Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, that's ONE way to cool down ?

(14 Posts)
phoenix Wed 12-Aug-20 15:04:14

So there I was, flushing a jar of tartare sauce down the sink, as you do. It was unopened, 2 years out of date, probably fine, but I was having a Good Housekeeping moment and clearing out the fridge. (Doesn't spinach go weird when you've forgotten its in the veg/salad drawer?confused)

Anyway, I was rinsing out the jar to go in the recycling ?, swiveled the tap round. At that point the tap decided it's relationship with the fixing was over, and decided it was off. Literally.

It flew into the air. Without the tap to keep it under control, the water too made a bid for freedom. confused. I had the flipper thing fully down, and was quite impressed with the height the water reached, right up to the ceiling and bouncing back down shock

Channelling my inner Penelope Pit stop (remember Whacky Races?) I shouted "help, ooh help!"

my neighbour, who was cleaning his car put his head inside the open window, catching some of the rebound from the ceiling. (Bit less to mop up, I suppose, but I did hand him a piece of kitchen roll for his glasses)

Mr P was upstairs in the home office, speaking on the phone to one of the developers he has to deal with, who also heard me. He very kindly said "Mr P, it sounds as though you may be needed" and arranged to call back. smile Poor Mr P, he goes to such lengths to be professional when working from home, even down to wearing a shirt and trousers every day!

Well, although I wasn't traumatised, I was a tad discombobulated. Thank heavens my tea hadn't gone cold.

So, mop and bucket, me thinks. Oh well, the floor will be better for a clean.

Now, how to tackle that aged jar of chutney.................

FarNorth Wed 12-Aug-20 15:13:06

That was certainly good luck about the tea. smile

SueDonim Wed 12-Aug-20 15:18:10

grin A short, sharp shock!

A while back we had a leak in our boiler. I was about to go away for a couple of days, meanwhile Dh decided he’d have a look at the boiler. I stuck my head round the door of the futility room to say goodbye at the exact time Dh lifted the lid off the boiler.

A jet of water like the Old Faithful geyser shot upwards and ricocheted off the ceiling, sousing Dh from top to toe. I bade him a fond farewell and scarpered PDQ, returning home two days later to learnt that Neil The Plumber had been called and had carried out an efficient repair within a very short space of time, which of course is what Dh should have organised in the first place. hmm

Trisha57 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:24:33

A similar thing happened to me and DH quite a few years ago. It was the night before we were due to move house and, as I attempted to disconnect the washing machine, the little valve and keeps the water in the pipes once the washing machine is no longer there just disintegrated. Mains pressure water coming out of the cupboard under the sink (where said washing machine pipe fed from) and soon there was water lapping at the living room carpet. Husband tried to turn off stopcock (also in cupboard under the sink) but it was jammed. He exited backwards from the cupboard with his glasses askew like Eric Morecambe as the water had blasted them across his face!! We eventually managed to turn off the water (well, I did anyway just by brute force) and spent the entire evening clearing up the mess and bailing out the kitchen with a dustpan, which was all we could find in the packed boxes at short notice. And the following day, when we finally entered our new house it was to find that, where the previous owners had disconnected their washing machine, there was an ominous drip, drip, drip which got faster and faster as the afternoon went on and we had to turn off the water until we could find a plumber!

Trisha57 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:26:11

"little valve THAT keeps the water in the pipes"

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 15:27:12

I love the sound of your futility room SueDonim! grin

AGAA4 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:27:14

At least the floor had a good clean!

lemongrove Wed 12-Aug-20 15:30:48

But you are made of stern stuff Phoenix and I know that even if your tea had gone cold you would have drunk it without a murmur.? Did you shake your fist Heavenwards though?
It’s never worth spring cleaning the food cupboard, so many things can go wrong.On the other hand....you now have a clean kitchen floor.?

sharon103 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:34:18

Hilarious phoenix. lol I can just imagine the scene. grin
I'd put the chutney in the bin if I was you.

phoenix Wed 12-Aug-20 17:48:49

sharon103 I suppose I could put it in the caddy (we have one for waste food etc that is collected along with the recycling) and rinse it very gently? I'm a bit worried about that tap now!

phoenix Wed 12-Aug-20 17:50:21

Well, part of the floor is clean, lemongrove, I didn't want to over exert myself in this heat.

Kamiso Wed 12-Aug-20 18:02:57

Yesterday lunchtime I found two jars of tartare sauce both with about one tablespoon used. I had some of the least out of date one and seem to have survived ok.

We had a tap incident recently. At least it meant I didn’t need a shower before bed. Now have a shiny new tap that looks a bit odd in our non shiny kitchen sink.

sodapop Wed 12-Aug-20 18:13:56

You are having a few domestic issues lately Phoenix maybe it's time to devolve responsibilities to Mr P and take to your sofa with a bottle of gin.
At least you have a partially clean floor and a tartare sauce free zone. grin

phoenix Wed 12-Aug-20 18:24:36

sodapop poor Mr P is truly, properly working from home, and is being very diligent about it! I really can't put anything else on his "to do" list.

Not a gin drinker, but am currently enjoying a glass of Cava while cooking the ingredients for a salad Nicoise, Mr P's request for supper, he said "Lets have that, after all you don't want to be cooking in this heat".

Erm, ok, so I'll just do the potatoes, the eggs and the French beans then.confused