Gransnet forums

Chat

Extinction - the facts

(84 Posts)
NfkDumpling Sun 13-Sep-20 20:44:22

Is anybody else watching David Attenborough just now? Scary stuff.

merlotgran Sun 13-Sep-20 20:48:18

Yes. It's sobering viewing.

Or though sobering might be the wrong word seeing as I've just poured another wine grin

tanith Sun 13-Sep-20 20:49:00

Horrifying but is anybody listening ?

Davidhs Sun 13-Sep-20 21:07:59

Attenborough is an excellent presenter, maybe he is right and extinction is on the horizon but all the countries around the globe are only going to pay lip service to the theory.

There is no other way because the lifestyle we all lead depends on exploiting the resources of the planet. Global population is still growing yet nobody, yes NOBODY is taking it seriously, we can reduce consumption, developing countries want our lifestyle and will increase.
There is no chance whatever of avoiding Attenboroughs’ predictions - if they are true.

NfkDumpling Sun 13-Sep-20 21:10:33

I feel it was probably preaching to the converted but we were slipping a bit. Too easy to buy food in a packet sometimes. Those fields of Brazilian soya...

NfkDumpling Sun 13-Sep-20 21:14:03

DH just told me there's a pod of killer whales off the Iberian Penisular attacking yachts. Are they fighting back - or brain damaged with PCBs.

EllanVannin Sun 13-Sep-20 21:20:47

I can't bear to watch things like this seeing the world decimated through the greed of man.

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 13:56:42

Why wouldn't they be true Davidhs?

I felt he was probably preaching to the converted as well but remember the impact he had on the use of plastics a few years ago. If anyone can make people in the UK listen, its David Attenborough!

The human race can do anything we decide to do, but since we can't even decide to change our way of life after this pandemic, my hope is not high.

LadyBella Mon 14-Sep-20 14:01:33

I was horrified. I'm a member of several environmental organisations but feel we are swimming against the tide. I am scared stiff for the future of my grandchildren. Things like this should be compulsory viewing in schools. I try to do my bit and am actually thinking of joining Extinction Rebellion in my old age! The whole thing breaks my heart. This planet is so beautiful and all we seem to do is destroy it bit by bit.

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 14:09:34

The fact that they were able to link the environmental crisis to the pandemic might make people pay more attention. And the tale of the white rhinos was heart-breaking, they are not creatures you would normally think of as "beautiful" but it made me see them that way.

Davidhs Mon 14-Sep-20 18:40:18

Why would that be true?.

Because every developing country depends on exploiting natural resources to feed the nation, Palm Oil in SE Asia, Soya in Brazil, Copper in Zambia or Cotton in Southern Russia And many others. With Global population both growing and expecting a higher standard of living, exploitation is going to increase not fall.

White Rhinos have nothing to do with climate change, it’s poaching and population pressure that threatens them and a good many other vulnerable species.

LadyBella Mon 14-Sep-20 22:05:16

I've looked at this thread again tonight and am saddened by how few people have commented on it. Do people think none of this applies to them? Or do they bury their heads in the sand? This is all happening NOW. And until over-population is addressed there is little hope. Not sure what the answers are but we need to find them pretty soon!

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 22:10:00

We produce enough food to feed the world's population but waste nearly half of it.

That is a disgrace which needs to be addressed as we do not need to cut down any more wild land including rainforest for agriculture.

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sep-20 22:10:02

I was surprised some of it didn't appear in the news ... "9 years to save the world" for example.

Abracadabra Mon 14-Sep-20 22:26:13

I’m too scared to watch this because I feel so powerless. Maybe this is why there are so few comments? Or headlines.

9 years to save the planet? Is that what is being said?

