Gransnet forums

Chat

Store-cupboard meals

(15 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 29-May-20 07:24:15

Pre-Lockdown I would every now and again run down fridge/freezer and cupboard stocks - seeing how far I got before losing my resolve and buying fresh foods!

Right now my fridge is almost empty and the three-shelf freezer is alarmingly low, not even any frozen milk.

I'm endeavouring over the next few days to eat the remaining batch-cooked meals and make a start on some of the tinned goods. Today I'll try a variation on this Nigel Slater recipe but using tinned chopped tomatoes and dried herbs

Tuna & beans

See how long I last grin

Witzend Fri 29-May-20 08:06:46

One of my favourite cupboard/freezer meals, esp. when feeling lazy, is a tin of tuna (drained and flaked) added to a tin of condensed mushroom soup (undiluted) and mixed with pasta, usually penne.
Served with frozen peas.
Very tasty!

Another is a ‘chilli-no-carne’ - tinned tomatoes and kidney beans, chilli powder, onion, stock cube and a handful of red lentils, with rice.
Both were useful during the panic-buying stage at the start of lockdown.

Iam64 Fri 29-May-20 08:44:00

Riverwalk - our food delivery is due later today. Last night I wondered about lunch pre-food delivery and remembered the Nigel Slater recipe you mentioned here. Looking forward to it plus I'll make either cheese scones or soda bread as we are out of bread as well.
It's one of the small things to enjoy about lock down, using up rather than nipping to the shops.

Riverwalk Fri 29-May-20 08:52:08

Iam64 it will be interesting to see how ours both turn out!

Teetime Fri 29-May-20 10:08:26

I used to love Ready Steady Cook where people brought 5 random items and the chefs had to make a meal of them. I know there is a new version but I prefer the Ainsley Harriot one.

Riverwalk Fri 29-May-20 13:56:32

Well it looks nothing like Nigel Slater's version, but very tasty and satisfying! The green things are artichoke hearts, which were the vegetarian alternative to the tuna, but as I had some thought I would add them to use 'em up.

I'll have the other half tomorrow.

Now for tonight's dinner hmm

Iam64 Fri 29-May-20 15:31:34

Didn't photograph it, and as a I used a can of tomato, it wasn't as crisp looking but boy, it tasted great. I added a few olives and we ate it with some good sourdough bread (magically our food order came early)

Riverwalk - we ordered two courses from the Italian on our road. Our first take away since lockdown. They don't usually do take out but several of my dog walking friends highly recommend, they're doing their complete menu. Order and pay over the phone, give your car reg and someone delivers to your car door. I'm almost over excited and may put a clean frock on

Riverwalk Fri 29-May-20 18:41:11

I hope you enjoy your Italian Iam - and your clean frock!

Talking of frocks, I'm wearing a rather bright orange Boden frock which I only usually wear abroad.

12Michael Fri 29-May-20 18:50:27

I have a mixture of cupboard and freezer meals , plus lucky enough to use a local Chinese Take away as well.
Like toasted snacks like Toms on toast or Beans , or even Sardines or Cod/Herring Roe .
Even a meal can be made with a tin of pilchards .
Mick

Aldom Fri 29-May-20 19:08:22

Iam64, I agree, one of the things that I have enjoyed about lock down is using up whatever is in the fridge. Tonight it was leek, cauliflower, bacon and cheese pasta. Delicious, and enough for Saturday too.

Iam64 Fri 29-May-20 21:49:38

Well, I showered again, put on a clean blue frock, like riverwalk, one I usually wear during med holidays. The gin and tonic was the best bit of the meal. The salad and starter good but my main disappointing. The dogs will have chicken as training treats tomorrow. But what a treat nonetheless, not to cook and to have confirmed that my cooking is not bad ?

Riverwalk Wed 10-Jun-20 13:09:21

Well I'm still working my way through the cupboard and freezer.

Here is the latest: pesto penne with a handful of frozen peas, broad & green beans.

Now, about dinner hmm

BlueSky Wed 10-Jun-20 13:35:07

Looks yummy Riverwalk with a glass of wine I guess! Yes we seem to look forward to lunch and dinner more than usual. I guess there's nothing much else to do! wine

Jane10 Wed 10-Jun-20 13:46:58

I'm not in the same class as you others as a cook but I struck lucky this weekend. I was bored. All there was in the fridge was one old yellow pepper and some sad sticks of celery. Remembering that I had some lentils, I unearthed the rather solid pack of them and rinsed thoroughly. I put them, the chopped pepper and celery in the soup maker along with a couple of stock cubes. 21 minutes later the best soup I've ever made was ready. It was creamy and delicious. So annoying. I've tried really hard over lockdown to make really special soups: asparagus, mushroom, broccoli etc etc all specially bought but none of them nearly as nice as this odds and ends one. Och!

Iam64 Wed 10-Jun-20 13:57:50

Jane10- soups have become even more important here since lockdown. Those sad ends of celery and other bits of veg seem to make perfect soup. I always have dried red and green lentils but also these days put a couple of cans on the order, chick pease, berlotti beans and so on - really add to soup making.
the other thing, is I find a little fresh chilli or ginger adds a to the flavour