Gransnet forums

Chat

I was doing fine, now I am undone.

(4 Posts)
Ninarosa Sat 30-May-20 17:40:08

Over several weeks a pair of nesting robins have graced me with their company in my garden, nearly but not quite feeding from my hand.Ive been spellbound by how industrious and devoted they are to the task of providing a never ending stream of juicy morsels for their young; often they pause nearby to show me their booty.
Yesterday , sitting in the garden with coffee I saw one robin on my patio in a distressed state, as I got near I saw the mate in my conservatory also warbling wildly. Their baby fledgling was floundering in my window blinds. I picked it up and held it in my palm, I felt as if I never wanted to let it go. ( slight pause here while I dab at my eyes ). I took it outside and set it on the grass where it flopped about a bit, Mum and Dad flying around it. I couldn't bear to watch so left them to it.
That evening all was calm. Sitting outside I saw the baby disappear into next door's garden. Suddenly both parents flew shrieking , through the air , they were both frantic, looking for baby. This went on for most of the evening. I couldn't find the baby for them.Husband said a cat may get it.
I think in my mind I equated the fledgling with my six month old granddaughter, who I've just started to see and talk to from a distance; she doesn't really know me but I'm persevering. Just to hold her...
Have any of you had a moment of unraveling ?

vampirequeen Sat 30-May-20 17:51:27

I'm sorry you've had this experience. Nature can be very cruel.

Ilovecheese Sat 30-May-20 18:10:48

I wonder if some of us are looking for alternative ways of nurturing during this time because we are missing our families, like you say about the robins and your baby granddaughter.
Gardening is another thing people seem to be doing more of, that is another nurturing occupation.

BlueBelle Sat 30-May-20 18:37:44

I was cycling to visit my friend last week when I saw a group of very excited black birds squawking and dive bombing down to the road as I went passed I realised there was a young bird lying on its back squealing loudly and waiting to get splattered by the next car I threw my bike down and ran over picked it up and put it on the grass at the side of the road As I picked my bike up a young man in a car slowed down put his window down and said I was just coming back to do that

I returned about an hour later and there was no sign so whether it was just stunned and managed to get back on its feet and reunite with its excited family or whether a kind person scoop it up and took it in I ll never know but I understand where you’re coming from nanarosa