Gransnet forums

Chat

The new body form advert

(19 Posts)
Bluebellwould Mon 06-Jul-20 12:59:15

Words fail me. I haven’t seen the new ad on tv yet, thank goodness, but the description of ‘writhing on the floor with endometriosis, losing a baby in late pregnancy, fertility problems and menopause’ has put me off completely. Women know what sanitary towels are for and when we need to use them, we don’t need it spelling out in detail do we? I can imagine the hurt that this advert would cause for women who have sadly miscarried. Why can’t some things be left unsaid.

Bluebellwould Mon 06-Jul-20 13:02:28

Sorry should have said that I read description of advert in the newspaper today.

SueDonim Mon 06-Jul-20 13:36:30

I’ve seen the advert. I think it’s been done well, in that it’s descriptive but not graphic. I recognised everything in it and although I’m well past needing such items, it depicts women’s real lives.

I really don’t think brushing things under the carpet works.

annep1 Mon 06-Jul-20 19:35:01

We don't need ads for these products, tasteful or orherwise. There are magazines and newspapers and social media for ads.
Yes its a normal part of life but I find them embarrassing on tv. Im sure others do tooespecially young girls watching with boyfriends.

BlueSky Mon 06-Jul-20 19:41:54

Agree with Annep have you ever been in the embarrassing situation of watching TV with guests when those adverts come on? Time to go and put the kettle on!

paddyanne Mon 06-Jul-20 19:45:35

I come from a family where mum always said make sure you're dad doesn't see these in the bathroom,take them straight to your room.A young shy ..ish husband who blushed and who wouldn't push the shopping trolley if there were tampons or pads in it.My Son and my SIL are quite happy to buy them and the ads just wash over them Surely thats better than it was .I dont have any problem with them and it better they are realistic than the airy fairy sporty ,ads of yesteryear?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Jul-20 20:32:46

paddyanne

I come from a family where mum always said make sure you're dad doesn't see these in the bathroom,take them straight to your room.A young shy ..ish husband who blushed and who wouldn't push the shopping trolley if there were tampons or pads in it.My Son and my SIL are quite happy to buy them and the ads just wash over them Surely thats better than it was .I dont have any problem with them and it better they are realistic than the airy fairy sporty ,ads of yesteryear?

Blimey paddyanne at last something we agree on.

tidyskatemum Mon 06-Jul-20 20:42:38

Well I know exactly what my DH would say - “You women have no shame” - just an addition to all the ads about incontinence, constipation etc. I assume it’s not for general consumption - the smear test would send the non metrosexual male into a complete panic- and though I applaud the intention I found the whole thing distinctly muddled.

PamelaJ1 Mon 06-Jul-20 20:52:59

Do they have ‘handsome’ as opposed to ‘pretty’ incontinence
Underwear for men?

I don’t need them yet but I’m sure if I did then it wouldn’t matter if they were lovely to look at. I hope the only person to see them would be the carer and I’m certain she/he wouldn’t care.

Galaxy Mon 06-Jul-20 21:18:21

I have miscarried, the advert didnt cause me pain. Why would it?

GagaJo Mon 06-Jul-20 21:35:26

I think it's a good piece of animation in places. My bloke sent it to me (I don't watch much TV) in approval. I thought the beast with teeth, tearing at the inside of the womb was a good depiction of how painful it can be.

Why should it be hidden away? Over half the population have periods and the remainder have wives/girlfriends who have them. Nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.

SueDonim Mon 06-Jul-20 21:45:05

Those who say such adverts are embarrassing are inadvertently nailing the issue. Why should it be an embarrassment to have a period?

It’s such attitudes that mean girls get teased about their periods, and in developing countries that they don’t go to school when they have a period.

It’s not shameful.

nexus63 Mon 06-Jul-20 21:57:03

i have just watched the advert and i can't see any problem with it, they are describing real life, all these things happen and should be talked about, so many young girls are teased and made to feel as if having a period is something to be ashamed of and hidden away, if you see the advert mute it and look away

Dollymc2 Mon 06-Jul-20 21:59:19

I think that the adverts are sensitive to women, instead of hiding under the table things which are perfectly normal
Things which should be accepted as normal, because they are
Embarrassment about your own body, be it periods, menopause, fertility problems, should not be something to be ashamed of
I found the ads to be sensitive and I applaud them

annep1 Mon 06-Jul-20 22:55:10

I haven't seen the ad the OP is talking about. I'm talking about ads in general about sanitary products. I don't think its something to be ashamed of and hidden. I just think some things are private. As a young girl I would not enjoy a demonstration of blood being soaked up by a sanitary towel on tv or someone going Oops I've had a leak.

Galaxy Mon 06-Jul-20 22:59:05

Leaks are by their nature are the opposite of private so I would find it really helpful if people talked about them.

BlueSky Mon 06-Jul-20 22:59:19

Exactly Annep1

Starblaze Mon 06-Jul-20 23:08:42

To be honest, I found the adverts with the idea that we all go rollerblading in tight white trousers during our periods far more ridiculous and insulting to women in general. Rather a more honest depiction.

annep1 Tue 07-Jul-20 05:45:18

Bluesky yes kettle time indeed!

Just because I don't want these ads doesn't mean I can't talk about things.