Gransnet forums

Chat

Hot or What today!! Is this a record?

(19 Posts)
Craftycat Fri 07-Aug-20 15:04:47

I have just got back from a nice shady garden pub lunch & the temperature on our patio is 112C. We are in Surrey.
I have never seen it that hot before. Luckily I love the heat & I can take it!
Anyone beat that?
My poor garden/ pots though. A LOT of watering later.

Riverwalk Fri 07-Aug-20 15:20:36

Well 112C would be some record! grin

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-20 15:29:13

Dd and SiL have gone camping with 3 little Gdcs and friends with similar, near the S coast.

Dd texted a while ago - ‘It’s feckin’ hot!’
They were off to the beach.
I haven’t dared to check the forecast - just hoping for cooler tomorrow.
Typical innit, usually in the U.K. you can almost guarantee that when you go camping for the first time, it’ll be peeing down with rain!

lemongrove Fri 07-Aug-20 15:30:33

Riverwalk

Well 112C would be some record! grin

It certainly would.
112F is bad enough.?

lemongrove Fri 07-Aug-20 15:32:00

It’s hot here too, but manageable with fans on full blast and blinds closed, with forays into shady bits of the garden clutching an iced drink.
Last Friday was worse IMHO

Riverwalk Fri 07-Aug-20 15:34:44

It's currently 36C in the shade of my garden - there's a gentle breeze blowing around my legs but even that's warm!

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 15:44:31

Just nicely warm here with a gentle breeze and occasional spots of rain.

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:47:46

31 degs in Worcs and the odd large few drops of warm rain
☀️ ? ?

BBbevan Fri 07-Aug-20 15:48:03

Warm here but just clouded over. No rain though

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:49:35

37 C here in S E Essex when I can drag myself out of my air-conditioned car I shall be dangling my feet in the spa which is set on low ?⛱?‍♀️

Nortsat Fri 07-Aug-20 15:49:37

lemongrove ?

JenniferEccles Fri 07-Aug-20 16:09:26

Very hot here too in Berkshire but we now have a few wispy white clouds so the sun is hazy.

Don’t you just love being British? !
We are endlessly fascinated with our weather aren’t we ?!

What fascinates me is how it varies so much in different parts of our tiny country.

There have been comments from some up north saying that they haven’t really had a summer, yet here we desperately need rain for the garden.

I have gone against every instinct and kept the windows shut. The curtains are pulled on the sunny side, open on the north facing windows and the house is bearable.

I will open them all this evening when it cools down.

farview Fri 07-Aug-20 16:36:54

Well warmish here up North...but cloudy all day...sort of feels as if it may rain although not forecast...I want sunshine ?

ladymuck Fri 07-Aug-20 16:41:28

Up here in Lancashire it's pleasantly warm but certainly not hot. It's been overcast all day which might be why the strength of the sun has been less powerful.

MamaCaz Fri 07-Aug-20 17:28:37

Here in Northants, I don't think it's been as hot today as it was last week (thank goodness!) - a max of 33° today on the thermometer, and I think that was a misleadingly high reading from beneath a dark-coloured canopy.

It's been several degrees lower this afternoon, as the sky has clouded over.
Much more bearable temperature-wise, but I am itching like mad because of thunderbugs!

Charleygirl5 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:31:23

It is 36C here but it looks as though the heavens may open. I do hope so and I will not have to water anything.

Squiffy Fri 07-Aug-20 17:41:21

It feels as though we may be in for a thunderstorm here. Could do with it to clear the air and fill the water butts!

cornergran Fri 07-Aug-20 18:16:05

In our bit of Somerset it’s what I would call pleasant. Not overly hot. A mix of sun and cloud today, gentle breeze. Sometimes our seemingly always different weather is a bonus.

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-20 18:29:53

Ooh I’m so jealous, dd just sent a vid of them swimming in the sea!
Have told dh we MUST go and get some Vitamin Sea somewhere, if it’s still hot after the weekend.