Gransnet forums

Chat

Bust up at Boots !

(34 Posts)
NanKate Tue 04-Aug-20 15:38:08

We always have our flu jabs at Boots. Both DH and myself rec’d an online invitation to book our jabs. We tried at least 5 times each but the system did not work

I then went to the Pharmacy and it took 2 assistants 25 minutes to eventually book us in for October. I get home to find an email thanking me for CANCELLING one appointment. ? I am spitting feathers by then.

I then phone complaints and Adrian eventually sorted it out so I now have the 2 appointments I want. Phew ?

I’ve just looked and I have 2 identical emails confirming my appointment but don’t mention DH’s.

Just done the online Feedback to tell them their Online Services are not fit for purpose.

DH reminds me that in my conversation with Adrian I swore once. I told DH I could have been a lot more expressive but held back.

I would be interested to hear if any of you have managed to take up their offer online of a flu jab.

GrandmaKT Tue 04-Aug-20 15:40:15

Just out of interest, why do you go to Boots rather than your GP?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Aug-20 15:40:54

I made my appointment on line this afternoon took 5 minutes, with immediate email and text confirmation. (Appt for 17th September)

NanKate Tue 04-Aug-20 15:57:29

Grandma I go to Boots as I can choose the time and date and do not have to queue up with hundreds of other pensioners.

GG13 you must have a magic touch. ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Aug-20 16:03:57

Exactly why I use Boots Nankate. I am fortunate that the small Boots in the next village does vaccinations so I do not have to go into a town centre store.

EllanVannin Tue 04-Aug-20 16:08:05

The nurse at the surgery last week told me on no account must I accept any of the apparent phone-calls offering flu-jabs.
Mine is actually booked at the surgery for when I have my INR next month, 24th.

It sounds as though there's going to be a rush on 'flu-jabs because of the inclusion of those 50 and over so pharmacies will be vying for business.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Aug-20 16:12:57

No idea about phone calls I have had my flu vaccination at the pharmacy for the last ten years, easier when working and just carried on.

Calendargirl Tue 04-Aug-20 16:17:17

I understood the over 65’s and vulnerable people were going to be jabbed first, then it would be offered to the over 50’s, so shouldn’t affect older people getting theirs done. The government has bought in huge quantities already.

Calendargirl Tue 04-Aug-20 16:19:24

GP’s want you to have it done at their surgery to get the payment for doing it. Which is why they are cross if we have it done at the Boots pharmacy next door.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Aug-20 16:19:36

I use Boots or Superdrug too I normally just walk in while I’m out shopping.... to go to the GP takes me two bus rides and have to go on a certain day and join a queue so very much easier for me to goon town centre while out and about

BlueBelle Tue 04-Aug-20 16:21:03

Do you have to make an appointment this year at a pharmacy as I normally just walk in off the street

Sussexborn Tue 04-Aug-20 16:32:00

I’ve had mine done at our small local Boots for the last few years. They ask if we want one then do it straight away. Usually had to wait around at the surgery, sometimes for an hour despite having an appointment.

geekesse Tue 04-Aug-20 17:03:59

I’ve just booked my jab at our local Boots online with no problems at all.

SueDonim Tue 04-Aug-20 18:07:56

On the back of this thread, I called my surgery to ask about arrangements. I was told that the local Health Board had informed surgeries that they would be taking over the flu programme but that as far as the surgery knows, nothing has been done. confused

If the surgery is allowed to run a programme, it won’t be until late autumn/early winter. Madness!

kittylester Tue 04-Aug-20 18:14:03

I booked with our pharmacy (Lloyds) for both DH and I. Our surgery was very late offering last year and I am not prepared to wait though I do know the reasoning behind using the gp.

Anyway, the extremely lovely and perceptive pharmacist told me that if it was decided to only offer it free to over 65s then I would need to pay! I love him!!

cornergran Tue 04-Aug-20 18:25:19

Navigated the Boots system Nankate, it wouldn’t work for a few minutes and then suddenly it did. Busy I guess. I used the option to also book for another family member for Mr C, all confirmed. Pleased you finally got there. We also prefer the convenience of a timed appointment so have used Boots for a few years.

Grandmafrench Tue 04-Aug-20 18:34:39

I always think that timing can be a problem. No point in waiting until flu cases are recorded everywhere, but you have to allow 2 to 3 weeks after the flu shot to get immunity and then you’re covered for at least 3+ months. We try to aim for early October in the hope that we’ll then get through to end January-ish with real cover. Wonder if masks will make a difference this year......bet we’ll still be wearing them in the winter sad

Wonder if there will actually be more of an uptake this year? We have medics in the family who confirm that not enough people have the flu shot in the UK., even if they’re at high risk. Same here in France, so our Doctor says. Pensionable age we’re sent an invitation for a free shot each autumn. You take the form to the pharmacy and are given the vaccine to put in the fridge. Then you can go see a Nurse or, if you prefer, phone and ask her or him to come to your home for that. The reason that nurses will call at your home if asked is to encourage everyone to take up the Government drive to inoculate! If you don’t qualify for a free shot, the pharmacy will charge anyone about £3 and the Nurse will charge about £6. Your form is signed when you are given the inoculation and sent to your Doctor so that it’s recorded on your notes.

annodomini Tue 04-Aug-20 18:38:46

Ouqur local practice has details on its website of the arrangements to be made for the flu immunisations this autumn. Instead of the massive queue we usually have each year, they will allocate times to each of us, a smaller group at a time, and will not be using their consulting rooms but are hiring bigger spaces - I expect community centres will be used. A lot of careful planning is going into trying to avoid crowds,

annodomini Tue 04-Aug-20 18:39:25

I see fat fingers were at work on the first line of my post!

Oldbat1 Tue 04-Aug-20 19:13:49

Never a problem in my small town. GP/nurses already have appointment sessions set up. Over 65s first - Ours is 12th Sept at 9.40am. They run very smoothly. In one door out the side door. Be interesting with social distancing this year as normally it is a bit of a get together with lots of chatting and hugging going on.

Charleygirl5 Tue 04-Aug-20 19:44:03

I normally pop into my local pharmacy and it is done there and then. I could walk there but I normally drive because it is en route to Waitrose.

I must find out if I have to make an appointment this year but I doubt it. As soon as they have the vaccine it is all systems go.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Aug-20 19:45:59

nankate I ve just tried to book a jab at Boots online and it won’t accept my email address which I ve tried about ten times now

kittylester Tue 04-Aug-20 20:07:03

I have found Boots on line hopeless since lockdown.

NanKate Tue 04-Aug-20 20:09:29

I got so frustrated BlueBelle just like you. If a company such as Boots can’t sort it’s software what hope is there. Hope you can sort it by going to the pharmacy but that was just as bad for me.

NanKate Tue 04-Aug-20 20:10:34

Thanks Kitty we should have a thread for good and bad companies but no doubt HQ wouldn’t like that.