Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(51 Posts)
12Michael Sat 04-Jul-20 06:13:22

Good Morning Everyone,
It looking dull out there windy but dry at the moment here in Brackley .
Venture out today to Buckingham and Bicester to see what situation is with cafes i frequent in the towns .
I had some disappointing news yesterday as to my planned Warmers to Nidd Hall at Harrogate and a one night mystery have both been cancelled think one problem is seating on the coaches and you do not want 2 coaches for say 30 passengers .
On a email thing I am on as to the beer scene , it looks like Spoons pubs will have security on the doors ,and maybe other larger pub groups as to customer control .
Queuing from today will be different ,and in some cases put many off with that 1st day back rush .
Take Care ,
Mick

grandMattie Sat 04-Jul-20 06:35:18

Good morning all from a grey, windy, chilly E Kent.
Mick, you are being very adventurous with your investigations. Sorry about your coach outings, but the regulations seem a bit draconian, seeing that one is allowed to fly- for hours, breathing the recycled air!
I had a hilarious thing happen yesterday. I was minding my own business at the sewing machine when my phone (landline) rang. I answered it. It was DS2, father of my beloved GS.
As I started to talk, my mobile phone went. Since I very rarely use it as I can’t hear, I decided to see who it was. Might be important. It was my GS’s mum. I held one phone to one ear and the other to the other and said “both parents at the same time !” DS hung up (but called late). GS mum wanted to know if we could have him, DS rang to warn me...
The parents are estranged but on very good terms, and GS sees his dad whenever it’s possible, he works shifts and weekends are often impossible. I love that boy to bits....
GS is staying a couple of nights, so the house is full.
Yesterday, when we went to pick him up, we stopped at the sound mirrors on Abbots Cliff. Very interesting.
Keep peaceful minds, rest your bodies. Stay well, stay safe.

MellowYellow Sat 04-Jul-20 06:39:55

Morning from a very wet and windy Cornwall! Never can understand why people think this is a sunny place! The posters lie, ha ha. Spoons has been one of my go-to places for coffee since I moved to the town centre and like you Mick I'll be looking at what the situation is with cafes today and will pass Spoons en route. Can't raise enthusiasm for queuing in the rain though. Today will be allotmenting - well, just watering in the greenhouse mostly
- and then a bus to the nearest M&S where I think I lost something last week. A quiet day, recovering from small energetic grandchildren visiting yesterday. wink Have a good day all of you.

MellowYellow Sat 04-Jul-20 06:41:49

That's so funny grandMattie, like a comedy sketch!!

mumofmadboys Sat 04-Jul-20 06:49:36

Good morning all. Dull start in Cumbria but at least at the moment it is not raining. I have a bridge match this morning. A Cumbian league match which has been running through lockdown. Have as good a day as possible everyone.

Beechnut Sat 04-Jul-20 07:03:33

Good Morning everyone from Severnside where it is wet and cloudy.

I think I’ll probably have a day at home. I still have a few diy jobs to do and some ironing. If it dries up and the rain stays away I’ll do some cutting up of rubbish for the green bin.

Stay safe all and enjoy your pubs and cafes if venturing out to them ?

Justwidowed Sat 04-Jul-20 07:12:00

Good morning Mick and all. Don't normally get up this early but my stepson is calling at 10 o'clock and bringing my 11 month old grandson,not seen him since Christmas. I need to shower and wash and set my hair,hence the early rising.
It's raining again in Lancashire and set for the day.
Am expecting a pleasant day tomorrow with family and friends visiting for my birthday ,my first without my husband.I think they're planning on keeping me busy and possibly restocking my gin store.
Sorry to hear your holidays have been cancelled *Mick" but hopefully you'll be able to rebook soon .
Have a nice day everyone and take care.

Urmstongran Sat 04-Jul-20 07:18:15

Wot - no sun? (sorry Pantglas)!
Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s warm but grey. Mist is fully covering the whole mountain range behind us - not just the tops! I know Pantglas mi casa is up there somewhere.

