Gransnet forums

Chat

Getting eaten alive (Bites)

(8 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:34:57

Anyone helppp!!! My adult cousin who lives and works in an area next to woodland, has suddenly become the target of it seems every insect out there, Anyone suggest good deterrent, creams or sprays very much appreciated

timetogo2016 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:44:04

Oh how i know how that feels,i had 15 bites on my legs a couple of years ago and still have a few scars.
Since then i spray lavender oil on my clothing and peppermint oil around windows and doors,it realy does help.

fourormore Sun 02-Aug-20 09:46:28

Also try Tea Tree oil and the Avon Skin so Soft original spray seems to be popular for these problems - has to be the Original one apparently!
Good luck - they love me too!!!

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:47:39

We have installed bug screens in every room - it works.

Ellianne Sun 02-Aug-20 09:59:00

Avon skin so soft here too, or eat marmite!

I pay tea tree cream after for soothing.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 02-Aug-20 10:02:49

Many won’t like me saying this but the only deterrent we’ve found that works is Jungle 4. It has deet in it. The jungle spray to relieve bites is excellent too.

We live in middle of a woodland and work outside every day the weather is dry. Worst problem are horseflies which bite/sting through clothing. Even in heat spells we wear long trousers and sleeves.

Over the 40 years of living here we’ve tried every suggestion. We were hoping the Avon product would work but no. My DH is allergic to mosquitoes so had to be super careful. Doctor said years ago to use deet. We use it according to instructions. Brilliant for midges too. When we sit outside (evenings) have citronella cones burning.

I do believe that we all react differently to these deterrents.

So I recommend JUNGLE but if your friend is anti Deet try the other things out there. Good luck to them. They have my sympathies.

I’ve not mentioned ticks !
Nothing will keep these swines of you. They get under clothing too. The twizzle stick is the ONLY way to remove them. Then kill them. No deterrent out there will stop them.

Jellybeetles Sun 02-Aug-20 10:09:42

Boots do their own witch hazel concealer stick for spots and I found it is brilliant and soothing as aftercare on all bites and small scratches. Heals them quite quickly.

Jaxjacky Sun 02-Aug-20 10:19:17

Agree, highest % DEET spray for prevention and an Afterbite stick if you do get bitten.