Gransnet forums

Chat

Struggle with packaging

(7 Posts)
Nanof3 Fri 10-Jul-20 13:43:09

I have just unwrapped a pack of 3 pairs of socks, there were 4 pieces of cardboard and numerous tiny plastic things that you cannot remove without using scissors.
It is impossible to open any packaging without a good pair of scissors and I am always afraid I will accidentally cut into the contents. I thought we were supposed to be moving away from single use plastic and don't get me started on the amount of wrapping on shirts!

Davida1968 Fri 10-Jul-20 13:48:33

We have one of these and we find it to be very helpful. It's magnetic so we keep it on the fridge door.
www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/packaging/post-room-accessories/islice-package-and-parcel-opener/p/CTL8310180K

Nanof3 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:03:42

for the info, I'll look for one.

Auntieflo Fri 10-Jul-20 17:01:39

I've got one of those Davida, in one of the kitchen drawers, where I forget about it.
It is also magnetic so sticks to other things.

shysal Fri 10-Jul-20 17:04:46

I received 12 pairs of socks today and it took ages to remove the cardboard and plastic tags.
Another of my pet hates is a method of packaging which is fairly recent. The whole pack is wrapped in what appears to be a sort of cling film of black plastic. It has to be cut away close to the item. I use the pictured opener but am still in danger of damaging the contents.

ExD Fri 10-Jul-20 17:05:05

I picked one up at Lakeland Ltd and its stuck to the fridge door. Its very useful when I remember to use it.

Oopsminty Fri 10-Jul-20 17:06:09

I'd like to know of an easy method of opening those liquid filled wotsits boxes for the washing machine.

I've taken to stabbing the plastic container they live in

I know, plastic, shocking stuff, but I like these 'pods' or whatever they're called.

I just wish they were easier to get into