Gransnet forums

Chat

is nicola sturgeon telling fibs

(85 Posts)
petunia Sat 30-May-20 11:00:06

I don't believe that Nicola Sturgeon hasn't seen a hairdresser since we went into lock down. Nor did i believe the piece in the papers recently saying she cut her own hair. It is far to immaculate and layered for a novice to do. Or maybe she was a hairdresser in a former life??

Elegran Sat 30-May-20 11:20:35

It is perfectly possible to cut your own hair, if you choose a simple style, avoid chopping off large chunks and go back next day to redo any bits that you missed the first time round. I have done mine for at least twenty years, probably more. Many women do so. It helps if you hair is thick and springy, like Nicola's.

I suspect it is only the knowledge that other politicians have been by-passing the lockdown restrictions that has drawn your attention to her.

paddyanne Sat 30-May-20 11:25:19

She cuts the front ,her husband Peter cuts the back and the hairdresser who is a friend is online to talk them through it and the colouring process.She did have a video online of it though apparently theres just some still shots now .You believe what you want I dont think she'll lose sleep over it ,she's far to busy doing her job

petunia Sat 30-May-20 11:40:22

My attention is drawn to her hair elegran, every lunch time when she addresses the nation. For two novices they have acquired quite a skill very quickly!

Charleygirl5 Sat 30-May-20 11:53:28

layering is a skill and one cannot be talked into how to do it correctly.

I have a bob and that was difficult enough to cut by myself. Her hair is immacualte.

Kalu Sat 30-May-20 12:03:09

DH has cut my hair and I have cut his which was trickier but following videos, it wasn’t difficult and he was pleased with the result. It just takes practice.

Kalu Sat 30-May-20 12:05:29

Meant to add, my hairdresser sent a video along with lots of tips. Easy peasy.

Calendargirl Sat 30-May-20 12:05:50

I think many tv presenters and people in the public eye are having assistance with their hair, one way or another.

Boris? Probably not!

Grannynannywanny Sat 30-May-20 12:11:32

No she’s not lying. I’ve seen the video of her trimming her own hair. Lord Digby Jones of Birmingham made a laughing stock of himself today by suggesting she was breaking guidelines by seeing her hairdresser.

Nicola Sturgeon laughed it off and said she found it a bit weird that his lordship was obsessing about her hair.

So much going on closer to home for him that he could have spoken about. But he said he was concerned about Nicola Sturgeon’s hair.

Elegran Sat 30-May-20 12:16:06

Whether she does or not, she looks better than Boris (that isn't difficult!) Her clothes always look good too - I have an older neighbour who can't stand her because "she changes her clothes several times a day!" Oh my, a hanging offence!

lemongrove Sat 30-May-20 12:18:08

I wonder if those GNers who think that NS really is cutting her own hair,are Scottish, therefore feel a bit on the protective side where she is concerned?

I don’t think for a minute she is cutting her own hair, and if she really is then she should get rid of her usual hairdresser, because she can do it just as well herself.?

Charleygirl5 Sat 30-May-20 12:23:28

I wonder if Boris possesses a comb? That would help a lot.

mary51 Sat 30-May-20 12:24:04

Perhaps it's a wig!

petunia Sat 30-May-20 12:29:15

i didn't see Lord Digby's comment, but i will seek it out.

i agree with calendergirl- many in the public eye are looking immaculate. i find my attention wandering as i gaze at their perfect coiffures.

I'm 11 weeks away from my last haircut and am sorely tempted to cut it myself but I fear making a hideous mistake. And as I return to work shortly, I prefer a shaggy look to a lopsided fringe and a bald patch. I agree with charleygirl, layering is a skill which makes me doubt that she did it herself.

Calendargirl Sat 30-May-20 12:29:50

Yes Charleygirl, I’m sure Boris does possess a comb, as occasionally his hair has a combed appearance.

Other times, he’s obviously left it behind.

lemongrove Sat 30-May-20 12:30:46

I agree Petunia a short sleek style needs an expert cut, there is nowhere to hide the mistakes.

Elegran Sat 30-May-20 12:35:32

Searching for the video of her cutting her hair, I found one with the title "The secret behind Nicola Sturgeon's perfected quaffed locks revealed" I didn't know you could drink your perfect coiffure!

Elegran Sat 30-May-20 12:38:01

I wonder if she has bought the same clippers I use? They give an evenly graduated effect.

petunia Sat 30-May-20 12:40:56

ah found it on twitter, Grannynannywanny. so i wasn't alone in my wicked thoughts of Nicola sneaking off to get her hair cut and coloured. and lemongrove is right. if she can make such a good job of it herself, why go to the hairdresser at all after lock down ends. maybe if she doesn't get elected next time, a new career option will open up, in hairdressing

i think Nicola sturgeon is like Jeremy Corben, you either love her or you hate her.

Grannynannywanny Sat 30-May-20 12:45:06

Lord Digby Jones
@Digbylj
·
14h
Something that’s concerning me: how come with enforced social distancing, Nicola Sturgeon’s hair is immaculate? All done herself? Always? I think we should be told!

That’s today’s tweet from Lord Dibgy. A few days ago he was attacking those who dared to suggest Cummings did wrong by driving to Durham and his day trip to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight.

That’s the best he could come up with. Pathetic.

Grannynannywanny Sat 30-May-20 12:50:11

For anyone desperate for a haircut and wary of trying it, I’ve so far trimmed mine twice after seeing a recommendation for thinning scissors. I have a short hairstyle.

I was pleasantly surprised by the results and they are very easy to use and if you go at it in stages you can’t really go wrong.

Plenty of demos on YouTube. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I’ll not go back to my hairdresser. But I think I can confidently space the visits out more and alternate with a DIY trim.

Elegran Sat 30-May-20 12:55:49

In Spetember 2019 she was picured cutting the hair of msp David Torrance while a barber looks on, probably giving advice. admittedly stills prove nothing - they could be posed - but if you search on Youtube for them, there are a lot of stills taken at different stages in the cutting process. It would take a lot of foresight to have set them all up just in case it was doubted six months later whether she was capable of cutting her own hair, with instruction by an expert.

ofhttps://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/first-minister-nicola-sturgeon-cuts-the-hair-of-david-news-photo/1166063086

www.alamy.com/first-minister-nicola-sturgeon-cuts-the-hair-of-david-torrance-msp-raising-1000-for-the-charity-maggies-centre-in-kirkcaldy-at-the-scottish-parliament-in-edinburgh-image270865389.html

I would give her the benefit of the doubt - I would not have believed that I could cut mine, before I tried it. What is more relevant -the purpose of any deception on this issue, which encourages the general population to have a go at their own grooming, is far different from the purposes of the various offenders who have tried to get round restrictions for their own ends.

humptydumpty Sat 30-May-20 13:55:24

I once shared an office with someone with a short cut not dissimilar to NS's and was gobsmacked when she said she always cuts her own hair - so it can be done, ye doubters!

paddyanne Sat 30-May-20 14:15:30

Nicola really doesn't need any of us to back her up she's more than capable of standing up for herself.Have you ever watched her at FM 's questions? She regularly puts The three musketeers firmly in their place thats Carlaw.Leonard and the one known to Corbyn as Willie Rennie Mackintosh....lol What that man knows about Scotland canbe written on a cigarette packet and leave space to write to biography .

paddyanne Sat 30-May-20 14:15:50

His Biography