Gransnet forums

Chat

pettiness in isolation (lighthearted)

(8 Posts)
petunia Thu 28-May-20 10:26:31

Now that we are retired, DH and I have a clear division of labour. I do all the collecting of washing, washing the clothes, hanging out and drying of the clothes, bringing back in and folding the clothes then putting them away. DH irons the clothes.

Today, he did the ironing. He called me over when the ironing was done and said did I know that I had left a sock in my washing?

I said I didn't know and did he take it out. His reply was “No, I knew you would take it out when you changed the bed”. Later, in a fit of badness, call it cabin fever,I took the sock and carefully arranged it on his pillow.

But then I thought about this. I had left a sock in MY washing. The washing that included the quilt cover we both sleep under.

He must have ironed around the sock

Why does he always take short cuts with any domestic task.

It reminded me of the time I went out leaving loads of washing drying on the line. Knowing he would be in all afternoon I asked him to bring in the washing if it rained. It did rain. I got back to a pile of damp washing, complete with pegs, dumped on the kitchen table. His response was ”Well you asked me to bring in your washing if it rained. So I did”

Wibby Thu 28-May-20 10:34:49

Brings to mind, if you want something doing properly do it yourself. I think its a man thing to cut corners on everything their asked to do lol

sodapop Thu 28-May-20 12:39:15

Can't be bothered to respond Wibby

25Avalon Thu 28-May-20 12:46:20

Think yourself lucky he does the ironing. Sometimes men do things badly so they don’t get asked again. Mine’s excuse is he is working which to be fair he usually is but”anyway I do it so much better than him”! My pet hate is when he does do anything such as cleaning the table he has used he says he has done it for me! Red rag and bull come to mind!

MamaCaz Thu 28-May-20 13:11:13

I must be pettier than you, petunia - I would have made sure that the offending sock was still inside the duvet cover and, more specifically, in his portion, at the head end where he couldn't fail to notice it, when I put the cover back on the duvet again.

Petty, moi? Yes, sometimes grin

DanniRae Thu 28-May-20 13:45:08

Oh I think I am more petty than you. Mr R usually has jam on his toast and I have marmalade. We have lots of jam but only a little marmalade left. We are due a Sainsbury's delivery in a few days including a jar of marmalade.
However, when the situation with the marmalade became clear he suddenly decided that he is going to have marmalade on his toast as well.
So what did I do? I removed 4 days worth of marmalade and put it in a little pot and hid it in the salad draw of the fridge!! Result I have marmalade on my toast every morning and he is none the wiser smile
And I have enjoyed my little deception.......grin

pollyperkins Thu 28-May-20 16:55:35

Well as others have said you are lucky he fors the ironing. I wash, dry, iron and fold the washing. He tKes it upstIrs & puts away.
On te other hand he does the vacuuming (which i hate doing), all the DIY & car maintenance, empties the bins & does most of the gardening whereas I do the rest of the cleaning, cooking & washing up. He does empty the dishwasher sometimes. On balance I think we do pretty much equal shares though a bit traditionally divided!!

LightAmber Fri 29-May-20 13:27:51

I clean the bathrooms and DH does all the laundry and washing.

However, he shaved his beard two weeks ago and left the shavings all over the basin.

I have pointedly cleaned around the shavings. I clean up after myself if I make a mess, today I knocked a plant over and vacuumed the earth up, so why should I clear up his mess too?

I'm waiting for him to comment. Not for a fight, just to make the point. smile