Gransnet forums

Chat

I am leaving due to the consent message.

(121 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Fri 14-Aug-20 14:40:05

Hi all,
It is an invasion of privacy, I feel so I will be leaving. I will remember you all fondly. Xx
flowersflowersflowers

EDIT by GNHQ: Please see more info on the new consent form here

biba70 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:41:07

I have not had the message- but if I do, I will leave too.

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-20 14:51:40

Before I make any rash decisions, I will look at all the implications, then make up my mind.
We are always being asked to consent to cookies when looking at websites.
I would like to see what is different about this request.

Oopsminty Fri 14-Aug-20 14:52:55

I shall miss you, FlyingHandbag

Bluebellwould Fri 14-Aug-20 14:54:57

What consent message?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:56:06

It is all to do with GN’s loss year on year. Do you remember they put out feelers a while back which didn’t get a great reception. This is all about attracting cash.

EllanVannin Fri 14-Aug-20 14:58:59

The Independent newspaper wants you to stump up money before they allow you to research anything on their site.
Wikipedia is the same with certain information. The Guardian is trying but you can usually grab a few lines of what you want.

Doodle Fri 14-Aug-20 15:08:14

I’ve just had it when I logged on. There is a word that says consent then a slide bar on the right. I am assuming (though I would like to check with GNHQ) that if I slide the bar right (it turns from grey to blue ) that would mean I consent but if I leave it on the grey that means I don’t.
I have just turned them all to grey which I Hope means I don’t consent to anything. Is there more info on this?

MerylStreep Fri 14-Aug-20 15:14:35

Whitewave
You say it's all to do with the cash. Perhaps if they were to treat us as adults and not censor, nitpick everything that doesn't suit their agender perhaps people wouldn't leave and people would post more.

MawB Fri 14-Aug-20 15:19:51

I have done the same as you Doodle - see what, if anything, happens!

Doodle Fri 14-Aug-20 15:22:47

Thing is, how will we know. I am obviously still in and still posting. I hope that leaving all the options grey means no to everything. Other here seem to have had different messages and to have no option to get in without consent.
I find it amazing (or do I ?) that there is nothing about this fro GNHQ. What are they playing at.

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Aug-20 15:23:14

Yep, I did the same as you, Doodle, so I'd say I've consented to nothing new.

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Aug-20 15:23:59

As you say, a bit of warning or explanation would have been nice.

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-20 15:29:33

I cannot find the consent settings on My Gransnet. I followed all the instructions to access it, but still can't find it. Help, please!!!

ayse Fri 14-Aug-20 15:31:44

I’ve changed them all to grey too!

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:37:00

The last pop ups had no slider , the default setting on about 3 of the options were for consent only, that is what I’ve objected to.
I think it was to gather info from all devices from your address. But as it’s disappeared I am waiting for GN to answer my question on Site Stuff and on AIBU.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 14-Aug-20 15:39:03

Oh blimey I just clicked on it without reading it, idiot, though it was just a cookies thing, grrrrrrrrrrr!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:40:41

Hi all,
We don't tend to read every post so if there's something that you'd like us to take a look at in future, please do report it to us so we don't miss anything.

We're checking with our tech team now and will get back to you asap with some answers.

Madgran77 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:51:46

I went through and didn't consent to anything!!

Kate1949 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:55:23

Oh I think I clicked consent without realising what it was. Silly me.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:57:14

Please see more info on the new consent form here

Charleygirl5 Fri 14-Aug-20 16:02:44

LaraGransnet is it possible please to start again? Please may we have another look at the form?

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-20 16:05:01

Thank you Lara. However, t may have been wiser to warn us in advance, BEFORE posters started panicking.

I still cannot find the settings toggle at the bottom of the Privacy page. I'm on a PC. Can anyone help, please?

Elegran Fri 14-Aug-20 16:06:26

If it works the same as similar consent forms on other sites, blue will mean you consent and grey that you don't. Most things you can refuse, but some are needed for a site to function at all.

I am surprised that there are different versions of the consent form. Are you sure there were no options to consent or not to various things? The one I got assumed consent for the essential bits, but gave a choice of optional consent for ads and the traffic analysis ones.

Puzzler61 Fri 14-Aug-20 16:07:30

I will miss you FlyingH but may follow your example ......