gransnet forums

Chat

Going topless

(149 Posts)
Missfoodlove Tue 26-May-20 19:56:44

We established in a previous thread that hanging out washing is acceptable and not common.
So what about topless men?
My unattractive neighbour a retired teacher thinks it’s fine to wander around topless, in fine weather he goes out shopping, gardens at the front of the house and generally parades around the neighbourhood without a shirt.
I think it’s really uncouth, unless by a swimming pool the sea or a private garden it shouldn’t be allowed.
Your thoughts please.

phoenix Tue 26-May-20 20:02:07

I don't know about "shouldn't be allowed", could open up a whole can of worms! Civil liberties and all that.

But I do agree that certain standards would be in order. I do know of pubs (remember them?) that wouldn't serve "topless" men.

tanith Tue 26-May-20 20:04:22

Well I agree it’s a bit unsavoury in a supermarket but perfectly acceptable in his own front garden. My neighbour is doing repairs on his conservatory and has been shirtless in this weather it doesn’t bother me.

phoenix Tue 26-May-20 20:05:45

Actually, rereading your post, and picking up on the fact that you say your neighbour is "unattractive" would you feel differently if he was young, toned and easy on the eye and wandering around topless? (Maybe not to the shops, but in the front garden?)

Hetty58 Tue 26-May-20 20:06:04

I still don't like seeing washing - but men without a top are fine - as long as they're in good shape.

Iam64 Tue 26-May-20 20:10:30

Miss Foodlove - one of my least favourite Brit behaviour is stripping off and parading around the minute the sun comes out. Yes in your own back garden, yes on the beach NOOOOO every where else. I particularly dislike people stripping off to a pair of (usually very ugly ) shorts to go to the supermarket. Sorry know its judgemental, but its in the same group as Going Out PJ's for me.
Over and out. Back to grumbling about DemonicCummings

Chewbacca Tue 26-May-20 20:18:02

Don't like it. Especially when they have pallid skin that hasn't seen the light of day since last year and a bulging beer belly that strains over the tops of their shorts. I have a whole other range of dislikes for half clad women in summer.....

phoenix Tue 26-May-20 20:18:12

Hetty how do you dry your washing?

MawB Tue 26-May-20 20:23:18

Fortunately I live next door to David Gandy
Bring it on!
gringringrin

(Don’t really - or do I.......)

MerylStreep Tue 26-May-20 20:27:37

MawB
I think I must be David Gandys number one fan. I think he's beautiful and seeing him interviewed he comes across as a very modest nice man.

dontmindstayinghome Tue 26-May-20 20:30:41

I don't like it either, irrespective of whether their body is pleasing to the eye or not.

I just think its a bit disrespectful, particularly if they are inside shops bars or restaurants.

Furret Tue 26-May-20 20:31:29

Out walking with grandson yesterday. Spotted one of these fine examples of the British male topless. Gross.

Grandson queried ‘Isn’t that against the law?’

Missfoodlove Tue 26-May-20 20:37:31

Phoenix, no matter what he looked like I would find it distasteful.
He is particularly unattractive shirt off or on?.

Septimia Tue 26-May-20 20:42:24

In your own garden or on the beach it's acceptable, or even if doing hard manual work, although it might not be very attractive.

Otherwise I find it uncouth and downright daft unless you want skin cancer.

MissAdventure Tue 26-May-20 20:46:10

I'm uncomfortable about seeing people's nipples, as a rule.

It seems a bit rude.

JuliaM Tue 26-May-20 20:50:47

My Husband is a Sun lover and the first bit of Sun out, and off comes his Top! It doesnt stop there though, he has been known to roll up the legs of his shorts like turn-ups, all in the name of soaking up more Sun!
Luckily, he tans easy, and seldom burns, he is fairly muscular and well toned, but love it or hate it, hes also very hairy, and could give a Chimp a good run for its money in the 'Hairy chest competition!'
He does have a bit of respect though, and would always cover up to go into a town centre or Supermarket, but anywhere else when the Sun is out and its a warm day, and hes not happy until he strips off!

MissAdventure Tue 26-May-20 20:54:49

Ooh!
I love hairy men. smile

Puzzler61 Tue 26-May-20 20:56:25

Wouldn’t bother me - I just wouldn’t look at him if I found it distasteful.
We lived next door to a family with a father and 2 sons who all wore very little in the good weather.
The only washing hanging on their line was shorts and underpants!

Evie64 Tue 26-May-20 21:03:53

Rather depends on his physique I suppose. Has he got "chesticles" aka "moobs"? grin

TheFrugalPiggy Tue 26-May-20 21:09:51

What I don't get is the double standards. I'm not allowed to be topless on holiday but men with bigger boobs than me are allowed to wander around the pool! What's the difference?

MissAdventure Tue 26-May-20 21:18:03

I don't mind mobs, either. smile
I like beefy men.

MissAdventure Tue 26-May-20 21:18:29

Oh! Moobs!!!!

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 21:21:32

But moobs aren’t beefy - they’re flab!

MissAdventure Tue 26-May-20 21:23:51

Look, I'm not in a position to be picky! wink
Seriously though, I prefer some brawn, rather than a washboard.

MadCatWoman1 Tue 26-May-20 21:31:41

I don't like to see topless men (unless they've got fantastic bodies), but in their own garden is up to them. I can't see any need to go to the shops without a t-shirt.