Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Friesday

(8 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:52:58

Good Evening! Not a bad day here in “The Lucky Country”!
About 20C, overcast, no rain, humid but pleasantly warm and no wind. Haven’t caught up with yesterday’s Covid stats other than no dramatic changes.
Our PM over rode State premiers yesterday by threatening to raise their cap/limit on returning Aussies allowed back from o/seas, mainly UK. I think they said 24,000 have been trapped. Qantas boss wants the job of course.

Jaxjacky were your trips to USA back in the days of Concord?
As an advocate supporter of automatics I reckon it was probably you who was sluggish! hmm
Just think! A different car, sitting on the left so your feet had to be re-programmed and driving on the right! Your brain would have had a lot of data streaming in.
I drove once in Pound Ridge, Vermont when we visited Vera’s aunt and used her car to visit the shopping malls. Turning left was nerve-stretching! shock

No! I’m not into flu jabs ever since my first and only one over 60 years ago which made me really crook. Doctors keep asking and I keep saying “No thanks!” even though they’re free.

Grandmabatty whilst on medical matters, I saw your message on the Good Morning thread, about not losing weight due to thyroid medications. Interesting because Vera had to have a thyroidectomy when she was 19 to remove most of her thyroid which resulted in having to control frequent fluctuations in activity in what was left. But thenceforth she had a constant battle to put on weight no matter what she ate. She was the envy of her floral art colleagues, most of whom had the opposite problem!
Being 95% teetotal might explain it!

Btw. talking food! Your warning about the pie filling came too late because I’d already bitten into one, broke two front teeth and now can’t even whistle “All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth..... ” I now dribble and have to wear a bib, but I suppose you’re used to dealing with that with Grandson!? sad

Megs That’s a pity about losing your October break. Being a nosey parker, Google shows some nice looking Warner hotels around the place advertising their Corana virus- free guarantee, but that’s not much comfort if you can’t get there. Driving there is out of the question I guess! ? Warners is very prevalent here, particularly in NSW, but is probably a completely different chain.!
Now why would your daughter wish for a manual when she’s already able to drive an auto?
Getting quite chilly now so must nudge up the C/H a notch or two!
Good Health
OoRoo

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sep-20 15:11:41

Evening Rufus2 well that'll teach you to be more careful biting into a pie with a file in it! ☺ Our covid numbers are rising again and there are dire hints of more serious action ahead. I've bought plenty toilet rolls and kitchen rolls, pasta and chopped tomatoes just in case, as they ran out quickly last lock down. I've had issues with my thyroid for over 20 years. It briefly went over active and I lost lots of weight, but that had other issues. Then it became underactive and it's been like that ever since. I've struggled with a low metabolism because of it. It's not much fun but it could be a lot worse I suppose. Dgs dislikes wearing a nib and complains bitterly so I strip him off and then wash him afterwards. He doesn'tuch like that either! ☺ The weather has taken a turn for the better and we have had two glorious days. It has to be nice at the weekend too which is good as it's my birthday tomorrow so I'll take sunshine as my gift. Have a good weekend.

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sep-20 15:12:23

Apologies for typos

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sep-20 15:26:47

Evening Rufus it was in the days of Concorde, unfortunately IBM didn’t run to that...I did get business class a few times, including to Australia. My Mum and Dad did fly in her to New York, back on one of the Queens, they were into cruises.
My experience of auto cars was mid to late 80’s hire cars, so perhaps not the best, my memory is of lumbering beasts. The first time, on my own I was transported to a Hertz lot in Miami, found the ignition, seat belt automatically tried to garrot me! Then it was hunt the gear stick ( on the column) then the lights...subsequent 50 mile journey was an adventure, but I did it. I was lucky, travelled all over the world with them. Enjoy what’s left of your day.

Rufus2 Fri 18-Sep-20 15:35:36

Dgs dislikes wearing a nib and complains bitterly so I strip him off and then wash him afterwards. He doesn'tuch like that either!

No offence, but I don't think I would either, unless it was my nurse Jacqui doing the honours; haven't seen her for 6 months. sad
Btw; the pie looked so delicious I couldn't wait to have it X-rayed first,.but I'll be more careful next time as you suggest! grin (not quite toothless! )
Happy Birthday tomorrow (today?) wine

rafichagran Fri 18-Sep-20 15:47:13

Evening Rufus
Glad you are in good spirits. I was offered the flu jab when I had a underlying heath condition. I refused it too. I no longer have the health condition and I dont get reminded either.
Keep well.

Rufus2 Fri 18-Sep-20 15:47:41

My Mum and Dad did fly in her to New York, back on one of the Queens, they were into cruises
Friends of ours in England did that trip years ago; thoroughly enjoyed it, although she didn't think much of all the pokie machines all over the place on the ship,
but said the Concord was a "Blast"! Pity it couldn't compete with the Jumbo. sad
OoRoo

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sep-20 19:22:33

Thank you Rufus2 I intend to have a good day