Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarrassing moments.

(11 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sun 13-Sep-20 19:00:29

On our way through Holland 5 years ago we saw a little farm shop, we stopped and bought some jams and tomatoes.
We then sat down on some lovely garden furniture , a lady came over promptly and asked if she could help, we ordered coffee and cake, it came with a big smile.
When we asked for the bill the lady said, we are not a cafe this is our garden, the farm shop is our neighbours.
We were mightily embarrassed but so relieved our host had such a sense of humour.
Please share your stories.

MellowYellow Sun 13-Sep-20 20:17:15

Not my story, but my friends were on holiday in Greece and sat at a table in a garden thinking it was a cafe. They were very politely served drinks and cakes and only gradually realised they were in someone's front garden. The owner was so gracious!

notnecessarilywiser Sun 13-Sep-20 20:40:37

A neighbour rang my doorbell and said she had a Hermes delivery for me. I'd been in all morning, and was mystified as to why the delivery hadn't been made to me. I thanked the neighbour and had a general moan about Hermes drivers not being the sharpest tools in the box. Which is when she revealed her new job ... Hermes delivery! blush

JuneRose Sun 13-Sep-20 22:24:17

These are really funny. Made me chuckle. Nonethewiser grinblush hilarious!

Spangler Sun 13-Sep-20 22:47:10

Not so much embarrassing as completely ignorant. You need to know that I have always preferred music from the American Jazz Age, when African American musicians were drifting away from jazz. To give you an idea, look up one of the best exponents of that time, one Big Joe Turner. He it was who sang the original version of: "Shake, Rattle & Roll."

It was the early 1990's, the biggest thing on the music scene was a band called: "Take That!" Or so I later learned. This was at a time when the cell phone was still expensive and the internet was just getting started.

The practice at the time to contact the office was to carry a pager, when it went off you knew that the office wanted to get in touch. Go to a pay phone and call in reversing the charges.

I had been trying to get hold of my salesman all morning, so frustrating when they don't answer the pager. The phone was ringing off the hook, all the staff were taking calls, so I picked up the phone and the operator said: "Gary Barlow is calling you, will you accept the charge?" Gary who?

I shouted above the noise of the office: "Have we got an agency driver out today, name of Gary Barlow?" Silly grins all round. What have I said that's so funny? At that moment I heard the salesman's voice over the operator's. "Paul, yes operator, we will accept the charge. Paul, what's with all that Gary Barlow nonsense?" Paul said, "you really don't know, do you?" "Not a clue," I told him, we conducted our business and that was that.

I didn't have Google back then but I did have a switched on secretary who was my age but she had adult children. She explained that Mr Barlow was a singer with the band Take That and that there was something of difference between him and fellow singer, Robbie Wotsits. All news to me, I couldn't even name The Beatles.

senryu Sat 19-Sep-20 19:55:22

Had to deliver a document to a VIP's house. His wife answered the door and said her husband was in the bath. I waited in the hall and the lady disappeared into the house. She returned minutes later and said 'I told you he was in the bath' and guided me towards the stairs. Once upstairs the VIP was clearly visible in his bath as the bathroom door was wide open. I had to sit on the (closed) toilet while he opened the document and ranted about it's contents. I doubt he remembers it, but when I think about it I still cringe

Witzend Sat 19-Sep-20 20:20:49

Passed the time in a cafe while waiting for dh at Heathrow. Got up to check the arrivals board, slipped on a wet floor between tables in the busy cafe, very nearly went arse over breakfast time (as my father used to say) just managed to save myself - but in the process let out a very noisy fart.

How I managed to summon enough aplomb to walk out with a modicum of dignity I will never know.

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 20:34:50

Witzend today that would be preferable to a loud cough! grin

Marmight Sat 19-Sep-20 21:34:50

Some years ago at our holiday rental in Spain we became friendly with the English caretaker. Over drinks, as you do, we realised that we came from the same area. Local ‘celebrities’ came up in conversation and I gave forth about one very well known actor from our village, who loved his drink and who had married a local girl more than half his age. I went on a bit, well quite a bit, when suddenly it became apparent that she was very familiar with him. She was his daughter from a previous relationship blush blush

Framilode Sat 19-Sep-20 21:55:48

Driving in the wilds of Africa with my husband I was desperate for a pee but nervous about straying from the road because of animals. We hadn't seen another vehicle for ages so my husband stopped the car and I started to pee at the roadside. Midstream an open top lorry drove past loaded with soldiers all laughing and waving at me.

Deedaa Sat 19-Sep-20 22:07:01

This happened to DH before he met me but he never lived it down. He used to go to Brands Hatch with his Mini which had had all sorts of tweaks. After a morning driving round the track he was having a drink in the bar and giving everyone the benefit of his opinions. He spent a long time telling one man how all the corners should be driven and after the poor chap had left some one said "You do realise that was Jim Clark don't you?"