We don’t go to the beach on the weekend. As the summer progresses it gets busier with the locals and as pensionistas we can go anytime!

No plans for us today. Himself has gone out for his walk. He’s looking good - he’s lost a stone and a half since lockdown. I’ve lost … erm, 3lbs.

He will be having a couple of beers with his Glaswegian friend later. They could go down into Juan’s but I think they both just enjoy chewing the cud on our landing!

My lovely neighbour’s son owns a leg of a racehorse. It won at Redcar 2 weeks ago and is running at Haydock this afternoon. I told my uncle who regularly bets on the gee-gees and he’s going to place a bet. I hope it doesn’t trip up!
???

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Gingster Sat 04-Jul-20 07:20:15

Good morning all from a dreary Suffolk coast and the wind is blowing a hooly. I think we are all going to have a blustery day in the UK. ?

We had a lovely day yesterday with my DB and SIL. They arrived bearing gifts for my upcoming birthday. Two lovely plants for the garden. They also brought a large bowl of cherries from their orchard. I love cherries but I do t think we’ll get through them all. What can I make with them? It’s the stones that are the problem. Any ideas.?.?

The weather was kind to us and we were able to get out for a walk and have lunch in the summerhouse, where we could spread out. So nice to see your relations after so many months.

We are awaiting holiday makers today, as the campsite not far from us is opening up. We are in a quiet location here so the beach is never crowded, but we will notice the difference from the last few weeks. Our friends have a lodge in the site and will be arriving and have been asked to bring their food from home, as the shops in the local small town, won’t cope with the influx. It will be interesting to watch the news this evening to see how the pubs and cafes have dealt with re opening. The weather isn’t conducive to sitting out, so hopefully places won’t be too busy.

I’m envious of your Bridge match, mumofmadboys. I love my Bridge and belong to a lovely group , who’ve all kept in touch throughout lockdown. We are meeting up next week, just for a picnic on the field . Goodness knows when we’ll be back to playing Bridge. I can’t seem to manage the online play. ?

Batter down the hatches today and have cosy indoor persuits.☺️

Gingster Sat 04-Jul-20 07:22:43

Batten ?

grandMattie Sat 04-Jul-20 07:34:59

Gingster make clafoutis. It’s a bit like a sweet toad in the hole. Delish!

Brunette10 Sat 04-Jul-20 07:35:34

Good Morning from a bright Fife. Nicer today than yesterday when it poured all day. So looking forward to giving our DGS's huge cuddles, just can't wait to see them today. It seems this is a very important day for us all in one way or another but I hope everyone remembers the rules and keep safe. May even venture out for a wee run in the car and have a picnic somewhere. Feels strange to be organising treats again. One thing I'm not happy with I did get an appointment with my hairdresser yesterday who does it from her home and she has increased her prices 30% due to Covid. I did expect an increase obviously but not that much, think she is exploiting this a bit.angry . I hope everyone is looking forward to a nice day whatever you end up doing. Take care.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Jul-20 07:37:04

Good morning Mick and all x

How disappointing for you Mick to have your trips cancelled, enjoy your day in Bicester and Buckingham.

It is grey and extremely blustery here in S E Essex. We are going out for an early dinner this evening, I am slightly nervous but looking forward to it at the same time.

Keep safe and well folks ?

Gingster Sat 04-Jul-20 07:38:54

Thanks grandmattie sounds lovely. I’ll give it ago. Any tips on de-stoning cherries?

Pittcity Sat 04-Jul-20 07:41:09

Good morning from grey, windy Colchester.
So glad that Boris has allowed us to meet indoors as we are having lunch at DD1s to celebrate her birthday.
As her usual party is a no no, we are bringing the DGSs home with us so that she can have a quiet evening with her husband. "Just some peace without the kids please Mum!"

Marydoll Sat 04-Jul-20 07:52:29

Good morning all from a Glasgow. A few minutes ago the sky was grey, the sun is now shining and we are expecting rain all day. ☹️

DD was coming to work in our garden, as I haven't managed much in the last few weeks. She will need to postpone or get very wet.
She and her fiancé were staying for lunch, but as they are still not allowed in the house, I'm not sure what will happen.

