Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank you Cornwall

(12 Posts)
ginny Sun 12-Jul-20 22:29:33

We dithered about coming away in our caravan to Cornwall, after reading that tourist might not be wanted.
I would like to say ‘thank you, Cornwall’. for making us feel welcome and safe. We have met with nothing but friendliness and helpfulness.

grannyrebel7 Sun 12-Jul-20 22:40:00

You lucky thing Ginny! I love Cornwall, especially St. Ives, but we didn't book anything there for the very reason you mentioned. My DS and his family are going to St. Wenn which is supposed to be very quiet. Sounds like you had a lovely time smile

BradfordLass73 Sun 12-Jul-20 22:41:07

I lived in Cornwall for over 7 years and my experience was the same. Wondferful county; wonderful people.

Roobs Mon 13-Jul-20 00:52:19

I am in Devon and we are welcoming tourists. Most people are sensible and keeping within the distance rules . Whilst it’s been lovely having the place to ourselves we don’t actually own it ? so come and enjoy the West Country .

heath480 Mon 13-Jul-20 01:10:20

Please do go,my son is a Chef there,they need the business.

Ellianne Mon 13-Jul-20 08:03:04

Im pleased you came. Of course tourists are wanted and I can't see any reason why you shouldn't feel welcome. Our friends from London popped down on Saturday for the weekend. That was 3 hotel rooms, 5 evening meals and money spent in the shops. Exactly what the region needs.

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 08:08:08

Envy you being in Cornwall ginny it’s a splendid place. Glad you’ve met a warm welcome and are having a good time.

We will be there in just over a month’s time and can’t wait!
We’ll pre order meals in the hotel as there will be fewer tables available in the dining room.
Our room will be clean at the start of our stay and then staff won’t come in for the time we’re there. No problem. I make my bed at home, I can do it in Cornwall ?

JenniferEccles Mon 13-Jul-20 08:41:01

What a lovely thread ginny !

We have a holiday home there and as you said there were some indications a while back that ‘emmets’ might not be welcome!

At the time it was sort of understandable as the rates of infection there were low compared to the rest of the country, but tourism is Cornwall’s biggest industry so they really do need us now!

Now all you need is good weather and your holiday will be perfect!

MellowYellow Mon 13-Jul-20 09:02:08

there were some indications a while back that ‘emmets’ might not be welcome
I live here. I know it seemed we were being unfriendly but there's usually a reason, and over Easter it was scary how many people defied the rules and came anyway, and though it is lovely to have the buzz back here (the streets and beaches are packed) I'm still amazed at how little social distancing is happening. I'm sure no Gransnetters would be careless about that, but many, many tourists are still ignoring the rules, and they're not always younger ones! This isn't a dig, honestly, but I just wanted to say that we were genuinely worried about whether visitors would stick to the rules, and I'm sorry if it came across via the media that people weren't welcome. But I'm so glad you feel welcome ginny, and it is such a glorious place to be!

Ellianne Mon 13-Jul-20 09:08:46

I'm still amazed at how little social distancing is happening.

At least our sheep are quite good at it MellowYellow.

MellowYellow Mon 13-Jul-20 09:19:49

Ha ha, lovely pic Ellianne.

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 06:42:31

What a gorgeous, peaceful scene Elliane.
Thank you for sharing it with us (sub title “spot the sheep”
?