Gransnet forums

Chat

First time waking up alone on my birthday

(61 Posts)
Justwidowed Sun 05-Jul-20 08:59:03

The first time today in my entire life 77 years to be precise.It feels strange but the first times are always the worst.This morning I put my husband's birthday card from last year out on the fireplace.I've opened all the cards from family and friends and am expecting my GD and GGD later today,plus an old friend who's warned me to only have a light lunch.How do you think you would cope alone plus Covid ?

mumofmadboys Sun 05-Jul-20 09:04:54

Hope you enjoy your birthday Justwidowed. It will be different to previous ones but hopefully still enjoyable.

Beechnut Sun 05-Jul-20 09:11:05

Wishing you a Happy Birthday Justwidowed and hope you have a lovely day ??

Humbertbear Sun 05-Jul-20 09:13:12

Wishing you a very happy birthday and many more to come. Each one will get easier. You are obviously very brave. We are all here for you

Shropshirelass Sun 05-Jul-20 09:17:08

My first husband died three days before my birthday. It was awful, still don't like celebrating my birthday even though I have remarried. My family do not live near me and so I let it go by, just another day. It was 25 years ago but I still remember it as though it was yesterday. My sister in law finds it difficult too as he passed away on her wedding anniversary. So hard.

sodapop Sun 05-Jul-20 09:25:15

I agree with Humbertbear enjoy seeing your family today and you can share happy memories together.
Happy Birthday thanks

maydonoz Sun 05-Jul-20 09:35:57

Justwidowed hope you have a good day, as good as you can. Of course you will remember the days when you had your DH with you, but you will enjoy the company of your GD and GGD, have a happy birthday.

Nortsat Sun 05-Jul-20 09:41:18

Justwidowed you are brave. This day will pass and your precious family and friends will help you.

Your DH will always be in your heart and in all your memories.
Putting up his last birthday card to you, is a poignant reminder.

I hope you have a gentle day and enjoy some happy moments. ?

BlueSky Sun 05-Jul-20 09:43:22

Oh Justwidowed! This year we have this virus on top of all the other usual worries and sadness to cope with! Must be exceptionally hard. Try to make the most of it and enjoy seeing your loved ones. Happy birthday! flowers

tanith Sun 05-Jul-20 09:44:44

flowers for your birthday enjoy your special day with your GD and GGD it’s not easy.

I’m widowed 2 yrs my birthday is tomorrow, last Friday would of been our 25th wedding anniversary and DHs 75th Birthday not an easy week.

Enjoy your day.

pennykins Sun 05-Jul-20 09:48:16

So sorry but really good that you family and friends are there for you and not leaving you alone on your special day.

jenni123 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:53:59

This year I turned 78 and I spent my birthday in hospital. Yes of course there were people there, nurses ordlies etc and my family did pop in at visiting time but I felt so ill I hardly remember it. It is just another day, try to find something to do that y ou enjoy. you say you have family visiting later, enjoy that time with them. Happy birthday.. flowers, cupcake, wine

Esmerelda Sun 05-Jul-20 10:03:43

Happy birthday .. just happy birthday and lots of love! ❤

BlueSky Sun 05-Jul-20 10:12:32

Oh Tanith you too! So many many people in the same sad predicament and birthdays and anniversaries make it even worse. Happy birthday for tomorrow Tanith x flowers

TwinLolly Sun 05-Jul-20 10:14:49

Congratulations on your birthday! Despite Covid, know that your family love you and are there with you in heart. X

polnan Sun 05-Jul-20 10:17:12

Easier said than done
Many years of caring for my dh before he died
Then this virus and more so the complete isolation
I thought I was a spring person
Succumbed to medication
Sertaline
Awful after two doses completely knocked me out
Go not much use
Doctor very helpful
Now so washed out on top of grieving and isolation

I am not complaining
Just saying
I am told it is good to share
Which is another challenge for me
Love to all here

EmilyHarburn Sun 05-Jul-20 10:17:45

Happy Birthday. Hope you have a lovely day.

kizzykins Sun 05-Jul-20 10:17:56

Happy Birthday enjoy your day :

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:24:22

To Justwidowed Happy birthday for today and enjoy it with family and friends.

Also to Shropshirelass Happy next Birthday.

To any one with none or few family and friends around you, Happy next Birthday from me. flowers

BladeAnnie Sun 05-Jul-20 10:30:11

Happy birthday flowerscupcake x

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:31:15

Justwidowed - you are not alone - we are all here. I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm sure once your family arrive you will have a lovely birthday.

theretheredear Sun 05-Jul-20 10:35:48

Happy birthday ? justwidowed x
Be kind to yourself, it's a sad day for you x

Patsy429 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:39:17

Justwidowed - Happy Birthday for today and Polnan - for the future. Thoughts and prayers are with you both. x

Marydoll Sun 05-Jul-20 10:41:55

Justwidowed, happy birthday! ?

Pammie1 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:46:34

I lost my husband three years ago. I well remember that first birthday after he died - strange and lonely, and only serving to heighten the sense of unreality and loss. I didn’t think then that things would ever get any better, but I can tell you from experience that they do. You don’t ever ‘get over it’ but it gets easier with time. Take things one day at a time, let friends and family look after you, and be kind to yourself. The massive upheaval and roller coaster of different emotions that come with the loss of a life partner are something no one can really understand unless they’ve been through it. If you feel that the support of others who have experienced similar loss there is an excellent website for recently widowed people called WayUp - here’s the link to the website - way-.co.uk/. It was founded by a widow after she lost her husband in a car accident and subsequently realised how little bereavement support is available. Everyone on there has lost a life partner - some are further along the journey than others and all are there to support each other. There is an online forum which is secure, monitored and troll free. I found the site a couple of weeks after losing my husband and the support I found there helped me through my darkest days. Do give it a try. You have my sincerest condolence on your loss.