Gransnet forums

Chat

Another forum

(22 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:59:12

Can you recommend any similar forums for general chat that might be more user friendly? I never seem to find the posts I was following and it is rare that anyone responds to me.

tanith Sat 15-Aug-20 11:08:18

That’s a shame kircubbin2000 I’m sure it’s not intentional have you tried clicking on ‘active’ ‘I’m on’ or ‘watching’ buttons above to find threads? Or there is the ‘ search’ button.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:10:30

Hi kircubbin2000 cannot help with another forum, sorry your posts are not noticed / answered.

There are some really nice friendly people on GN (I have met some in RL) pick threads that interest you or start your own and see what happens ??‍♀️

kircubbin2000 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:37:42

Thanks tanith, I've never noticed the buttons, I'll have a look.

Auntieflo Sat 15-Aug-20 11:49:01

Hi Kircubbin2000. Sorry you feel that way.

I can sometimes answer on a thread, and stop it stone dead.

Not everyone has their post replied to, so don't give up.
Just say what you want to say, and get it off your chest.

ExD Sat 15-Aug-20 11:54:26

Following on from that please try not to be upset if you sometimes get a hostile reply. I left the group once (early on) because an innocent question was misinterpreted and someone called me a moron. (I'm very thin skinned).
It was quite a shock.
I have learned to ignore that lady as she often posts unkind replies.

mary51 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:55:17

I don't post often but found people are usually very friendly and helpful especially on threads about knitting and craft work and gardening!

Calendargirl Sat 15-Aug-20 11:56:49

Yes, and sometimes you start a thread which you think others might find interesting, and it garners hardly any responses.

You feel a bit ‘snubbed’, but then, there’s lots of threads that I don’t respond to, so it’s swings and roundabouts.

BlueSky Sat 15-Aug-20 12:01:19

Yes you learn to ignore or answer back, which most people don't want, as we have enough aggro in real life. So don't let them worry you, some people are very popular on here and some are not. That's all!

Calendargirl Sat 15-Aug-20 12:01:27

mary51

I don't post often but found people are usually very friendly and helpful especially on threads about knitting and craft work and gardening!

Those are nice, safe, comfy threads, and I don’t mean that in a nasty way.

It’s the News and Politics, ones about the Monarchy, the Coronavirus, that raise some posters blood pressure.

Oh, and of course Brexit still fights a rearguard action.

MerylStreep Sat 15-Aug-20 12:09:07

Kircubbin
I've just looked up 3 threads that you started. I think you got quiet a good response.
One of them had 49 replys. That's not bad. Lots of people who post sometimes have no replys.

twinnytwin Sat 15-Aug-20 12:15:22

I'm fairly new to GN too and am interested in politics (amongst other things). However, I wouldn't dare comment on any of the posts as if someone starts a thread on schools, Brexit, NHS, monarchy etc. the usual suspects jump on it straight away with anti Government rants that we've all read before. I quickly knew what to expect when looking at the posters name. And they can get quite nasty asking for evidence etc when all the comment was someone's own view. I was thrilled when I found GN, but now tend to read the first few News and Politics comments and then go find something kind to entertain me on the site.

Lucca Sat 15-Aug-20 12:22:52

MerylStreep

Kircubbin
I've just looked up 3 threads that you started. I think you got quiet a good response.
One of them had 49 replys. That's not bad. Lots of people who post sometimes have no replys.

I just noticed randomly that someone answered you directly on the consent form thread

Lucca Sat 15-Aug-20 12:24:13

Hi Twinnytwin. The “rants” come from both sides! Anti government (well this one) and pro government.

Grammaretto Sat 15-Aug-20 12:33:17

It took me a while to get "comfortable" with gransnet but now I'm addicted.
I think it's the sheer volume of people on it. There must be tens of thousands which means individual responses can get lost.
There you are, you have written your careful comment and nobody even notices. That is disappointing but it is a chance to Have Your Say.
If it really isn't for you then there are some private facebook interest groups where you might feel more at home.
I've been interested in genealogy for a long time and joined online groups where we offer help and occasionally make friends that way.

In RL I have few friends who are also grandparents so I do like it that we can be ourselves. I can only do "grannyboasts" and share photos with a very few.

twinnytwin Sat 15-Aug-20 12:40:58

Hi Lucca. I've just read a thread that posts very long comment from another website about the government's performance direct each week. On that (sorry can't remember title) there's no pro-govt comments, just infighting between Corbyn and Starmer fans. And it's all the usual suspects. Just saying.

Gosh two comments - I must be getting addicted too.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Aug-20 12:58:02

I still keep an interest in a forum I joined over 8 years ago. If you're into crime it's an interesting one albeit gory at times but it's an on-going crime which I've followed, with even a barrister " on-board ". Same people too over the years.

Kamiso Sat 15-Aug-20 13:18:02

Calendargirl

mary51

Those are nice, safe, comfy threads, and I don’t mean that in a nasty way.

It’s the News and Politics, ones about the Monarchy, the Coronavirus, that raise some posters blood pressure.

Oh, and of course Brexit still fights a rearguard action.

Some days the heavy mob are just tedious and boring but at times they can be very hurtful when they all come out en masse to attack some unsuspecting person who dares to think differently to them.

I’ve sent you a PM with a couple of suggestions for kinder, gentler sites.

Cabbie21 Sat 15-Aug-20 13:33:14

Kamiso, could you name those sites for others to see, please?

Lucca Sat 15-Aug-20 13:37:08

That’s just one thread Twinnytwin.

Beauregard Sat 15-Aug-20 13:46:33

I really enjoy GN. Haven't been on long, but it's nice being able to express an opinion on so many different things which I can't in normal life as, apart from DH, most people aren't interested in the subjects I like. I haven't started a post yet, just commented on others. I did get pulled up by someone once when I dared to be a little controversial on one topic, but you get over it.

lemongrove Sat 15-Aug-20 13:59:04

Just to say.....when you post a comment on any thread, don’t
Automatically think another poster will either answer you or agree with you.It’s enough to make your own comments.
Anyone new will soon realise which threads are better avoided, I don’t mind some confrontation but a single poster who dominates a thread becomes tedious, like a dog with a bone.
There are still many threads to try, if you only want to dip a toe in the water.?
In normal times there are regional GN meet ups which are
lovely, and I have made some good friends that way.