Gransnet forums

Chat

Hooray - good things are happening!

(28 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 04-Jun-20 23:40:49

In the past few weeks we've been dealing with a number of difficult situations in the family; some very sad and others distressing and frustrating. At the same time, while I usually enjoy my job, just lately I've been finding it difficult, stressful and tiring. I was feeling very dispirited, but I've just had some amazing breakthroughs so I thought I'd share some good news.

I recently represented a client at a PIP Tribunal, via a rather tricky conference call. At assessment he was awarded only 2 points, but the Tribunal set aside that finding and we were awarded 27 points! This is going to be life changing for the young man and he can finally get the help he needs. Yippee!

For more than a year I've been trying to engage with a potential client to help him get off the streets and yesterday he called me and asked for help! Yippee!

Also yesterday I was able, for the first time ever, to start a Universal Credit claim on behalf of a client. I have tried to do this many times before with no success, but this time the absolute star of a human being on the UC helpline (thanks Mick) actually understood that a functionally illiterate homeless man in his sixties with no understanding of, or access to, a computer cannot apply without some help. Today I was contacted by the UC service centre and the claim is going ahead with only a brief phone call with my client. Yippee!

Each of the above situations felt like winning the Lottery - and for all three to happen more or less at once was such a blessing to me. smile

Does anyone else have good news they'd like to share?

Marydoll Thu 04-Jun-20 23:50:21

Fantastic news, Grannyactivist.

So good to see you back posting and back in the saddle again.
I have missed your posts!

OceanMama Thu 04-Jun-20 23:58:24

Well done. That will help those people so much.

No particular good news but I make sure there is something good in each day.

BBbevan Fri 05-Jun-20 05:44:51

A virtual hug. Well done

Hetty58 Fri 05-Jun-20 05:49:31

It's so satisfying to actually get results!

Loislovesstewie Fri 05-Jun-20 05:51:41

Well done. You have made a real difference to lives by your actions. I am impressed. Have a good day!

vampirequeen Fri 05-Jun-20 06:27:55

That's brilliant. Well done.

Willow500 Fri 05-Jun-20 06:37:37

That's wonderful granny - changing lives for those people who need help after so much frustration smile

Ginny42 Fri 05-Jun-20 06:46:42

Well done! Thank goodness there are people like you working hard to make a difference to people's lives. Wishing you many more successes.

Lucca Fri 05-Jun-20 06:49:42

Well done. I’m full of admiration for people like you who work so hard for others.

Puzzler61 Fri 05-Jun-20 06:55:23

Marvellous news grannya,
Very gratifying results at the end of your hard work and determination.
The people you’ve helped have met their Angel. Well Done.

cornergran Fri 05-Jun-20 06:59:27

Good to hear the successes grannyactivist and good to know you’re back at work making such a difference.

mumofmadboys Fri 05-Jun-20 07:01:03

Well done!

Furret Fri 05-Jun-20 07:06:43

What a star! And lovely to read there are a few actual human beings manning the UC system.

morethan2 Fri 05-Jun-20 07:13:23

Thanks for all your hard work helping people through difficult times.

kittylester Fri 05-Jun-20 07:18:34

Well done ga. Lovely to see you!

Bathsheba Fri 05-Jun-20 07:53:06

Fantastic news ga. You are every bit as much a star as Mick on the UC helpline. If I was ever in need of help I’d want you in my corner. ???

GGumteenth Fri 05-Jun-20 08:19:58

That sounds like people thinking about people instead of systems GrannyActivist. Well done indeed.

Auntieflo Fri 05-Jun-20 08:51:32

Oh well done Grannyactivist.
What a lovely upbeat post.
Good things come in threes. ?

Squiffy Fri 05-Jun-20 09:30:29

Fantastic Grannya, you really are a star! Your perseverance has been life changing to those people ?

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 10:11:19

Well done grannya. Your clients will be much relieved thanks to your efforts ⭐
And well done Mick too, there are sometimes human beings on the other end of the phone lines.

Curlywhirly Fri 05-Jun-20 11:15:26

Well done Grannya you obviously really care about your job; isn't it sad though, that deserving people who have real problems have to jump through such hoops to get help, so many must fall through the gaps. Pity they all don't have a Grannya to help them. thanks

JDT1957 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:01:06

It's always great to hear success stories, well done you. Thanks for sharing

silverlining48 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:05:30

Granny, you will have made such a difference to these lives, very well done.

Teacheranne Fri 05-Jun-20 12:09:23

How wonderful!

I had some good news today as well that I am very excited about. The care home where my mum is ( she went there mid April from hospital as she has Alzheimer's and was no longer safe at home on her own) have put in arrangements for families to visit. They are for a max of two people for just 20 minutes, no young children. We will sit in a gazebo in the garden with mum, 2 metres apart. We will have our temperature taken on arrival, the care home are providing masks for us to wear and we won't be able to hug mum nor have any refreshments and will not be allowed in the building at all.

I'm more than happy with these measures as they will keep mum safe and I cannot wait for us to get our time slot, visits will start next week.