I have been up half the night coughing and itching, apparently a common side effect of my new meds, so I'm only firing on one cylinder this morning. An easy day for me, methinks!!???

It's lovely to hear of every one's plans. Wishing you all a very pleasant day. Hopefully next week, DH and I will get a wee trip out to somewhere quiet.

Special hugs for Bluesapphire, Cherry and MawB. ?

brook2704 Sat 04-Jul-20 07:53:04

Good morning all from Inverness. It’s cloudy but dry so a bit of gardening later. I’m still fighting the battle with the weeds in the garden as they grow so fast when it’s wet
A shame that your trips have been cancelled Mick I hope you’re able to rebook soon and you’ve new plans to look forward to ?
So lovely you’ve got your little DGS to stay grandmattie and you too justwidowed seeing the little ones is just the best !
Brunette I’m hoping for two very very big cuddles later today too I’m sooo excited but I know I’ll just cry !!
Have a lovely Saturday everyone, have fun and take care whatever you are doing ?

Puzzler61 Sat 04-Jul-20 08:00:50

Good morning Mick and all from dry, blustery Worcs.
So many people have had holiday plans dashed, like you Mick, but when we can go just think how much we will savour them. A treat to look forward to in the future.

Justwidowed a bittersweet weekend for you, but family visiting bringing gin sounds like a good day. I received a bottle of Cornish gin yesterday - rhubarb and raspberry. It’s rather more’ish!

Brunette glad you’ve bagged yourself a hair appointment - but 30% increase - really! I’d ask for a breakdown at how she calculated that. I have never had a 30% pay rise, have you?

To everyone celebrating Super Saturday with visiting, visitors, cuddles with GC, hugs with AC, meals out or bus trips to explore the shops and cafes - please say safe. Enjoy the extra freedom. ?

To Marydoll and all who need a gentle sort of day - look after yourselves. ?

Puzzler61 Sat 04-Jul-20 08:01:47

Oh and Urmstongran I don’t know where your sun is, sorry, but we don’t have it! ?

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 04-Jul-20 08:04:27

Good morning from east London, grey and a bit blowy; perhaps it will all go away and the sun will come out. Have heard that our week in Dymchurch early August could still be on, albeit may not be a week and possibly cost more. DSD has said we can go to her place in St Leonard’s as she’s back in Exeter but it would involve sleeping bags and/or camp beds and it’s in the middle of being painted. Very kind of her but I had enough of roughing it last year when we had the builders in. I won’t be going to any pubs today; don’t understand why this had to start on a weekend, rather than midweek when it could have had a quieter start.
Hope you have a good day.

grandMattie Sat 04-Jul-20 08:07:25

DGSis 16 and taller than his dad!
Gingster, I’ve heard that if you roll the charities in a plastic bag, this breaks the skin and loosens the stones. I’m too lazy for that ?

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 04-Jul-20 08:10:38

Sorry jumping back in to say playground over the road has just been unlocked - first time since lockdown. Hadn’t expected that - it’ll be good to see it back in use.

Gingster Sat 04-Jul-20 08:14:26

I’ll give it a go ??

dragonfly46 Sat 04-Jul-20 08:22:09

Good morning grey here in Leicester.

We will try and get out for a walk before the Sainsbury delivery.

30% rise does seem a little steep but I expect they are trying to recoup some of the money they have lost and maybe pour hair is 30% longer than normal Brunette ?

Grandmabatty Sat 04-Jul-20 08:24:55

Good morning all. I woke early to a yellow light shining in my eyes. Yes, twas the sun, a little known star in these parts. It's pretty much 50/50 clouds/blue sky at the moment so no idea how the day will develop. I'm off to aldi shortly for a shop, then Saturday housework, change the bedding etc and a bit of gardening beckons. I have a very stony bed in the front garden so I'm engaged in raking the stones to one side and getting rid of them. Have a good Saturday.