Gransnet forums

Chat

Hot weather, I used to love it, but don’t now!

(50 Posts)
Jaxjacky Thu 06-Aug-20 19:06:08

Hi, we’re in south Hampshire, a few years ago, I’d have been basking in the garden, wishing for a pool, now it’s blinds closed, fan on! Are you the same, or loving it?

MellowYellow Thu 06-Aug-20 19:11:28

I can't take heat or sun, love the other seasons but grit my teeth through the summer. Been like this all my life!

BlueBelle Thu 06-Aug-20 19:11:36

I love it I m 75 and never grown out of loving the heat It’s the cold that I feel more as I get older

GrandmaMoira Thu 06-Aug-20 19:18:29

I've never liked extreme heat but find it more difficult than ever these days. Last week I got so hot that my face was like a beetroot, I felt felt like I had a temperature and didn't cool down all evening. I'm quite red today as well. I'm dreading tomorrow.
Just to be awkward, I don't like the cold either!

anna7 Thu 06-Aug-20 19:21:43

I love the sun. Unfortunately, living in Greater Manchester, I don't see much of it. Luckily, it's supposed to be nice this weekend. I'm not holding my breath though. sunshine

seacliff Thu 06-Aug-20 19:31:28

I love it if I don't have much to do. I feel sorry for workers including my paramedic son, wearing all the protective gear, masks etc and lugging heavy people around in this heat.

Luckily we are 3 miles from the sea, so the best thing on a scorching day is to take a chair, book and drink, and sit there and enjoy the sea breeze. Provided the many visitors haven't found all our quiet spots.

Urmstongran Thu 06-Aug-20 19:48:38

I love it as long as my head & shoulders are in the shade.
😊🌞

Jzpap Thu 06-Aug-20 19:59:13

I agree with OP I can’t cope with the heat as I’ve got older (basically since becoming post menopausal). I do however love sunshine. Despite lockdown we had the most beautiful Spring I’ve ever known as it was mild (not hot) and sunny every day. I also love sunny winter days especially if there’s a bit of snow around! I always say my limit temperature wise is 20C but at an absolute push and if I’m doing nothing 22C

Grandmabatty Thu 06-Aug-20 20:00:34

I enjoy warmth and sunshine but a gentle warmth, not intense heat. And that's just as well as I live in Scotland 🙄. I have a problem regulating my body temperature so I usually sit in the shade.

craftyone Thu 06-Aug-20 20:07:17

I hate the heat, always have done. My house is like a cave right now, ready for the next few days, windows will all be open later, as soon as outside is cooler than inside. A big downside to living in the south, I am saving with the aim to move to cumbria in 7 years or so, yes I know anything could happen but nice to have an aim. It will mean full circle for me. It naturally depends on dd and her family, I would follow on, she wants to go back there and I would very willingly go too

My plantation shutters are closed all over the house right now and the fan is on. I have a tall fan upstairs and will put it on a timer when I go to bed, to waft cooler air over me. Its going to be a L--O--N--G night

dahlia Thu 06-Aug-20 20:20:18

I, too, find the hot weather difficult, and I even dislike appointments when it is hot e.g. hair, dentist, as I feel anxious that I will begin to "glow" and my discomfort will become obvious to others. I find meditation helps at times, but I look forward to the cooler times of year. Love the long light evenings, though, when I can work in my garden, so guess I just want to control the weather!

Jaxjacky Thu 06-Aug-20 20:39:12

I think max 24/5 is my limit, even then, I’m indoors, blinds closed, fan on, we’re predicted 30+ for next 4 days. Ironically, my husband from Ireland, with typical Celtic colouring loves it, whereas I’m olive skinned! Post 62, nope...not even menopause to blame...

Puzzler61 Thu 06-Aug-20 20:59:28

If I’m at home, like this week, I enjoy high temperatures as long as I can avoid chores and do nothing, just sit in the shade.

We’ve known all week that tomorrow is going to be a hot day - so I’m prepared. A friend is visiting and we’ll sit in our garden under a parasol with cool drinks and fruit slices from the fridge.

32 degrees when we’re abroad on holiday - with a pool - is just right. It’s lovely to dip in and out of the pool or sit with my feet dangling in, reading and then when it goes a little cooler in the evening we enjoy sitting at bars and restaurants outside.

ladymuck Thu 06-Aug-20 21:00:40

My fathers occupation meant that I spent many years in the Middle East. The heat never bothered me.
Now, I feel quite ill when the temperature goes above about 75C

Chewbacca Thu 06-Aug-20 21:31:43

Never been one for hot weather but even more so now. I hate it when I can feel beads of perspiration trickling down my face and neck and so never sit in the sun. Which is a pity as my garden is south facing.

CherryCezzy Thu 06-Aug-20 21:45:50

I love the sun but the feeling is not mutual.

sodapop Thu 06-Aug-20 21:49:34

I can't tolerate the sun and heat either Mellowyellow I feel sick and headachey. Roll on Autumn

Lucca Thu 06-Aug-20 22:27:53

Love the sun and heat. It’ll be a warm game of tennis tomorrow I guess !

FoghornLeghorn Thu 06-Aug-20 22:53:50

Hate it. I’m dreading tomorrow as 33 degrees is forecast and next week isn’t much better. 🥵

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:59:59

I hope you’re relaxing somewhere cool today (Friday) MellowYellow , and that your pains are easing. Get engrossed in a really good read ..... 💐

timetogo2016 Fri 07-Aug-20 13:31:13

Hate it always have always will,i love the Autumn and Spring.

Serendipity22 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:00:14

I read all the posts with glee because I thought that maybe my intolerance of the heat was my own problem.

I once, absolutely baked in the sun.. front, back,front, back... I would do the housework before taking the children to school, *for the sole purpose of 'cooking myself stupid'.

Now, I literally turn I to nothing more than a limp lettuce, maybe it's a lot to do with the fact I have MS, but i have thought geeeee how I've changed

We went to Dubai 3 years ago !!! and it was #[email protected]%!%!$!#!%!%!%! (( that translates nicely to IT WAS FLIPPIN HOT )) ...I would say it must have been similar to being in a gas oven on number 10 !!!!! Needless to say, 99.9% of our holiday was spent in shopping malls where there was wonderful air conditioning.

smilesmilesmile

Urmstongran Fri 07-Aug-20 15:50:18

Dubai is a city in the Arabian desert. Seems daft to me anyway. Mecca to consumerism.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:52:37

Urmstongran

Dubai is a city in the Arabian desert. Seems daft to me anyway. Mecca to consumerism.

Absolutely but the hotels, food and shopping are fabulous and the service is second to none 🍾🛍🛍🏝

AGAA4 Fri 07-Aug-20 16:01:30

I don't like the heat now I am older. Love sunny warm Autumn days as the heat usually doesn't get too intense.