Gransnet forums

Chat

Well that’s a turn up for the book

(38 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 28-May-20 14:49:35

For the last thirty odd years I ve had a short choppy, a bit spiky hair cut (similar to what used to be called a pixie cut ) having it cut every 5 weeks I was dreading this ‘no hairdressers period’ I m now 11 weeks from my last hair cut and I keep getting complimented on how lovely my hair looks
Well that’s thrown me completely
Do I carry on or clamber for a cut when we re allowed

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 14:52:34

Grow it out.
Get some lovely headbands, clips, and other fripperies, and swish it around when you walk, smile

Roweenaa Thu 28-May-20 14:59:46

I would carry on. Maybe it looks fuller or maybe it just looks different to usual. A compliment is always a boost and seldom a lie.

Alima Thu 28-May-20 15:47:06

I have mine in what sounds a similar style to yours BB, probably for the same length of time. It is what you prefer that matters. Can you cope with longer hair, does it feel comfortable, especially around your neck where long hair gets very hot. Be an ideal time to find out. (DH has run over mine with the hair clippers during lockdown so keeping mine relatively short).

Puzzler61 Thu 28-May-20 15:52:30

A new style can be uplifting a real boost to your mood and wellbeing - enjoy the compliments BlueBelle , you are clearly looking good lady?

Daddima Thu 28-May-20 16:31:38

I quite like having a wee bit extra hair. It’s unfortunate that it’s so heavy, as my scales show it weighs nearly a stone.

Puzzler61 Thu 28-May-20 16:48:17

I keep cutting bits off mine Daddima but the scales say the same ... ?

shandi6570 Thu 28-May-20 16:57:25

Alima, I let my OH loose with the clippers too. After sulking for a while because he said he hadn't cut my fringe that was just above my eyebrows before the massacre and was now about 1/4" long, I had to agree with him that 1) he wasn't a hairdresser and 2) it looked and felt much better than the grey frizz he had cut off. Bless him grin

rosenoir Thu 28-May-20 17:33:19

I am liking my hair, for ages I have wanted to grow my fringe out but always give in and have it cut. It is now past being fringe length and I really like it.

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 17:49:12

Mine's going through the awkward phase, Bluebelle. I did think it was a chance to grow from short and choppy to a bob.
Perhaps it doesn't grow as quickly as yours because there is nothing lovely about it.

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 17:50:42

Daddima grin thanks

I need to find the hair clippers quickly!

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-May-20 18:15:15

I wouldn’t be rushing to change it, BlueBelle, it obviously suits you. Just bask in the admiration. smile

Parsley3 Thu 28-May-20 18:20:55

My OH has noticed my longer hair and says he likes it. I may not rush back to my hairdresser after all.

NanTheWiser Thu 28-May-20 18:21:35

Just gave mine its fourth (or fifth?) chop today - it's short and a bit choppy normally, and I've tried to keep it manageable with frequent light trims with thinning scissors. It looks quite presentable! But I can't wait to get it cut properly, whenever my hairdresser is able to open. Suspect it might be a long wait!

MiniMoon Thu 28-May-20 18:27:54

I used two hairgrips to pin my fringe back yesterday. It was getting into my eyes.
My husband laughed!
I don't know how long it will take to get an appointment when the hairdresser opens.

CanadianGran Thu 28-May-20 19:00:07

Just had mine cut! We are on 'phase 2' slowly re-opening, and I was one of the first clients at my friend/hairdresser. We did some awkward maneuvering with the mask when she was cutting around my ears, but ended up very tidy!

I have decided to let the grey grow out though. After colouring my hair since my early 20's it will be interesting to see what my natural colour will be. I have about an inch of roots, but the light brown dye has faded so the transition isn't too harsh.

My DH hasn't had his cut yet, although we go to the same friend; he wasn't feeling ready. He is diagnosed with COPD so feeling more hesitant. He will wait a few more weeks. I rather like his longer locks.

Grammaretto Thu 28-May-20 19:02:23

I practiced on a hedge today and disturbed a bird's nest!
I had better leave my own alone, who knows what I may find..

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 19:03:34

Bluebelle you could have it trimmed into a new, longer style afterwards and see how you feel about it then.

Should I trust DH to cut the back at the bottom? It's very wispy there.

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 07:59:18

??thanks for all the replies I think you’re all visualising me with shoulder length hair, not so, I ve gone from about 1 ins to 2 inches ??probably get to a Bob or need of a hair band in a year or two
No I ll go back to my pixie cut so nice and easy I was just pleasantly surprised that I obviously don’t resemble Catweazle or a scarecrow as I was believing I did picture of my original and now

Bellasnana Fri 29-May-20 08:09:57

BlueBelle, I love how it looks now and the colour is great too.

Iam64 Fri 29-May-20 08:23:56

BlueBelle, I've had my hair very short, like yours for years. I started to grow it a bit, pre lockdown. Currently, it's longer than its been since I was in my 30's. I've decided to let it grow but, I'm keen to get it trimmed and the roots tidied

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 08:33:00

Well thank you it’s colour it what it is I ve never coloured my hair I will get it trimmed again when we can as it so much easier than phaffing around But at least it doesn’t feel as bad as I expected it would I used to practically run to the hairdressers I won’t be so bother if I miss a month now

seacliff Fri 29-May-20 08:50:32

Gorgeous silver colour, lucky you.

TwiceAsNice Fri 29-May-20 08:56:22

Mine is usually a short crop. My daughter has cut it twice now and done a really good job. I’ll still go to the hairdresser when I’m allowed because I’m desperate to have it re coloured. It’s completely grey now and I hate it. I look like a demented badger!

Cabbie21 Fri 29-May-20 09:19:20

I can’t decide whether to embrace the grey, which makes me look so much older and my hair much thinner, or to get my hairdresser to help make the transition somehow. I don’t think I will go back to having the same colour all over though.
I am longing to get it cut though. It is so annoying, buts sticking out round my ears and clinging to my neck in the heat.