Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do.......?

(86 Posts)
Bluebellwould Tue 08-Sep-20 14:33:47

Manufacturers make ground black/white pepper pots with such large holes? I don’t want a dessert spoonful on my dinner ?.
What other things strike you as stupid?

Ilovecheese Tue 08-Sep-20 14:39:31

Why are bottles of Windolene so easy to knock over.

FindingNemo15 Tue 08-Sep-20 15:16:03

Small print on packaging!

Lucca Tue 08-Sep-20 15:21:22

Clothes size labels too small for me to see without reading glasses, so annoying (first world problem though !)

H1954 Tue 08-Sep-20 15:25:43

FindingNemo15

Small print on packaging!

Yes, this is SO annoying! I frequently have to use a magnifying glass to be able to read labels!

Squiffy Tue 08-Sep-20 15:55:43

Not just the size of the print, but the colours used. Why do they put very pale yellow print on a pastel orange background? ??

shysal Tue 08-Sep-20 16:54:16

Why do shampoo and conditioner bottles look almost identical? I used to struggle without my glasses. I now use a bar of shampoo, which I love.

seacliff Tue 08-Sep-20 16:58:03

Why do they sell matching hair shampoo and conditioner with conditioner being in smaller size. I run out of it when shampoo still going. They must assume the majority use more shampoo than conditioner.

And why don't they put a big S or C on bottles so I can easily see what's what with no glasses on under shower.

janeainsworth Tue 08-Sep-20 17:07:48

seacliff I use far less conditioner than shampoo, and it works the other way for me - I have to buy shampoo before my conditioner has run out.
If I used the same amount of conditioner as shampoo, my hair, which is fairly fine, would just lie flat on my head & wouldn’t have any volume at all.

Lexisgranny Tue 08-Sep-20 17:24:54

Why do they essentially soft labels for clothes have stiff edges guaranteed to scratch sensitive skin! Why do shops stick price labels on the part of packaging that shows instructions for use.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 08-Sep-20 18:37:38

Why does peanut butter come in jars with a silly shoulder which makes it difficult to get the last bit out? Why do some chutneys and jams come in jars which have five or six sides so that you have to scrape the stuff out of corners? Why can't they all just use straight-sided round jars (if that makes sense...) and spend the design money on a fancy label if they feel inclined?

MiniMoon Tue 08-Sep-20 18:38:22

Its black print on a red background that I can't read.

shysal, since I started using a shampoo bar my dry skin has improved tremendously.

Grammaretto Tue 08-Sep-20 19:40:34

Music over talking on the radio - to add tension- is what annoys me at the moment. I am probably losing my hearing somewhat but I often struggle to hear the speaking voice.

And while I'm on the subject: Announcers whose voice tails away just when I am straining to hear the name of who I've been listening to...

Tiny writing on packaging (as above). in bath and shower particularly when you can't wear glasses.

grannyrebel7 Tue 08-Sep-20 19:52:16

Shampoo bars? I like the sound of this. Tell me more MiniMoon smile

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 20:45:44

Bluebellwould

Manufacturers make ground black/white pepper pots with such large holes? I don’t want a dessert spoonful on my dinner ?.
What other things strike you as stupid?

Oh dear, could have asked this too!

For some reason the unground salt came out in a rush and all over my dinner this evening.

MerylStreep Tue 08-Sep-20 20:54:08

granyrebel
I've been using shampoo bars for a couple of years. My reason was to do with my own war on plastic. They last forever.

Spice101 Wed 09-Sep-20 01:05:57

Seacliff said
And why don't they put a big S or C on bottles so I can easily see what's what with no glasses on under shower.

I take a felt pen and put S or C on my bottles - problem solved

JackyB Wed 09-Sep-20 08:10:16

If the print on a package is too small, I hold my phone over it in camera mode and enlarge the picture, or take a photo and enlarge that.

Maggiemaybe Wed 09-Sep-20 08:56:16

Why don’t they swap over the sticky labels supposed to reseal rice etc (that never stick) with the sticky price labels on presents (that stick only too well)?

Shampoo bars are great. I’m not connected with the company in any way, but would highly recommend the Friendly Soap ones.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sep-20 09:35:11

I have struggled to find a suitable shampoo bar. Have tried maybe half a dozen...

klerg000 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:23:37

Hesitate so long when announcing the winners on TV It is not causing suspense. It goes on so long it just makes me angry and bored.

Also small print on medicine bottles. Even with my specks I have to get a magnifying glass.

Maggiemaybe Wed 09-Sep-20 10:23:43

I wonder if it’s to do with your water supply, NotSpaghetti? Ours is very soft, so they work well for me.

www.friendlysoap.co.uk/hard-water/

dolphindaisy Wed 09-Sep-20 10:24:24

For me it's the long loops of tape stitched inside tops. I know these are supposed to be used to hang the top on hangers but they always "escape" when wearing the top, you don't know this unless you pass a mirror I now cut them out and I'm sure others do the same. Surely it would be cheaper for the manufacturer to omit these loops?

Newatthis Wed 09-Sep-20 10:26:46

Why is every packet so difficult to open?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 09-Sep-20 10:27:48

A Lush shampoo bar which I got in a present is great. Once I finish the old bottles of shampoo, I will stick to bars, I think. As you say, MerylStreep, it's a blow for the fight against plastic!