Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm new here! Tell me about GN!

(205 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 09:59:43

Hello! As I said, I'm new.
I joined today. Not a Gran (or a Grandad), but then I'm not a Mum either, and I'm on Mumsnet.
So. Show me around please!

Charleygirl5 Tue 15-Sep-20 11:07:09

If you read How to register you should get a better idea of what is around rather than me repeating myself here. Enjoy.

shysal Tue 15-Sep-20 11:43:51

We are usually kinder than Mumsnetters on here, but not always. I prefer the 'if you can't say anything nice say nothing at all' approach, but not everyone would agree!
If you want to get to know a little about members suggest you add to the daily 'Good Morning' thread. Enjoy!

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 11:51:34

Thanks for your replies.
Don't worry Charleygirl5, I don't need a handhold, I was just being friendly.
I wondered if there were any in jokes or hidden gems, or if members could tell me what they like best here.

kittylester Tue 15-Sep-20 11:58:47

Welcome fanny as Charley said, The Good Morning thread is a good place to start.

Now I'm off to start a thread about my cakes!

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 12:00:34

Thank you Kitty!

Charleygirl5 Tue 15-Sep-20 12:57:03

I am a fan of soop's kitchen. I have "known" some of the contributors for many years so that makes a difference. It is another thread where everybody is pleasant and helpful to each other.

janeainsworth Tue 15-Sep-20 13:05:26

Hello Fanny.
Are you a fellow fan of the pre-Raphaelites?

Elegran Tue 15-Sep-20 13:10:49

What you get out of Gransnet depends on what you are looking for.
If you come from Mumsnet you will be used to an argument or two. You will find those soon enough - the political threads are usually good for a workout.

If you prefer a friendly chat about this and that, with no stress, go to Soop's Kitchen thread (Soop is a real person, who started out as Supergran and opened the Kitchen as a refuge for those who had had enough of verbal fisticuffs.)

In between are threads on all kinds of subjects, from relationships to sponge cakes to gender swapping. Wander about the topics and see for yourself.

kittylester Tue 15-Sep-20 13:31:22

It's my sponge cakes - all help gratefully received. Or contributions towards a new cooker.

I also have (mostly cordial) relationships - I haven't tried gender swapping yet though.

Jane10 Tue 15-Sep-20 13:39:59

I'm a bit puzzled at your interest in Gransnet. You're not a Gran or Grandad or a Mum. Tell us why you're interested in GN

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 14:40:09

Thanks everyone.
Yes, I am a huge admirer of the Pre-Raphaelites.
My first love in art. Life long devotee to all things Morris.
Jane - I presume that people here discuss things other than their grandnippers?
I think that you may be surprised that quite a few members aren't Grandparents either. I could be wrong!
Perhaps I should join Childfreesnet...

janeainsworth Tue 15-Sep-20 14:54:40

Welcome Fanny. You’re right, quite a number of those who post aren’t grandparents and of course we talk about lots of things other than grandchildren.
I went to the exhibition of William & Evelyn de Morgan’s works at the Laing Art Gallery in Newcastle a couple of weeks ago - wonderful. I think it’s going to be on in other places too so you might want to look out for it.

Galaxy Tue 15-Sep-20 15:39:07

Welcome, I am not a grandmother either, it's very different to MN but you will be fine grin

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 19:11:57

Thank you everyone.
I suppose that I was inspired by a thread on Mumsnet titled 'too old for Mumsnet'.
What I do love about this site is the lovely typeface and colour palette.
And everyone is so friendly.
It's very slow moving though.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Sep-20 19:15:59

What sort of age bracket are you in fanny ?

Riverwalk Tue 15-Sep-20 19:21:14

Jane10

I'm a bit puzzled at your interest in Gransnet. You're not a Gran or Grandad or a Mum. Tell us why you're interested in GN

Jane there are quite a few members who are neither parents or grandparents - I assume they just like being part of an older set.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 19:51:12

I'm 48! Old enough to be a grandparent. But I am proud that I have friends who are much younger than me, and much older than me.
My husband of 20 years is 75.
I really believe that you should be open minded and listen to people of all different ages, backgrounds etc.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 19:56:27

Thank you BlueBelle for asking that, I've come here because there is a lot of stuff on MN that I am not keen on, and I thought that I might like it here instead.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 20:34:07

Though to be honest, it really is slow moving.
How do you folks use the site?
I don't feel that I can 'chat' because it takes so long to get a response.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Sep-20 20:45:30

Go on the political thread that ll move you like a dose of salts

Galaxy Tue 15-Sep-20 20:47:57

I think you use the site differently to MN, you can almost have a live conversation on MN if you know what I mean, that's fairly rare here.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 20:49:43

Oh kitty ?

Lisagran Tue 15-Sep-20 20:58:55

You’re 48 and your husband is 75?!

Parsley3 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:05:20

Yeah...we move real slow.......