Gransnet forums

Chat

Glasses fog up when I wear a fademask...

(17 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 30-Jun-20 22:16:59

.......help! Anyone found a solution yet?

SueDonim Tue 30-Jun-20 22:23:19

Nope. confused. I’ve tried cleaning them with washing up liquid as recommended but that just made them blurry all the time so I might as well have them steamed up!

I just try to not breath too heavily, haha! grin

AllotmentLil Tue 30-Jun-20 22:33:35

Try tucking the face mask under your glasses and pinch in the wire bit - it works for me and DH.

Chewbacca Tue 30-Jun-20 22:35:56

There's a film on YouTube, done by an optician, and he recommends folding a tissue into an oblong, placing it along the top inside of the mask, across the bridge of your nose, so that it absorbs the moisture from your breath. Dispose of the tissue every time you use it.

SueDonim Tue 30-Jun-20 22:37:57

The pinching doesn’t work for me. I’ll try the tissue next time.

Mamissimo Tue 30-Jun-20 22:48:04

Found this....
youtu.be/7Rpna0mNXHE

I may give it a go?

Chewbacca Tue 30-Jun-20 22:51:13

That's the optician I referred above, to who recommends the tissue, Mamissimo

Luckygirl Wed 01-Jul-20 10:17:20

Thank you for these suggestions. I will give them a go. I do not have proper surgical masks, but hand-sewn ones, so I think it will have to be the tape for me as a tissue would not stay in place.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 01-Jul-20 10:21:29

I have that problem but you do really need masks with the wire at the top to mould around top of nose then put glasses on top.

I also have a visor which is better than nothing if you can’t wear a mask, but only protects the wearer, not others apparently.

shysal Wed 01-Jul-20 10:40:40

I use a strip of Micropore tape as in the linked video. Works a treat but care needed when removing from the sensitive under-eye area.

henetha Wed 01-Jul-20 10:42:08

I have this problem... I'll try some of the above.

Nanof3 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:55:23

I have the same problem so I take my glasses off when I enter the supermarket and put them in a pocket on the side of my handbag. When I need to look at labels etc I put them on briefly and same when I come to pay.
The mask makes me feel so hot and uncomfortable I always need a shower when I get home, my mask is also homemade.

SueDonim Wed 01-Jul-20 15:35:42

Mamissimo thank you for that link. I tried the tissue inside my mask today and it certainly helps. It’s not a 100% remedy but it’s much better than it was!

I don’t fancy the micropore idea for two reasons - one that I’d have to peer into the car mirror to apply as it have to drive to the shops and two, that it might take the skin off underneath my eyes! ?

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Jul-20 15:42:00

SueDonim.....ooooh, you old fusspot, you! grin

Starblaze Wed 01-Jul-20 15:43:53

I think I'm lucky that I don't have to wear one at work because it's more important that our faces can be seen. Other places the fogging is a nightmare

SueDonim Wed 01-Jul-20 15:53:59

GrandmaFrench age has done nothing to prevent my vanity from winning out! Tbh, I’ve never exactly been a Sophia Loren or Elizabeth Taylor but I do want to hang on to what little I’ve got. grin

Grannynannywanny Wed 01-Jul-20 17:42:36

I’ve cured my annoying steamed up specs problem by wearing the mask as high as possible on my nose. Then once the mask is in position on the bridge of my nose I put my glasses on but wear them a little lower down my nose than normal. It works even on my masks that don’t have nose wire.