I am hoping to move house soon and will need a stair lift there and some rails on outside some steps. I already have a stairlift company who have said they can do it for a reasonable amount, but thought it might be worth talking to an OT to make sure I was getting the best sort of rails etc. I contacted Community Therapy Services, found the right office for the area and arranged with them that I would let them know when I have a move date. All fine so far.
I asked if there might be financial help towards this and if the financial rules were the same as for other care needs. They did not know and gave me the number of the SS who, they said, would be able to help me.
Rang the SS - no, not their thing and to ring therapy services. Er......I've just rung them and they said to ring you. Silly conversation ensued, after which I threw in the towel and sent an email.
Phone call response to that email:
- "I'm ringing you about your email"
- "Oh thanks!"
- "In order to get any help you have to be assessed by Therapy Services"
- "Yes - all that is organised, as I explained in my email. I am just needing to know about the finances. Are the rules the same as SS?"
- "No you need the Home Improvement Agency."
- "Who are they?"
- "A central government agency."
- What do they do?"
- They can assess you for a Disabled Facilities Grant"
- "How does that work?"
- "Well, you need an assessment from Therapy Services"
- "Yes - I have already organised that." [there ensued a lengthy conversation to convince her of that!]
- "You have to go onto the Ferret Renovator website [I kid you not!].
- "Ah - what is that"
- "It will tell you what you might have to pay."
- "Do you have the web address?"
- "Yes, but you cannot access it unless you pay"
- "Ah - how much do I have to pay?"
- "I don't know."
[I then took a new tack.....]
- "How long does it take to get the grant?"
- "It depends what you want."
- "I need some outdoor rails and a stair lift indoors."
- " Are the stairs straight?"
- "Ah - well that will take longer"
- "Could you tell me roughly how long please?"
- "About a year"
- "I could have fallen down the stairs dozens of times by then."
- "I think I will just borrow the money"
Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-20 09:33:11
Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-20 09:37:58
Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 09:42:47
honeyrose Sat 08-Aug-20 09:46:18
BlueSky Sat 08-Aug-20 09:53:24
midgey Sat 08-Aug-20 09:59:23
Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-20 10:10:29
ninathenana Sat 08-Aug-20 10:16:59
Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 11:08:29
Oopsadaisy3 Sat 08-Aug-20 11:14:03
Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-20 11:29:06
Tweedle24 Sat 08-Aug-20 11:45:17
Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 11:46:11
BlueSky Sat 08-Aug-20 12:35:34
midgey Sat 08-Aug-20 13:12:54
Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-20 15:37:10
midgey Sat 08-Aug-20 15:53:20
BlueSky Sat 08-Aug-20 16:57:21