Gransnet forums

Chat

Marks and Spencer food return policy,question

(33 Posts)
infoman Tue 15-Sep-20 17:27:02

Bought a can of fish in error,
and tried to exchange it for some thing different.
Customer service desk said tha M and S do not take any food items back.
If this is their policy,fair enough,
but is that normal for M and S.

Riverwalk Tue 15-Sep-20 17:46:00

I would hope so!

MawB2 Tue 15-Sep-20 17:52:45

Quite right too - unless of course it is faulty

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Sep-20 17:53:39

Obviously, they do take clothing etc back.

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 17:58:33

I think it’s about the integrity of the chain - they have no way of knowing what’s happened to food once it’s been bought. It’s like pharmacists refusing to take back medicines - safety has to be everything.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Sep-20 18:35:33

They do take back foodstuffs if they are —off before use by/best buy dates.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Sep-20 18:36:11

Typo *best by sorry

Jane10 Tue 15-Sep-20 18:39:20

I've not returned food before as I only discovered a problem after opening it. However, when I've complained to customer services about eg a burst yoghurt or rotten piece of fruit discovered too late, they've always reimbursed me no questions asked.
A tin might be different. Why not just open it and use it? Fish is good for one.

Riverwalk Tue 15-Sep-20 18:51:41

The OP doesn't say there was a problem, only that he bought it in error, in which case quite rightly M&S wouldn't allow it to be returned.

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 18:53:59

Well obvs the OP is not about about there being a problem with the food other than she bought it in error. Why can’t people read before they post?

crazyH Tue 15-Sep-20 19:02:04

I know I'm being a bit dramatic, but I've heard of toxins being injected into tins of food - so M&S were right to refuse to take back the tin of fish.

Callistemon Tue 15-Sep-20 19:25:02

Not just M&S!
Unless there is something wrong with the food item.

You could put it in the food bank.

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 20:05:37

You’re not being melodramatic at all - Safety is often about worst case scenarios

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Sep-20 20:44:36

No food can be returned. Sainsburydelivered along with my shop a few bags of someone else’s. As we were isolating it was left in the porch and so I did not realise the error until after the delivery man had driven off.

I phoned sainsbury and was advised that no food can be accepted as returned, so please keep the shopping!!

That was a good week as there was stuff in the bags like chocolate and crisps and fresh lemonade - stuff I never buy. But yum yum it went down a treat.

Callistemon Tue 15-Sep-20 23:16:13

We got some free coffee that was someone else's.
It only happened once though.

annep1 Tue 15-Sep-20 23:26:58

WWmark2 what a lucky mistake.?

Jane10 Wed 16-Sep-20 07:14:36

Riverwalk and suziewoozie well thanks for snippy responses. I did read the OP. I also read about clothes being returned so commented on my experiences to show that the company was helpful. I also pointed out that a tin would be a different matter from perishable goods.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Sep-20 07:19:51

And we all knew that Jane10

Jane10 Wed 16-Sep-20 08:37:54

Apparently not suziewoozie

Ellianne Wed 16-Sep-20 08:40:50

Callistemon

Not just M&S!
Unless there is something wrong with the food item.

You could put it in the food bank.

Or find a cat to feed it to!

MawB2 Wed 16-Sep-20 08:51:19

It’s a bit like prescriptions - once we got about a year’s supply of paracetamol (if you use a box a week) along with Paw’s regular meds, apparently on his list but never “claimed”. When I offered to take them back to Boots I was told that they would be destroyed so “nudge nudge wink wink say no more guv.”
I might still have a box in the bathroom cupboard (over 3 years later)
More seriously the DDs took a big plastic box of his meds back to the surgery, some of them extremely expensive immunosuppressants etc after he died and again, even though sealed and unopened they would have been destroyed.

Callistemon Wed 16-Sep-20 11:15:05

Or find a cat to feed it to!

Or a seagull - like another poster did.
That was a most enjoyable thread.

Georgesgran Wed 16-Sep-20 13:23:42

Bit different but still M&S - when DD2 worked there years ago on food checkout - they had to pull back the cardboard sleeve on those mini roast, to check the content. Some ‘people’ would put the beef roast in the chicken sleeve to try and (steal) save a couple of £s. I couldn’t believe it!

infoman Thu 17-Sep-20 02:56:25

Thanks everyone for all your replys,
if its M and S policy so be it.
Athough having said that,other large supermarkets will take items back,even without a receipt.

MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 05:11:07

When D did her Management Training at M&S after graduating, the policy was still that you could return anything and complaints were always upheld. D said she remembered after Christmas a woman returning the packaging of an expensive creamy fish dish which D could see was clearly past its “best by” of early December. The customer was furious, claiming it was curdled and had “ruined her dinner party”. D explained politely about the date and the woman got very angry, saying of course she had kept it in the freezer so it shouldn’t have gone off. She threatened a letter to Head Office too.
The packaging clearly said Unsuitable for freezing but D’s manager said to give her the refund, plus a replacement for good customer relations telling her that a letter of complaint to Head Office would cost at least £125 to process, so give her the refund and a verbal apology.
People often abused M&S’s refund policy in the past.

Infoman I am very surprised you claim other supermarkets would accept a food item.