Gransnet forums

Chat

Over-sanitised?

(10 Posts)
Rosiebee Thu 09-Jul-20 09:42:50

Last week I went into town for first time since lockdown. All very quiet. Sanitised before leaving car, then again before getting into lift in carpark. Visited 4 shops and was requested to use sanitizer in each one. Anxious looking shop assistants so couldn't refuse. Similar experience in local village this week. The skin under my rings is now really dry, red and sore. Applying lots of sudocrem. Maybe just take own sanitizer next time, not so harsh.hmm

Teetime Thu 09-Jul-20 10:13:18

That's what I do some of the ones in shops seem to be very runny, squirt over my clothes and leave a sticky residue. I wonder if some people are watering it down to make it go further!!

EllanVannin Thu 09-Jul-20 10:28:25

Carry your own.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Jul-20 10:31:46

Dettol wipes are brilliant to have with you in a shopping bag. I did this before the pandemic as I used to have one ready for the bus wiping bars and rails as it was kids sticky fingers then or other nasties.

Allegretto Thu 09-Jul-20 12:17:57

I’ve not worn my rings since the pandemic arrived in the UK, because of all the hand washing and sanitising. It will be a novelty to wear them again, though I think the new hand washing routine might continue for a long time. I’ve always loved wearing my rings, but it’s been been strangely liberating to be without them.

BlueSky Thu 09-Jul-20 12:53:58

I hadn't be wearing rings to make sure I didn't trap germs on them and under them. If you are the sort of person who never took off their ring since the wedding, now it's the time to do it!

ladymuck Thu 09-Jul-20 14:07:09

I prefer to use my own wipes. I don't just wipe my hands, I wipe the handle of shopping baskets as well as door handles and keys. It really does make you aware of just how much of what we touch has already been touched by other people.

hondagirl Fri 10-Jul-20 03:02:15

I find sorbolene is the best to use on those dry hands. I have been applying it regularly during Covid. It's the main ingredient of a lot of expensive hand creams but much cheaper,especially if you buy in big dispensers. DH was advised to use this after radiation treatment and I started using it as a hand cream then.
Try leaving rings off for a couple of weeks. Another tip is to apply generously before bed and wear gloves overnight till it improves.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Jul-20 05:51:56

You aren’t forced to use it they won’t refuse you entering a shop if you don’t I prefer to not keep sanitising I think it’s well over egged I wash before and after I go out and that’s enough
I really think this can easily turn into OCD to be honest if you are going to do this at every shop why not after everything you touch while IN the shopKN which could be every two minutes, every time you pick an item up it could have been picked up a dozen times before It’s totally over the top The shops are just offering it to comply with government guidelines but you aren’t obliged to use it

Franbern Fri 10-Jul-20 09:45:47

Bluebelle, Well Said!!! OCD-type behavior with regard to sanitising everything we touch is becoming a very frightening pandemic in itself. We have skin, which protects us so well. Just keep it normally clean with soap and water washing. Our bodies are well set up to deal with normal bacteria, and this virus is not on everything we touch.

I do hope that all of those people wearing these disposable masks and gloves ( these can be more dangerous and dirty than skin), are ensuring that they are disposed off very very carefully. Time to remind us off the problems being caused to wildlife, both in and out of the oceans with single use plastic type things.

Covid19 will not kill off the human race - global warning could do so easily.