Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(66 Posts)
12Michael Thu 13-Aug-20 06:17:25

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dry start but it has been thundery overnight , mind you sleeping is very hard with this so called tropical nights .
Anyway today , usual trip by bus to Buckingham and Bicester and come back to watch cycling on TV this afternoon .
I only hope like most we get cooler and more lower temperatures.
Take Care ,
Mick

grandMattie Thu 13-Aug-20 06:29:24

Good morning from a clear E Kent. We had rain at about 040p which woke me up. It hasn’t really made much difference as it will be even more humid today.
Such a hot day yesterday with everyone moping and dripping about.
DGD1 woke up with a cough , a sore throat and a temperature! Agonised mother took her to drive in test place. Won’t know the results for up to 48 hours, but with any luck today. I’m really annoyed as the girls went to circus school in Bristol, knowing full well that they were coming here. I’m not that bothered but cross because we hadn’t seen DD and girls before because they were worried about infecting us.
We’re having an “unbirthday” party for all those whose birthdays have been in lockdown. Should be fun.
To all those in distress, there is light; to those in pain, it will get better; and to everyone!have a good day.

Gelisajams Thu 13-Aug-20 06:35:24

Good morning from a warm Morecambe Bay. Hopefully it will be a little cooler today. My gardens will have to wait till next week it’s far too hot too work properly.
Today we are getting super super super fast broadband. It’s one of these government initiatives with grants, which someone on the estate has organised. We have very poor reception here for mobile phones, tv and broadband. We have the wrong sort of hills nearby apparently!
I received a Pilates stick I had sent for yesterday so may try it out later.
When I pop back on later I hope there’s some good news from Gilly and others who have been struggling recently. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Grannyflower Thu 13-Aug-20 06:45:26

Ooo Gelisajams. What is a Pilates stick?

Scentia Thu 13-Aug-20 06:48:25

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire, it is hot already this morning. I did think it would be a little cooler after the rainstorm, but it doesn’t feel like it.
Work to do at the factory today then DH and I are off to visit our DS and DDiL in their new home. I have some pictures for them as this house is a lot bigger and they have more wall space!
We don’t get invited over very often so we are super excited, the new house is on the embankment in a very metropolitan part of the city, I bet it is lovely. Can you tell I am excited. I bet they will thank me for the pictures and pop them under the stairs. It is difficult if you don’t spend a lot of time together to know what they will like. I know exactly what my DD would and wouldn’t like!

Try to stay cool today folks and smile if you can?

Pantglas2 Thu 13-Aug-20 06:51:19

Morning all from a cooler Spain where I actually slept under the duvet cover for the last few hours so a definite change here after our storm, for the better IMO!

Didn’t make lunch out after all yesterday as everyone and everything ran late so will treat ourselves today instead and will probably enjoy it more as I hate cramming too much into a day. I’ve learned to pace myself at last ?

? some sunshine for those in need and hope all goes well with your world everyone x

mancgirl Thu 13-Aug-20 07:05:41

Good morning from a bright but not fully sunny Manchester. Yesterday was soooo hot and humid. Spent most of the afternoon reading in the garden in the shade. Mr M still finding the energy to do the borders on the garden. He can't sit and relax, for some reason he feels guilty if he's not doing something. I've learned to let go - just a little. Must be a condition of our upbringing. At tea time our 2yo gs arrived for an hour. As the hose pipe was already out, great fun was had by all being sprayed by him. Certainly cooled us down ?. Have a good day everyone.

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 07:05:45

Good morning Mick and all. I’ve decided not to use the w*****r word and perhaps it will return to it’s normal British state and desist from annoying us all,

Pants I too learnt to pace myself when I retired, and yesterday did precisely ... nothing. My sister visited, we sat in a room with the blinds shut, over a metre apart, and I positioned 2 fans so that 1 pointed at each of us. We had a catch-up chat and drank 2 iced drinks plus a Magnum each while she was here (chinwagging is thirsty work).

I’m sitting in bed thinking about how little I can do today ?

Gelisajams I’ve used a Pilates ball but am waiting to hear what you do with a stick? And super super super broadband? You’ve got it all going on as the young ones say.

Grandmattie I can feel your annoyance, I would feel like that too. I really hope your GD is okay though (as I know you do too).

I hope you all have the luxury to do similar.
Mick enjoy the cycling coverage.
Take care everyone ?

kittylester Thu 13-Aug-20 07:23:39

Morning all from a dull and breezy North Leicestershire. I doubt it will stay like this for long.

This morning one of us is taking ds1 to hospital for a botox injection while the other collects 2 dec from the other side of the county. This was obviously on my mind when I woke up 5.10, thought the clock said 6.10, got out of bed, made the tea, brought it back to bed and then realised the real time!! I suppose I should do something useful with the extra hour......

Wishing everyone a good and happy day.

Grammaretto Thu 13-Aug-20 07:23:47

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Cool and misty. Never can I remember such a North South divide like this.
Lots of people will be clearing up after floods in Scotland.

Relief and delight to see happy photos of DGD first day at school.
She seems to have made a friend but the cuddles with her sister afterwards are really lovely.
I hope Marydoll's wee bairn had a successful daý too.
I left DH at home and went for a long walk yesterday and felt better for it.
Today some mending to do. Gardening and a friend for tea in the garden, if fine and perhaps DH will be able to go for a short walk.
Have a pleasant day all of you.
Enjoy the cycling Mick

Sar53 Thu 13-Aug-20 07:33:49

Good morning from another bright and sunny day in Essex by the sea, although thunderstorms are expected later.
DH 'collected' me from DD2 yesterday and we went out for a meal last night. Unfortunately I have been awake half the night with an upset tummy. I'm hoping today will be a bit cooler.
Food shopping this morning and I have a huge pile of ironing to get through .
I've had lots of lovely pictures from DD1 and family from the cottage they are renting in Devon. The two older girls have been learning to surf and are loving it.
Have a lovely day everyone and stay safe xx

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Aug-20 07:45:28

Good morning Muck and all

Sar53 it is not sunny here! just a few miles up the road..........overcast and humid! (Hope you are feeling better soon)

I have to go to M & S food hall today, to pick up pre-ordered school uniform items for GS and do some food shopping.

