Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen Out Riding.

(199 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 01-Jun-20 07:15:31

Just that really.

First pictures of the Queen outside since she went in to lockdown at Windsor Castle.

Out riding on a pony this weekend, enjoying the sunny weather.

Not bad at 94.

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jun-20 07:17:38

Sorry, didn’t realise this has already been posted on another thread!

?

BlueSky Mon 01-Jun-20 07:29:36

Amazing isn't she? She has enjoyed a long healthy and active life and so has her husband. Good genes and an element of luck as in everything else.

annep1 Mon 01-Jun-20 07:44:40

And the best health care.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Jun-20 07:47:51

Good luck to her, if you have a love horses it will never go away.

Blinko Mon 01-Jun-20 08:17:09

Good on her! I did wonder how she gets on and off the horse, though. I know there are steps but you still need to haul yourself over the saddle...

Alexa Mon 01-Jun-20 08:58:08

Blinko maybe someone helps her to lift her right leg over the back of the saddle. And then someone will sort her stirrups for her. I wonder is she can still trot the pony as a rising trot is quite a lot of exercise.

Megs36 Mon 01-Jun-20 09:56:47

Really think the actual photo is an old one, anyone else?

trisher Mon 01-Jun-20 10:15:53

I think it's recent. But I do wonder aren't you supposed to wear a helmet if you are riding? And wouldn't it be nice if everyone had enough space around their home to ride a horse?

paddyanne Mon 01-Jun-20 10:29:37

I think its incredible that a life of privilege can mean you reach old age a swell as she has.....shame so many barely make it to retirement in my part of the world.I'd guess hard work,poor diet , bad housing conditions are just a co incidence? And people STILL think this kind of class system is OK?

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jun-20 10:37:15

It’s not a legal requirement to wear a hat, I think, but obviously recommended. Think if you’re on a public highway it might be different, especially for insurance purposes.

Thought it wouldn’t be long before Paddyanne had her say.

There’s another thread about this, so you could post it on both.

Rosalyn69 Mon 01-Jun-20 10:38:25

The Queen never wears a hat to my knowledge. I wish I could still get on a horse. ☹️

Pantglas2 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:32:00

Her father also had the same life of privelege and died in his mid fifties so that puts paid to that argument!

It has to be said the Queen doesn’t smoke, drinks little and has always ridden for exercise, never been over weight and has generally led a moderate life so perhaps if we all did the same we’d have a fighting chance .

dragonfly46 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:34:36

Such bitterness paddyanne.

Anniebach Mon 01-Jun-20 11:51:03

Amazing woman

Kalu Mon 01-Jun-20 11:52:03

Oh what I would give to be on that pony. Although I can no longer ride due to health issues, I can imagine the wonderful feeling of the movement astride a horse.

JenniferEccles Mon 01-Jun-20 13:39:09

I guess the usual bitter jealous comment was to be expected.

Thankfully the majority of us are delighted to see that the Queen is still fit enough to ride.

EllanVannin Mon 01-Jun-20 13:59:17

Fabulous. Well done herself.

annep1 Mon 01-Jun-20 14:01:21

And people STILL think this kind of class system is OK?

No. I don't. And no before ahyone says it, not jealous or bitter. Just very aware of how wrong the British system is.
Will never understand how intelligent people can't see it.
Won't be responding to criticism because its not open for debate.

grannylyn65 Mon 01-Jun-20 14:07:00

Yes Calendar there’s always one !!

BlueSky Mon 01-Jun-20 14:30:20

Ladies and gents sadly all the money in the world sometimes can't help you. We all know of famous rich people who must have gone to the best medical care there was and yet didn't make it. Other ordinary people on the other hand, survived with the care of their local hospital!

trisher Mon 01-Jun-20 14:39:56

I really don'tunderstand why believing in equality is now considered or called "jealousy". It isn't jealousy to think that wealth should be distributed more equally that it is wrong for a few people to live extended and comfortable lives because they have access to the best health care and privileges others don't enjoy. It's actually a long lived and very well thought out philosophy which has its roots in Thomas Paine's The Rights of Man It's a pity some people don't read more widely and have such narrow and ill informed opinions.

annep1 Mon 01-Jun-20 14:44:57

I really don'tunderstand why believing in equality is now considered or called "jealousy

Neither do I.

Ilovecheese Mon 01-Jun-20 14:48:52

Me neither

Grandma70s Mon 01-Jun-20 14:56:22

I admire her. True, she has every advantage in life, but so did her younger sister who behaved much less sensibly and died relatively young after a great deal of ill-health.

If you look at the Rich List (I think it was the Sunday Times), the Queen is a very long way down the list. There are many richer people than her, but you’ve never heard of most of them. Resentment seems to be reserved for the royals.