Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(48 Posts)
12Michael Thu 04-Jun-20 06:15:57

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another grey but a dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Yesterday received my first reimbursement as regards to west end shows.
When you look at it with limitations as to theatre seating , plus even coach travel rearranging customers seats .
Its bad enough with bus serves with the 2m restrictions, bus full if 11 people are on a single , or 20 on a double decker, not funny unless they run every few minutes.
Take Care ,
Mick

Pantglas2 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:24:02

Morning Mick and all to come from a dry, dove grey north Wales where I’m hoping that orrible rain has done its business and won’t bother me again!

We returned from my daughter’s earlier this week by bus and only 11 allowed on - I managed not to touch anything the whole time I was on it!

A trip out to pick up script for DH this morning- normally we’d stop for a coffee and I’m beginning to miss stuff like that now.

Stay safe everyone x

Sar53 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:37:23

Good morning everyone from a very grey Essex by the sea. We've had no rain yet but the grass could certainly do with some.
DH will do the supermarket shop later then he's hoping to go and sit in the garden with a friend and have a beer.
My 11 year old DGD goes back to school today. She's very apprehensive but looking forward to seeing her friends.
Her best friend had a birthday yesterday and she made her this cake.
Have the best day you can and stay safe everyone xx

cornergran Thu 04-Jun-20 06:41:08

Morning Mick, morning All. Looks like we’ve had overnight rain in our corner of Somerset. Dry if looking grey now. Need to sort house insurance today and then on to the chaos I’ve managed to create in our guest bedroom. Good job guests are banned just now. Mr C has promised to do the ironing, he can stay smile. We said the same yesterday pantglas when we had a quick dash out for supplies to stem the tide of ants in the kitchen. A coffee stop was definitely missed. Be kind to yourselves everyone, stay safe.

Scentia Thu 04-Jun-20 06:42:31

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. Grey and damp out there today. Off to work at 9.00am today. Building a bird feeder with the children at work today, if I can get them interested ?
Oh my Sar. A future bake off contestant right there? I could just devour a slice of that cake.

Take care everyone and stay safe today.xx

Urmstongran Thu 04-Jun-20 06:59:24

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ?

My calves ache this morning as yesterday we walked into Torremolinos and back! It took and hour and a half each way so it was only fair we stopped for coffee on the way, then lunch with wine once we had strolled around a bit. It’s actually only two stops on the train - the Renfe station is only 5 minutes from our apartment - but it was such a gorgeous day we wanted to be out in it!

It’s very quiet in the resort with no visitors! Possibly a big change next month when flights into Spain from Europe start next month. It was sad to see all the café bars open for business, chairs & tables set out and no punters. Soon though.

We ate our lunch here, in la Plaza de la Union Europea - one of my favourite squares, away from the paseo. Beautiful trees and as it was so quiet we could hear the blackbirds and wood pigeons quite clearly. It was really nice.

I’m not walking anywhere far today! Just downstairs to ‘our bar’ later for café sombra and tostados tomate.

The slow cooker will be going on later for dinner for 3. It’s pork today. I love Spanish pork it’s so tender and sweet. They are rightly proud of it. I’ve told our neighbour dinner will be just once a week now as everywhere is opening up and I want to be out and about more. Of course I shall knock on with her usual G&T at 5pm!

Hope Thursday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

grandMattie Thu 04-Jun-20 07:00:41

Morning all from a grey, dry E Kent. I wish we had a few days worth of rain. This is England after all, not the Med!
Painters still her, finished the stairs and now encroaching on the living spaces.
Had a long Skype withDS1 . He teaches in India and normally returns for June and July. He is terrified of bringing CV 19 back. His bro has offered his own house for quarantine but all AC seem ambivalent about his return. If he stays, he will see no one on campus which is mikes away from anywhere. He is a very social creature and would go mad.
Ridiculously, DH has decided he’s going to die soon, in the next few years, and wants to see as much of his boy as possible. I just love seeing my boy.
I’m going to write and try to persuade him to come home.
Hope all the wrongs in your lives get set right, all the “pain be champagne”.
Stay well, stay safe.

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 04-Jun-20 07:15:34

Good morning from east London, grey sky here this morning. Cake looks lovely, Sar, almost too good to cut. Amount of rain here yesterday was negligible but ideal weather for insect bites of which I picked up a few on our walk. Had a zoom quiz last night with some of the tennis people; really showed up my lack of general knowledge although we had a good laugh. Thursday is turning into my ‘marker’ day, the one where I have definite things to do with foodbank this morning and choir this evening. Have a good day.

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:23:34

Good morning from grey Leicestershire.

That square looks wonderful Urmston it must be so nice to be able to stop off for lunch!
GrandMattie I am sure if your DS self isolated for 14 days he will be fine and by that time there might be fewer cases here.

Felling low today. The row with the neighbour has really upset me so shall keep a low profile.

Puzzler61 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:23:51

Good morning Mick and All.

