Gransnet forums

Chat

DNA

(6 Posts)
Liljan Fri 29-May-20 13:48:20

I’ve been working on my family tree and I’m thinking about doing a DNA test, has anyone done this, did you find out anything you didn’t know already and who gives the most accurate info...I was thinking of using Ancestry.com.

Redhead56 Fri 29-May-20 22:17:02

Yes we used 'my heritage' my results are a mixed bag English 50 % The rest were different percentages of Irish Scottish Welsh and a last bit Central Asia. My colouring etc definitely confirms that. The Central Asian could be Viking as they did populate the area and I get notifications of cousins of that origin My husbands is something like 85 % Ashkenazi Jew 12 % Sephardi Jew and 3% Mediterranean. Which is spot on because both his sets of grandparents came from Eastern Europe after persecution. But originally Jews lived in the Middle East until persecution there so moved to Europe. He gets a lot of notifications from USA which makes sense. Because after persecution in Eastern Europe a lot of Jews went to USA his own grandad did. Sorry to go on but it does add up. The only negative is I was expecting a family tree but that was not part of the offer. Good luck with your investigation.

Esspee Fri 29-May-20 22:34:32

I used 23 and me as I was interested in the health information they provide and was very satisfied with those results.
Their customer base appears to be the USA and Canada plus the UK judging from the relatives of mine they have discovered.those
I feel I need to do a British based one too to find relatives here but do not regret using 23 and me as the medical stuff was priceless.

Liljan Sat 30-May-20 00:03:58

Thanks for your comments, sounds like you both have had success, will definitely give it a go now.

jeanie99 Sun 31-May-20 09:16:07

I am using 23&me (daughter bought this as a Christmas present for me some years ago.
I am in contact with 2nd and 3rd cousins using the site.
The information from the site matched the information I have from my family history research.
They are very good at updating their database and regularly inform you of new contacts.

Furret Sun 31-May-20 09:31:06

Used Ancestry and they were spot on. Found my grandparents details (birth certs, marriage, census, etc.) exactly where they said.

Found my mother's half sisters too.