Nothing else on the agenda.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Lins1066 Thu 13-Aug-20 07:45:59

Good Morning Mick and all from a cloudy, cooler S Welsh coast. The much predicted storm passed us by last night, we heard a few thunder rolls and saw some lightening in the distance. Went for a walk about 8 pm last night when it was a bit cooler. Little on the cards today, must make some cake though as the tin is empty.
Have a pleasant day everyone.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Aug-20 07:52:23

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ?

I slept like the proverbial last night. Wonderful. I very rarely sleep right through the night.

Himself is off across the road to the SuperSol in ten minutes for a shop - ours and our neighbours. I have only been in the supermarket once since the beginning of March! Um.. six months now ... #lazygran. Oh well, he’s gotten so efficient at it why muddy the waters?

Gardens. Read. Pool. Dip. Repeat.

Hope Thursday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Gingster Thu 13-Aug-20 07:55:47

Good morning all. I don’t think my post materialised yesterday, but if it did - apologies for repeating myself.

My brother was here for 3 days to have a much deserved break from Home as his wife has dementia. I think he enjoyed the rest. We walked and talked and spoiled him.

Tomorrow my DD and 4 children arrive aged 4 - 18 for a long weekend. My DS:s and families coming for the day on Saturday and guess what? The weather is changing after all the sun We’ve had for the past few weeks. Never mind they will still swim and have fun (I hope).

My Dgd expects her A level results today. What a fiasco! She’s worked so hard and wants to go to Uni in September (if it’s open). Her course will be Mental Health Nursing. I think she will be In great demand after this pandemic. Here’s hoping ?

I made a fruit cake and lots of sausage rolls yesterday. It was so hot in the kitchen, the pastry was sticking to everything and was damp and out of control. ??.

Shopping and bed making today in readiness for the throng.

Kind thoughts to all ?

Urmstongran Thu 13-Aug-20 07:58:19

damp and out of control ?? probably summed you up too Gingster in that furnace!
?

Pittcity Thu 13-Aug-20 07:58:42

Good morning from thundery Colchester. It's warm and rainy.
Yesterday we stayed in the garden today we'll be indoors.
We are expecting delivery of a replacement gazebo as a cat fell through the roof of the old one...it won't be going up today.

Kalu Thu 13-Aug-20 08:00:09

Good morning all from another sunny day in Glasgow where I am enjoying my al fresco kick start espresso watching the birds fly in and out for breakfast.

I too have learned to pace myself to the extent that ‘must do’ is no longer part of my vocabulary at last Pants and Puzzler. Should I decide to do nothing more than read my book all day, it’s is such a pleasure with no guilt. ?

Washing on and I will spend the rest of the day footering and faffing outdoors. Messaged GD1 wishing her goodluck returning to school today, her reply was, these early mornings are a killer! Too many long lies during lockdown?

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:02:26

Sorry about your gazebo Pittcity - but was the cat alright?

Nannytopsy Thu 13-Aug-20 08:13:17

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Gingster I feel your DGD’s pain - DH’s niece is in the same boat. All A* at GCSE and wants to read medicine but so stressed about what will happen today after this complete fiasco.
We are hoping for some rain soon - yesterday was pretty awful here.
Keep safe everyone

Greyduster Thu 13-Aug-20 08:13:50

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a dull, breezy, thankfully slightly cooler South Yorkshire. More post holiday laundry today - can’t tackle the ironing yet! The garden needs tidying up. DD and her menfolk are travelling back from the West Country today so a nervous day for me until they arrive home. DH’s hearing is not getting any better. Me: “How is your back this morning?” Him: “Cloudy!” Apparently I mumble! Who knew? Have a good day folks.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Aug-20 08:14:39

Cesar cutting the grass now before it gets too hot.
It’s very relaxing watching a man at work.
#lazygran

The gardens are lush right now thanks to his TLC.

brook2704 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:17:03

Good morning everyone from a warm cloudy Inverness. Yesterday the mist lingered most of the morning but by lunchtime it had cleared and the afternoon was hot and sunny. Hot by Inverness standards anyhow - about 22º - Just right for me!
Later today I’m looking forward to seeing my friend for coffee and a catch up at the local garden centre , then a quick shop in Tesco.
I do hope you get the test results today grandmattie and your DGD test is negative
Enjoy visiting your DS swanky new pad scentia , I hope he likes the pictures and I hope you’re feeling much better soon Sar53, take it easy today
Have a great day everyone especially especially those with troubles and worries whatever the day brings ?

MellowYellow Thu 13-Aug-20 08:17:42

Hello everyone from south Cornwall. Lovely coolish rain here! Late night message from my son to ask if 4 year old granddaughter can come again today. Bless her, she can't stay away. So it's baking and painting in her knickers (her mum sends her in pretty clothes which I can never keep clean for two seconds) and Sarah and Duck again and chat chat chat grin and maybe a trip to the allotment. All change soon when she starts school... Back to her home with her this evening for spag bol, fair exchange! Have as good a day as you can everyone.

brook2704 Thu 13-Aug-20 08:20:06

Ooooh urmston I could just do with a dip in that pool right now ........