Odd weather in Worcs. A bit blowy, damp, cloudy and cool.

grandmattie that’s a dilemma for your DS. Life can be so cruel. You’ll be aching to see him but his fears are very real.

Sar53 the cake is so pretty! Your DGD did a grand job of it and such a lovely gesture for her friend’s birthday.

Urston your posts sound like you’re really enjoying your days in Malaga now you have a bit of freedom. Many are envious of your “holiday” lifestyle ( well I am, mine’s now postponed for next year).

I did lots of bitsy jobs in the house yesterday and don’t have anything left on the list for today. Also finished current jigsaw (called Cycling in Italy) , so will begin a new one.

Take care everyone and keep safe if you’re going on buses like Mick and Pantglas. ?

Puzzler61 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:25:58

Dragonfly X posts.
Please dig deep and find the strength to be cross with your argumentative neighbour. Don’t let him grind you down. ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:26:42

Good morning Mick and all x

Beautiful cake Sar53

Urmstongran I am reliving my early twenties through your posts, when I spent half the year in your part of the world, reduced to school holidays when the C started school. I have such fond memories as do the now AC.

Grey here in S E Essex, Tescos delivery this afternoon also an organic meet delivery due this morning, nothing else planned.

Keep safe and well folks ?

Ginny42 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:29:29

Good morning Mick and everyone from a grey but brightening Cheshire. I slept for about 8 hours which is unheard of for me. Even then I had to force myself to get up.

What a beautiful cake Sar53! Glad you enjoyed your new found freedom Urmstongran, enjoy your leisurely day today.

grandMattie I have every sympathy with you and your DH. There have been times in the past few weeks when I've had those feelings about my DD and family, although not as far as India, too far to travel at the moment. It's hard I know.

The good news for me is that DD and I are working on a project together and it got the go ahead yesterday. I will be very busy and in touch with her a lot. Today I will have to get my brain in gear but not before a lovely walk and breakfast.

Take extra care out there, as people here seem to be thinking the virus has gone away. Perhaps we still needed that clap on Thursdays to remind us to proceed with caution.

Gelisajams Thu 04-Jun-20 07:36:19

Good morning from a cool cloudy Morecambe Bay. DH is out running so no walking this morning. I’ll clean our bathroom and en suite rooms shortly. 3 toilets to clean for 2 of us seems a little excessive in my book, but it’s a new build house and that’s what they fit theses days. Useful in the pre Covid Era of long ago when we had family to stay.
Gardening in the Lake District yesterday. It was really strange driving through in June and seeing so few people. Today’s gardening will be in our local church yard.
Take care everyone, stay safe.?

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:42:03

I know what you mean about cleaning toilets Gelisajams we have 4. I always got raised eyebrows at the checkout when I bought toilet cleaner ?

Beechnut Thu 04-Jun-20 07:49:39

Good Morning everyone from Severnside where it is cloudy and dry.

I loved your swing Scentia. Your sitting bit looks very relaxing.

I’m going to get my pyrography tool out today. I don’t know why I didn’t think about using it before for the craft job I have
in mind for it.

Enjoy your time out Urmston look after those calves.

My siblings and our children were hoping to all be together in a couple of months but doesn’t look like it will be possible.

Stay safe all and have the best day possible ?

brook2704 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:50:11

Good morning everyone from a bright dry Inverness. Yesterday stayed cloudy but dry so I got the washing dry and it didn’t stop me pottering in the garden as usual

Mmmm that cake looks so yummy Sar, yesterday I made rocky road slices for the DGC , my DH will pop them round later as he’s doing a bit of work in the garden for them.

A Tesco trip planned later today but not much else.

What a lovely long walk urms - sounds like my sort of day!

Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and has a good day, especially dragonfly and anyone else feeling upset ?. Take care

kittylester Thu 04-Jun-20 07:51:30

Good morning all from, as dragonfly says, a grey North Leicestershire.

We had a lovely sit in DD1's garden yesterday, despite the rain and my very dry sponge cake blush

The gardener got most of the plants in yesterday and we are very pleased with the look she is creating. Our front garden is a real problem - mostly in shade all day with heavy clay soil. Hopefully, this will be the answer.

Our cleaner will be here this morning cleaning downstairs while dh and I work upstairs. His ebay habit continues apace and I have lots of admin type stuff to do.

Also, a Sainsbury's click and collect this afternoon.

No 'clap' tonight but a neighbours drink instead - hope the rain stays off.

Dinner is tapas delivered by a local chef - so no cooking!

Stay safe all.

Marydoll Thu 04-Jun-20 07:52:28

Good morning Mick and all, from a cool and cloudy Glasgow.

Disaster this morning! grin. I like to to get my GN fix on my tablet in bed with with my early morning cuppa, courtesy of DH. My tablet was flat, as was my new one.
PC for me, which is lethal, as I will start browsing on Ebay etc! wink.

