Gransnet forums

Chat

Foolish supermarket purchase

(87 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Mon 13-Jul-20 15:04:00

Got my delivery today and instead of 4 bananas, I'd ordered 4 packs - (5 in each)! Grr.

Now trying to find other recipes as well as banana bread!

I realise I should compulsively check each shopping list!

I also mistakenly once ordered 22 leeks instead of 2 but the supermarket phoned me up to check, as they were huge. Two of them filled one carrier bag and they said that they thought they were going to have to put on another van, just for my order. grin

timetogo2016 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:05:51

That`s why i don`t shop on-line. lol.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:25:38

I thought I'd ordered two big oranges but two bags of big oranges arrived. Still can't understand why I didn't spot the price on the order! Made three cakes and froze them.

I can recommend this banana loaf www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/brilliant-banana-loaf

Bridie22 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:02:45

I ordered I pack of pears and received just one pear!

jane1956 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:07:34

If you like Baileys you can add 2 bananas and ice and mix/liquidise make a great drink

NotTooOld Mon 13-Jul-20 16:10:26

You could bake banana scones (recipes on line) and freeze them for later use.

KerryS Mon 13-Jul-20 16:28:08

I once ordered a pack of sausages, expecting a pack of 8, but received 1 solitary sausage looking very pathetic and lonely!! But it made us laugh!! Whereas my elderly mum, not being used to online shopping, but doing it in lockdown, accidentally ordered 10 large blocks of cheddar instead of 1, and when she went back in to add things to her order, she forgot she'd already ordered cheese and decided to order 2 as she'd run out but and was gobsmacked when she received 12!! She was giving it away!! She did similar with minced beef, wanting 2 but didn't check that she's already added them and added 2 more. I think she was living on cottage pie for a good while!! So she has decided she doesn't like online shopping, and just goes to Aldi now!

janeainsworth Mon 13-Jul-20 16:30:09

Fry your bananas in butter & then add rum grin

lemongrove Mon 13-Jul-20 16:35:00

Or....just drink the rum and eat a banana later.?

lemongrove Mon 13-Jul-20 16:37:12

GrandmaSue I think many people have made mistakes with online shopping blush also there’s the fact that you can’t see sizes easily, recently I ordered a pack of flour and also some hairspray, and when they arrived they were tiny !

paddyanne Mon 13-Jul-20 16:48:10

make Banana ice cream ,just mash the bananas and freeze them its a low fat alternative that I use a lot

SueDonim Mon 13-Jul-20 17:36:26

You can freeze bananas if you don’t want to use them now. They’ll only be good for cooking when defrosted but it takes to pressure off using them all at once!

When we lived abroad I bought my f&v at a street stall. Items were bought either by the kilo or by the ‘piece’ for individual items. I asked for two pieces of mini-cucumbers but when I got home, I found I had two kilos of cucumbers! grin

midgey Mon 13-Jul-20 17:43:48

You can have banana sandwiches! Nothing more delicious whether you could mash or just slice. ? Yum!

MamaCaz Mon 13-Jul-20 17:43:55

lemongrove

GrandmaSue I think many people have made mistakes with online shopping blush also there’s the fact that you can’t see sizes easily, recently I ordered a pack of flour and also some hairspray, and when they arrived they were tiny !

I have done that too, with exactly the same items, and unfortunately it was when doing my mum's online shop, not my own.
Worse still was the bottle of whiskey (only put in the trolley to make the order up to Morrison's minimum spend of £40), as I had failed to notice that its very low price was due to its equally dainty size! blush

lemongrove Mon 13-Jul-20 17:46:53

Glad that others have done the same MamaCaz....I don’t feel as bad about it now.?

Alishka Mon 13-Jul-20 19:02:50

Grandmasu you've really made me laugh with the leeks talegrin

Allegretto Mon 13-Jul-20 19:41:41

A friend thought she ordered 7 bananas, but 7 bunches arrived. The driver greeted her with the question, “Do you have a monkey living here?” He took 6 bunches back.

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 19:50:44

janeainsworth

Fry your bananas in butter & then add rum grin

Alternatively, leave in their 'jackets', slit them open, pour in some rum and a teaspoon of brown sugar.
Bake in the oven, eat with a teaspoon!

I ordered 4 parsnips - a normal amount but each one would have fed a family of 6.

Bottles of Sauvignon Blanc were 4 for the price of 3.
However, I failed to notice the size or price - each bottle was a glass full.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 13-Jul-20 20:23:52

Slice the bananas and freeze in single portions - you can eat from the freezer, just like ice cream!

DanniRae Mon 13-Jul-20 21:11:12

Glad I'm not the only one who gets online orders wrong. I thought I'd ordered 1 bunch of bananas but I got 1 banana! And somehow I ordered 2 huge bags of carrots. Gave one bag away.
I'm more careful now grin

25Avalon Mon 13-Jul-20 21:16:43

I don’t have the recipe but you can make Banana jam which needs about 2lbs of bananas.

callgirl1 Mon 13-Jul-20 22:07:29

I once ordered a swiss roll, 24 arrived, another time the store checked with me as to whether I really wanted 99 bunches of bananas! At the start of lockdown, when only 2 of anything was allowed, I thought it meant packs of things, so ordered 4 carrots, but was only allowed 2!

Blinko Tue 14-Jul-20 08:07:03

When this happens, I nip round the local food bank and donate any extras. So far, we've received 4 bags of apples, a whole box of individually wrapped packs of biscuits and some posh conserve, together with several random items, all of which went to the food bank.

razzmatazz Tue 14-Jul-20 09:51:41

You must have seen them when they were delivered . You can give them to the delivery man back for a refund.

weeducky Tue 14-Jul-20 09:53:57

This, to me, is the funniest Gransnet we've had certainly since I have joined and has made me laugh so much. The only wrong delivery I had was when Cif was called Jif. I ordered 2 Jifs, over the phone, and got 2 bottles of GIN!! Did I keep them?...well that is my secret!