MerylStreep Mon 14-Sep-20 22:51:35

LadyBella
I haven't stopped talking about the horrors that are predicted with friends and family since watching the programme.
I feel that the majority of posters don't care one iota about the catastrophe that's coming down the line.
You only have to read threads where consumerism is being discussed: pages and pages.
My trouble is: I read and listen to too much stuff on this subject and feel powerless.
If we in this country were serious about doing something it should be on the school curriculum.
The only consolation I have is that the the huge consortiums that are ruining the planet think it won't affect them. But sooner or later it will.

Luckygirl Mon 14-Sep-20 22:58:52

I did not watch it. A conscious decision not to make my life feel any sadder than it already does.

I also feel that there is so little we as individuals can do. I do everything I can. I do not need more guilt.

I also think Attenborough should not make his living flying round the world. I never fly - too damaging to the planet.

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 23:01:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vegansrock Tue 15-Sep-20 05:33:43

The biggest change any of us can make is to switch to a vegan diet, or at least reduce meat and dairy consumption but if that is ever discussed we are accused of having a mental disorder or being hypocrites for not being perfect in every way. People don’t want to change their habits. I mentioned on another thread it was good to buy less plastic tat for children and was accused of being a moaning minnie, stopping fun and worse.

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-Sep-20 07:20:23

I mentioned on another thread it was good to buy less plastic tat for children and was accused of being a moaning minnie, stopping fun and worse.

It’s inappropriate to quote directly from other threads, so I won’t. But in fairness to other posters, nobody actually disputed that point or said they would be buying plastic tat. The posts you mention were all in response to other comments you made.

MellowYellow Tue 15-Sep-20 07:31:54

I've wondered about joining Extinction Rebellion too LadyBella. They appear on the streets and beaches regularly where I live and they make people think. I do what I can to take great care to look after my tiny bit of the planet, including giving up having a car. I trialled it to see how it would work and I don't miss it at all now. I feel sad to see the dependence people have on cars. I have a town centre flat with a patio which attracts countless strange insects and creatures you don't expect in a town, because of what I've planted. We have to start with where we are and try to feel we're contributing, if only a tiny bit.

Speldnan Tue 15-Sep-20 10:02:09

Attenborough only commentates on these programs, pretty sure he doesn’t fly anywhere now ( see previous comment) I saw half of it and it’s definitely horrifying but just goes to confirm to me that the world is going to hell in a handcart! Maybe the human race is getting what it deserves with this pandemic. I do feel for our descendants though. But the majority of people would rather listen to mad Trump that Greta Thunberg it seems.

annifrance Tue 15-Sep-20 10:06:36

Am in agreement with you LadyBella. Scary stuff even though I haven't seen the programme.

I have for a long time mulled over a thought that although I wouldn't wish no grandchildren on my children I am beginning to think it would be better if my grandchildren didn't have families. Of course I would never voice these thoughts to.my family. And not just because of climate change and consumer greed, but just look at some of the powerful leaders/countries in the world. So scary.

I am not in agreement with vegan or vegetarian. I have always maintained that if everyone did this it would unbalance nature, and that really worries me. Humans are designed with teeth and an elementary canal that dictates we should be omnivores. What would becomes of all the animals?? I do agree that meat consumption should reduce, and factory farming. Animal welfare must be a priority. However, nature in the raw is brutal too.

Just putting on my tin helmet.

Bazza Tue 15-Sep-20 10:11:17

I watched it and found it very sad, depressing and frightening. But then I remembered Trump telling the world there is no such thing as global warming, so obviously he must be right.

Callistemon Tue 15-Sep-20 10:15:51

Maggiemaybe

^I mentioned on another thread it was good to buy less plastic tat for children and was accused of being a moaning minnie, stopping fun and worse.^

It’s inappropriate to quote directly from other threads, so I won’t. But in fairness to other posters, nobody actually disputed that point or said they would be buying plastic tat. The posts you mention were all in response to other comments you made.

vegansrock that is not what was said at all.

This is an important thread; I hope it won't be deleted as you seem to want to turn it into a thread about a thread.