Gransnet forums

Chat

Noises

(150 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 18:51:29

Yesterday there was a thread about dogs barking, and I thought how much I would hate to live near someone whose dog barks excessively.

I think it could make me ill, seriously.

My mum didn't like the sound of washing billowing on the line when it was really windy.

Are there sounds that you love or hate?

My girl said a happy childhood memory for her was the sound of the grill pan sliding out for my toast, once she was tucked up in bed.

BlueBelle Tue 11-Aug-20 19:05:01

My dad lived next door to people who left their dog all day while they were at work It used to cry and whimper and be thoroughly unhappy all day, it really upset my Dad I would hate that too as I d want to go and rescue it
I couldn’t bear listening to a dog barking all day either

PinkCakes Tue 11-Aug-20 19:05:46

There's a dog on the street that backs onto my garden, and it's usually barking for hours on end - Sunday for about 8 hours! Poor thing. I could seriously punch the owners - if only I knew where the dog lived.

I hate the sound of strimmers, ticking clocks, anyone crunching or slurping (my husband does both).

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 19:07:07

How about windchimes?
I've heard of a few people not liking the sound.

PinkCakes Tue 11-Aug-20 19:13:00

I forgot windchimes - I hate those, too grin

blossom14 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:26:33

I used to work for Environmental Health a good proportion of our complaints were barking dogs and noisy music. The ones that always stuck in my mind were somewhat odd as some people had tinnitus and recording machines made it clear there was no noise.
However we had one very vociferous complaint about a water fountain tinkling in a next door pond.
Personally I like to hear rain on the roof when tucked up in bed at night.

kittylester Tue 11-Aug-20 19:28:14

I've got a grandmother clock that ticks and chimes. I don't notice it mostly but I really miss it when stops.

BlueSky Tue 11-Aug-20 19:30:28

Love wind chimes! In fact can't think of any noise I really dislike.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 19:33:23

I like the Tibetan ringing (or maybe singing?) bowls.

annep1 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:52:25

I love the rain on our caravan roof, but I hate the sonud of seagulls on it!

annep1 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:52:44

sound!

midgey Tue 11-Aug-20 19:58:48

Oh god....those bloody wind chimes!

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 20:01:26

Does it matter what they're made from?
Are bamboo less hateful than the metal ones?

Chewbacca Tue 11-Aug-20 20:11:01

Wind chimes are the work of the devil, no matter what they're made of. I really don't like to hear anyone else's choice of music blaring in their garden whilst I'm trying to sit quietly in mine and read. I also detest those damned car alarms that go off every few minutes, usually in the dead if night. But I love the sounds of a ticking clock; rain on windows, especially when I'm in bed at night and birds singing in the garden.

BlueSky Tue 11-Aug-20 20:21:29

I find the cry of the rag and bone man quite unsettling. The poor kids must have been terrified in the old days thinking it was the bogeyman!

lemongrove Tue 11-Aug-20 20:24:09

I like bamboo wind chimes ( yes, I have one!) and love the clonking sound it makes, although I agree the metal ones are tinny.
I also like: the sound of gentle rain falling, the noise that circling red kites make, ditto for seagulls, and also owls ( we seem to be surrounded by owls, it’s all the tall trees nearby.)
Any ticking clocks, the sound of the tide coming in at the seaside, children singing ( but not shrieking) all birdsong especially the blackbirds in the evening.

brook2704 Tue 11-Aug-20 20:34:30

One of my favourite sounds is that of waves at the seaside - either gentle ones lapping on the sand or big waves crashing on the rocks.... or a gentle breeze wafting the trees ....

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 20:37:07

Oh yes, I love to hear the waves when they're all choppy and frothy on the waters edge.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Aug-20 20:51:21

Cannot tolerate wind chimes in any form, I love the sound of rain on skylights in my kitchen.

Iam64 Tue 11-Aug-20 20:53:41

I love wind chimes, either metal or bamboo, also goat bells.

We have a gun dog living nearby, who lives in a very large enclosure with indoor space in the owner's garden. It is walked at 8 and at 5, for about half an hour. that's it, otherwise it lives alone in its enclosure. It starts to whine half an hour before the morning and evening walks and cries quietly until let out. I've found this upsetting when I've been in my garden.

I dislike the whining noise of electric fence cutters, lawn mowers etc - long for peace and quiet (with the odd tinkle from the wind chimes)
I'm another who loves the sound of water, especially the sea

annep1 Wed 12-Aug-20 02:54:54

Lemongrove surrounded by owls
How lovely. I remember staying awake on our French campsite in a forest to hear the owls.

BlueBelle Wed 12-Aug-20 03:58:27

iam64 I m with you I love wind chimes tinkling away I have some in my garden and so does my next door neighbour
Living by the sea I love that sound too The waves the birds The sound of kids playing and having fun
On a warm day I like hearing sounds in the distance

Calendargirl Wed 12-Aug-20 07:00:51

Hate to hear a dripping tap.
People sniffing (blow your nose!)

Like to hear ticking clocks (soothing)
Gentle rain.

ladymuck Wed 12-Aug-20 07:03:32

Peacocks are beautiful birds but they make a horrible noise and do it all night. I took my children hosteling in the Yorkshire Dales and we were kept awake all night by them.

JuneRose Wed 12-Aug-20 07:16:04

I'm with pinkcakes - slurping and crunching particularly apples ? unreasonable I know!