Gransnet forums

Chat

Preparation for COVID resurgence anyone?

(121 Posts)
Bluebellwould Fri 26-Jun-20 15:07:42

Is anyone preparing for the expected autumn/winter upswing in corona virus infections?
I’ve planted some broccoli, green beans and other vegetables for winter harvesting to keep me supplied through the winter. I’ve done that mainly because I have noticed how little frozen veg there is available from Ocado. I’ve also been building up my food cupboard a little at a time so hopefully will have enough to get through if deliveries become difficult.
I’m just wondering how much of anything will become scarce so trying to plan ahead.
I take soluble co-codamol for arthritis pain relief and I just cannot get them anywhere. Again I am thinking of lack of supply occurring before things get back to normal.
Are you all doing anything for the future?

PinkCakes Fri 26-Jun-20 15:33:12

No, I'm not doing anything at all. When the virus hit us a few months ago, shops still had all the things we need and want - apart from toilet rolls in bigger stores (due to fools stockpiling them).

BlueSky Fri 26-Jun-20 15:33:52

I'll certainly keep a small emergency supply of tins, cleaning materials and OTC medication, not forgetting the loo rolls! I've never done this as usually I have no need to and my DH detests any sort of hoarding!

MayBee70 Fri 26-Jun-20 15:59:28

I will continue as I am: continuing to replace things in my freezer and store cupboard Although I don’t grow my own vegetables I do freeze vegetables that I’ve bought to use in stews etc. As I’ve pointed out before, a second wave might be made worse by a no deal brexit which could compromise supply chains from Europe.

MayBee70 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:03:27

Oh and I have learned to cook pulses so am stocking up on them. I’ve even, finally worked out how to cook quinoa. It’s good to have a supply of protein in the store cupboard. I even freeze small amounts of yoghurt and double cream for cooking. I was going to replace my freezer with a smaller one pre Covid but am pleased that I didn’t. I waste absolutely nothing these days.

AGAA4 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:06:24

As up in the hills here I can be snowed in for several days, I always keep a small stock as winter approaches

Teacheranne Fri 26-Jun-20 16:10:12

I'm not specifically stockpiling but I have now got quite a plentiful supply of tinned food, cleaning materials, toilet rolls and soap - slightly more than usual but not excessive. However, as I use something, say a tin of tomatoes, I replace it immediately rather than wait until I have no tins left and then buy a pack of four, which is how I used to shop.

My preference is to shop every couple of days just getting what I know I will eat but I was caught out when panic buying began and when I decided to only shop once every eight to ten days to avoid the risk.

Also, as I live on my own, if I did become ill, then I need to know that I have enough simple things I could eat and plenty of fluids as there is no one here to look after me! I don't have a big freezer, just a couple of shelves so cannot really have some pre cooked meals ready to heat up.

JenniferEccles Fri 26-Jun-20 16:49:17

People stockpiling led to shortages before so I hope shops will react quickly and restrict the quantities customers can buy if there is any hint of a resurgence of the virus.

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-20 16:59:31

We always stock up for the winter because of where we live and we've also grown more winter vegetables than usual. Swede, carrots, leeks, celeriac, kale, butternut squash etc., etc.

I have siege mentality so I think we'll probably order a couple of loads of logs for the woodburner earlier than October just in case it's difficult to get a delivery.

I think it's wise to plan ahead just in case.

Susan56 Fri 26-Jun-20 17:55:36

We are definitely building a stock for winter.DH and I were both very ill last winter and unable to go shopping so we are making sure we are prepared this winter.

We have also planted veg for winter harvesting.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jun-20 18:20:59

As very few people die of starvation in the western world I shan’t buy extra of anything. Who could have predicted the loo roll/pasta shortage anyway? Whatever you stockpile will be available anyway in abundance - it’s Sod’s Law!

For those living alone I daresay a few extra items are a good idea in case of illness, but other than that it’s a big NO from me.

Luckygirl Fri 26-Jun-20 18:21:37

My main action is to try and get vastly overdue dental treatment done during this brief lull; I can then have my osteoporosis injection that has had to be delayed (by 6 months!) whilst awaiting the dental treatment (can't have both at same time).

PamelaJ1 Fri 26-Jun-20 18:48:05

No not in this house. We arrived back in the U.K. at the beginning of lockdown. Empty fridge, empty freezer.
No problems.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jun-20 19:10:32

I’m making sure I replace things from my stock cupboard as I go along. I’m keeping well ahead with my medication and have supplies of hand sanitiser, soap and rubber gloves. As well as a possible COVID resurgence, theres a potential no- deal Brexit to put in the mix.

GagaJo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:57:16

Good idea Bluebellwould! I had gradually build up some supplies but they've mostly been used up. I'll start adding a few bits in each weeks grocery order.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Jun-20 07:07:05

No I think stockpiling is not a good community thing to do look what happened before
What you can’t get you replace with what you can get

Calendargirl Sat 27-Jun-20 07:13:11

I feel that if sensible restrictions had been put on certain items much earlier, there wouldn’t have been a problem.

So if stockpiling looks set to start again, the supermarkets need to put limits on.

My DD, who lives in Australia, said that when a few more cases broke out in Melbourne, the papers reported panic buying starting again.

Furret Sat 27-Jun-20 07:21:16

There’s a world of difference between gradually building up a sensible reserve of basic items and stockpiling by dashing out to the shops and grabbing everything off the shelves.

A second wave is inevitable. Too many people gathering in crowds everywhere. Sheer stupidity.

MawB Sat 27-Jun-20 07:24:47

I would like a good hair cut - I may have to give up on the short styles of the last 10 years, they are too high maintenance but a “bob “ could be allowed to grow if such luxuries are denied us.
Mind you, if small businesses like hairdressers have to close again, I do not expect many to be able to stay in business sad

Niobe Sat 27-Jun-20 08:03:31

I have to agree with Furret that there’s a huge difference between slowly building up a sensible store of some items and panic buying everything on the supermarket shelves.
I intend to keep a stocked pantry of basic supplies and our small freezer has proved to be adequate for our needs if we can’t shop for a couple of weeks at any point.

Susan56 Sat 27-Jun-20 08:34:47

I agree with Furret and Niobe.I have no intention of stockpiling but want to have a well stocked pantry in case we are unable to get to the shops as happened when we were both ill at the same time as happened last winter.

Maw,I agree with you about the haircut.I had a good haircut the day before lockdown and it is only the last couple of days that it really feels out of control!!Booked in for next Sunday so will go for the same cut and colour again.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 27-Jun-20 09:56:06

I'm keeping my cupboards stocked up then if anything happens and I can't get out and about I'll be able to manage on what I have for a week or two.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 27-Jun-20 09:58:42

For some time now I have been buying a couple of extra tins and packets of dried pasta. This was for my Brexit domesday stash. I will continue.

4allweknow Sat 27-Jun-20 10:11:49

A second round may well be just before Brexit so think tge will be a lot of stockpiling going on anyway. I won't be hoarding but I may add an extra tin or packet of something to my weekly shop. Where will people store all the extra stuff? I know there was a high demand for freezers at the beginnings of Covid-19 but not everything can be frozen.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 27-Jun-20 10:18:33

No won’t be stockpiling anything will just be replacing the things we run out of,