Nothing to report at all, as I didn't feel too good yesterday, so did nothing at all and now feel I have wasted a day! I haven't been for my sneeky walk in days, which is not so good. sad
I was cheered up when my friend across the road arrived with two tins of condensed milk, found by her husband! (I have so much now, I may sell it on the black market!)
I invited her round the back and we spent a pleasant half hour chatting at a distance.

She is a nursery officer and is worried about having to go back to work in a few weeks.
She works in an area of deprivation and the authorities are concerned about the vulnerable children not being at nursery and issues of concern being missed. I taught in the school attached to the same nursery and I know exactly what she means.
It was so lovely to chat to her, it's amzing how much gossip we knew and shared, despite being confined to barracks! wink

Oh Urmston, I am so envious of your day. However, no wonder your legs are painful!!!!
Grandmattie, I hope you get to see your son, it's so difficult when our children grow up and we have to let them make their own decisions, much as we want to interfere! I find it hard to remember they are adults now. I'm sure it will work out.

As for the beautiful birthday cake, Sar, I'm most impressed and what a lovely thing for your DGD to do for her friend. to do.

Dragonfly, I'm so sorry you are still feeling upset by your nasty neighbour, especially when your health isn't so good.
I bet you he is probably feeling bad too, when he realised you are unwell. Hopefully it will blow over. If the tree is anything like ours, it will grow back pretty quickly.

Take care all and have the best day you can.

Gingster Thu 04-Jun-20 07:54:40

Morning all. Overcast here in Essex but still no rain for us.

Sarn what a clever GD to have made that special cake. It’s gorgeous! Hope she gets on ok in school today. My 5 yr old GD is going in today and tomorrow and I’m interested to find out how it goes.

My daughter in law brought over a new jigsaw for me and a book she had borrowed which I haven’t yet read, so I will be busy today, enjoying these pastimes.

I’m going for a dog walk with my old friend this morning. She was my neighbour for 24 yrs until we moved. She always bemoans the fact. ‘Why did you leave me’ ! It’s nice to know she cares! ?.

Cornergran we also had an ant infestation in the kitchen. I tried all the home remedies - but had to resort to getting powder in the end. Seems to have done the job.

That’s all for now folks. Have a nice day! ?

NfkDumpling Thu 04-Jun-20 07:56:17

Morning All

Overcast and a bit breezy here in the north of Norfolk.

An exciting day yesterday when a friend called round and we had coffee and cake in the back garden! We’ve arranged a return coffee morning on Friday - but rain is forecast.

And we’ve had overnight rain! The best sort. Not a lot, but enough to leave a very small puddle on the patio (it’s evaporated now).

Plan for today is - The Washing.

harrigran Thu 04-Jun-20 08:11:08

Good morning from an overcast but dry NE.
It rained all day yesterday especially when DH went for the click and collect. When we unpacked we found one tiny carrot in a bag on it's own, checked the printout and found he had clicked one loose carrot instead of one 500g bag, just a snack for a rabbit grin

DH has an appointment for an injection, what a palaver. He has to travel to a health centre and ring from the car park and the nurse will come to him, interested to see how that works.
DH will then travel to Lakes to sort out meter readings and finalise house sale. Buyer's solicitor insisted we empty the property last week and then said nothing further would be done until today.

I am expecting a phone call from my sister today with an update on BIL's condition, she has talked to the respiratory consultant in the last day or two.
Take care everyone.

Georgesgran Thu 04-Jun-20 08:11:20

Morning all from a grey but dry NE. Not a good day ahead with the funeral of my friends’ 35 year old son, who took his own life a few weeks back. I don’t suppose his parents will ever know why.

DH not really any better following his stay in hospital - sepsis again, for the third time.
I think he has Post Sepsis Syndrome now - very unsteady, brain fog and spends most of the day sleeping.

Must crack on and get him up, dressed and settled before I go.

Have the best day you can GNs.x

Auntieflo Thu 04-Jun-20 08:20:27

Good morning Mick, Annie and all.
It rained here yesterday, but really only a sprinkling, but better than nothing, and it is still grey now.

I have almost finished my first "Fish and Chip" jumper, and will start another later on, but am wondering when and if they will still be sending them. I still have a stash of Canula sleeves, that I made earlier on in lockdown.

Mick saying about the buses, made me think about how I am going to get to my mammogram appointment, in about 2 weeks time. It will be a follow up to surgery I had a while ago. The hospital car parking is horrendous, and I have used the Volunteer driver scheme in the past, but that is not running now, so was thinking about using the bus.

There will be a Zoom coffee morning later, nice to look forward to, and then think about a birthday cake for DH, who will be 82 very soon. What on earth do I buy him as a present? We used to try and have a short holiday around this time, to celebrate both our birthdays, but not at the moment, and he always says that he doesn't want anything.

Marydoll you've cornered the market in condensed milk.
Put me down for some fudge, if you make any.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Ginny42 Thu 04-Jun-20 08:22:49

Georgesgran wishing you strength for the day ahead. I'm filled with admiration for you. My life is uncomplicated by comparison. Bless you. flowers