Gransnet forums

Chat

Dried fruit, prunes, pear, figs, apple slices?

(21 Posts)
Nonogran Thu 10-Sep-20 19:29:57

Dear Gransnetters
It seems impossible to buy whole & sliced mixed bags of dried fruit anymore. Eg prunes, pears, apple slices & figs.
I'm talking about the fruits to be soaked and reconstituted.
I've not seen these mixed bags for ages and suddenly have a fancy for a childhood, healthy favourite.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy? Last visits to two different major supermarkets not helpful!!

Cherrytree59 Thu 10-Sep-20 19:45:12

Try Holland and Barrett.
I have bought dried bananas from them in the past.

annodomini Thu 10-Sep-20 20:45:32

Try this link: www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/dried-fruit.
I'm afraid that this seller is actually part of Amazon, but having said that, their prices are good and so far the quality is good as well.

EllanVannin Thu 10-Sep-20 21:35:49

Oh I remember these in the 50's. We always seemed to have a plentiful supply at home. They were lovely.

Esspee Thu 10-Sep-20 21:46:27

Just earlier today I was wondering why we never see blocks of compressed dates which I used to love as a child. My mother made a lovely date and walnut loaf but we children used it sliced thinly as a sandwich filling. Can it still be sourced?

MiniMoon Fri 11-Sep-20 00:18:13

The Grape Tree stores have them. I bought dried pineapple slices there not long ago.
I don't know about mixed fruit slices though.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Sep-20 07:11:14

Our local independent health food shop stocks things like this.

EllanVannin Fri 11-Sep-20 07:44:38

Remember the wooden boxes of whole crystalized fruits ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 07:53:17

They are nice done as a compote for breakfast with yogurt.

I usually have them in the winter. I must have a look and see if I can source them.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:00:09

Waitrose! Perfectly soft Orchard fruits. That’s what I buy and they still do them.

Fennel Fri 11-Sep-20 11:45:50

I used to make a compote too - stewed in orange juice.
Thanks for the reminder.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:07:45

Fennel

I used to make a compote too - stewed in orange juice.
Thanks for the reminder.

Yes! That’s what I do.?

ayse Fri 11-Sep-20 12:11:45

Esspee, compressed dates can be bought in Middle Eastern shops along with dried beans and spices, rice etc. I’ve found them really good value.

ayse Fri 11-Sep-20 12:13:00

I’m not really a date fan but I love date and walnut loaf.

Callistemon Fri 11-Sep-20 12:32:22

Lidl do bags of mixed dried fruits, but not the type that need reconstituting.
They do bags of nuts at a very reasonable price too.

Unfortunately they don't do deliveries of online groceries and I'm running out..

Daisymae Fri 11-Sep-20 14:50:20

I have bought a good selection from Amazon, including pears and apricots. There are lots of suppliers

Nonogran Fri 11-Sep-20 17:14:17

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Have just tried Morrisons for the dried fruits mixed bag I'm after but only soft ready to eat in separate bags was available. I don't go into my nearest city much but when I'm next in town I'll try Waitrose/Holland & Barrett/an independent shop I've thought of too. The more I hark back to this childhood dish of memories the more I want it. Warm with custard! Yummy.

Callistemon Fri 11-Sep-20 17:19:04

In a steamed sponge pudding?

Even better!

BBbevan Fri 11-Sep-20 18:38:11

AsCherrytree says Holland and Barrett does all sorts of dried fruit. Lovely

Nonogran Sun 20-Sep-20 22:03:46

Hello again, Thanks to all who've contributed to my mission. I'm grateful for your responses.
I managed to buy a bag (450gms) of Fruit Salad from Holland&Barratt. The fruits are soft & kind of ready to eat but I gently simmered some in orange juice, but not for long. Served them with Dble Cream and they were delicious. The only slightly incongruous thing, for me, was the mixed bag also contained dates but hey ho, I can live with that! I'll keep looking for what I really would like; mixed dehydrated fruit slices, prunes, apple, apricots & pears etc.

NotSpaghetti Mon 21-Sep-20 02:35:27

Sums, Wilton Wholefoods, Morrison’s, Home Bargains, Waitrose... I’ve bought this mix from all over. It’s usually called “dried fruit salad” as others have said.
Glad you found them.

You can, of course buy all the things you like (separately) and combine them.