Gransnet forums

Chat

Childcare when grandkids are back at school/nursery?

(12 Posts)
Wendog Wed 03-Jun-20 13:24:06

How do other grans/grandads feel about offering regular childcare once the grandkids are back at school or nursery on a regular basis? I would love to get back into regular childcare (guidelines permitting) but 3 out of 4 of mine will be back in nursery or primary school in a week or two and I'm nervous about the risks we might run when we have no idea who they will have been in contact with. We've been really careful for the last 10 weeks and although we're not over 70 or in a vulnerable category, I'm not sure how sensible it might be to increase the potential risk, much as I would love to go back to regular childcare and contact with my grandchildren. Any thoughts? confused

grannysue05 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:02:19

Yes, I know how you feel. My DH and I are nearly eighty and do not have major health issues just arthritis and blood pressure.
We used to meet our two GC's after school and take care of them until Dad came home from work.
We supervised homework and gave them a really good evening meal.
Now we have the same dilemma as you. I am sure children will come home after being in contact with many others and possibly be carriers.
Bearing this in mind, we both feel that the risk is too high at present, as if we contract the virus, we are unlikely to survive.
It is probably better to wait for infection rates to go right down.
Just our thoughts.

Wendog Wed 03-Jun-20 14:38:39

Thanks for your thoughts, Grannysue! I think that's how I feel in my 'head', although my 'heart' would love to overrule common sense. It's going to be very difficult managing a way through this.

Nannydebso Wed 03-Jun-20 17:41:16

Hi. Feeling the same. Usually look after 5 year old and 2 year old for 2 days a week. My husband is over 70 and I am 59 but overweight and have high BP. They came for visit on Monday and I didnt hug them but after they had gone I washed my hands twice and even put hand sanitizer up my nose!! Ridiculous I know but felt quite panicked. It feels a long way off to going back to normal childcare.

craftyone Wed 03-Jun-20 17:55:08

mine are older 12 and 9 and live 75 minutes away. I am needed as the safety net, both parents are going back next week and both in very important jobs. It seems as though times may clash and I will be travelling back and forth as needed, I cannot be sitting here `just in case`` it would be impossible to get any other childcare. Its very difficult for parents with children who are not at school. Who else will do it? one is a cornerstone keyworker and one a dentist. The children do their set school work at home and will carry on, neither of their schools is open yet

craftyone Wed 03-Jun-20 17:59:38

I am 72, fit and well and somewhat overweight but that is all. I have a key and will get myself going just before the first parent arrives home, not touch my face, use soap and water and read outside if the weather is ok

Susan56 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:25:44

All things being well,we plan to start looking after the grandchildren again in September.
Same as craftyone,the hours and distance from home my children work means that there isn’t any other option.The children could go to nursery and after school care but we would have to collect them as their parents wouldn’t be home before the nurseries close.Also it seems more sensible not to send them to childcare if we will be collecting them anyway as it is one more place they would be mixing.
Both girls work part time so two days childcare for each family.

nanna123 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:51:54

I am in the same boat, I look after a 2 year old and pick up the 5 year old after school, only 1 day a week but it means Mum can go to work. I so miss them but am worried about the virus

kircubbin2000 Wed 03-Jun-20 20:47:37

I have done it for nearly 12 years and was finding it a strain. I'm hoping her mum will continue to work from home.

Iam64 Wed 03-Jun-20 20:59:25

I'm over 70 and in the shielding category. Two of our nursery/reception class grandchildren have both parents in key worker roles. Their mum furloughed about a month into lock down because its impossible to work from home consistently and efficiently with two small children. She's back at work now, her husband working v long hours so of course, most of the domestic stuff including child care falls to her. We can't do our usual one day a week, neither can the other grandparents.
I really feel for parents in this situation. School is about to open but and nursery is now available. Id love to go back to doing our day (and more) a week but the risks are too high. The invisible army of grandparents who support the economy by enabling their adult children to work is no longer available in the way we were pre lock down.

Wendog Thu 04-Jun-20 11:17:21

Thanks for all your messages! Lots to consider, isn't there? I don't think my son (in particular) has thought through the risks we will face once his two children are back in nursery for some of the week and in contact with so many other little children and adults. I really want to start looking after them again for all our sakes, but feel we will definitely be facing the risks we've been so careful to avoid over the last 10 weeks. So difficult!

gillybob Thu 04-Jun-20 11:27:06

As I said on another similar thread, I am resuming child care for my 2 year old granddaughter next week . My DD is being forced back to work or face zero income . It is my decision .