Gransnet forums

Chat

Had a bad fall in the (walk-in) shower ?

(117 Posts)
flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:12:15

Hi all,
I went for a shower around 12:45 and slipped on a wet wipe when conditioning my hair, falling and hurting my knee. I lay there for around 5 minutes then tried to get up but I couldn't manage it then ended up hurting my arm as I fell back down.

I knocked the shampoo and conditioner bottles from the alcove at the side of the shower in the process too, and the conditioner went up the wet wall and on the floor of the shower, which I didn't realise at the time.

I then lay there for a further 5 minutes trying to see if mum would come in to the house to help me up (she was out cutting the grass) but she didn't, so I decided to try to stand up (I was at the other end of the shower from the shower head, and in a corner of the shower with the alcove above my head), got half-up and then my hands slipped on the conditioner on the wall, landed on my knees which slipped on the conditioner on the shower floor, hit off the wall and ricocheted onto the shower door, so hard it opened outwards, even though it is supposed to open inwards and the clip was on.
My father heard me hitting off the door from upstairs and came in to the toilet to see if I was okay (the shower curtain was shut), realised I couldn't get up and that the floor was swimming with water due to the doors opening, and went to get mum from the garden to help me up.
It took ten minutes to get me up, and mum wanted to phone an ambulance but I forbade her as I was naked. Once she got me up, I could hardly stand, so she had to help me finish my shower then help me upstairs so I could put my clothes on.

All in all, I was on the floor of the shower for 25 minutes. My whole body hurts, especially my arm as I hurt it when I fell the second time and it bounced off the wall then I landed on it when I slipped on the conditioner.

I am very sore, but I am going to do my hair, put on my makeup and go into the garden. X

flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:21:09

Changed my mind about the garden... I'm having a takeaway as I feel like having some nice food after such a bad fall. X

Nonogran Fri 18-Sep-20 17:24:31

Oh no, this sounds awful for you. If you're certain nothing is broken I'd suggest rest, painkillers & lots of tlc from your family. I admire your bravery but it might take a few days for the bruising to show & shock can leave you feeling a bit fragile in the aftermath. Hope you'll feel ok again soon.

Nonogran Fri 18-Sep-20 17:25:09

Takeaway! Sounds like a good plan!

flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:37:45

Nonogran

Oh no, this sounds awful for you. If you're certain nothing is broken I'd suggest rest, painkillers & lots of tlc from your family. I admire your bravery but it might take a few days for the bruising to show & shock can leave you feeling a bit fragile in the aftermath. Hope you'll feel ok again soon.

Awwwwww thanks for your lovely message, you've cheered me up. I am going to visit a very very very dear relative tomorrow so she'll make me feel better, like she always does. X

flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:38:01

Nonogran

Takeaway! Sounds like a good plan!

Why don't you have one too? X

Vickysponge Fri 18-Sep-20 17:42:47

Oh no you poor thing! Yes, as a previous poster has said just rest. I had a bad fall a few days ago and the bruises took a few days to come out - felt sore for ages so do be careful. Hope you feel better soon.

flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:52:06

Vickysponge

Oh no you poor thing! Yes, as a previous poster has said just rest. I had a bad fall a few days ago and the bruises took a few days to come out - felt sore for ages so do be careful. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for your lovely message. Awwww I'm sorry you fell too. What happened? I'm glad you feel better. X

Calendargirl Fri 18-Sep-20 17:53:31

Another accident FH. Oh dear! ?

I would give tomorrow’s visit a miss, and rest up.

flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:57:53

Calendargirl

Another accident FH. Oh dear! ?

I would give tomorrow’s visit a miss, and rest up.

Thanks for your lovely message. I would rather go ahead with the visit as I have been looking forward to it, and I can rest while there, as we'll just be watching the television, chatting and drinking tea. X

Vickysponge Fri 18-Sep-20 17:59:41

FH I slipped on some mud and smashed my head on a rock! Horrible!

phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 17:59:58

Why does your walk in shower have a curtain? Most have sliding doors?

25 minutes must have been an extraordinarily long time to be stranded.

You forbade your mother from getting an ambulance because you were naked, I'm sure you could have got a robe round you while waiting.

Although, tbh, I doubt if an ambulance would have come out for that sort of incident.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Sep-20 18:04:32

You re back on form Flyinghandbags got to be the most spectacular fall so far
I think you need a word with your Mum she’s always in the garden when you go flying
I guess you must be ok as you could have put a housecoat on to go to hospital
How will you manage to travel to your friends house ?

BlueSky Fri 18-Sep-20 18:07:53

Flying do you know what causes your frequent falls? Do you get dizzy spells? Because that's what happens to my cousin and she often has falls even at home without tripping or anything. Of course she's in her 70's so probably nearer to your mum's age. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? To an outsider like myself it does seem too often to be coincidental. brew

phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 18:16:09

Why do you need make up on to go in the garden? Sunscreen should be enough.

seacliff Fri 18-Sep-20 18:19:21

My son is a paramedic. They've seen it all. Unofficially they would class this sort of call as a "Gransdown."

MawB2 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:20:07

It takes a lot to put a girl off doing her make up - even after a fall in the shower! However, I am sure a strategically placed bath towel would have preserved your modesty.
For future reference, how about grab rails in the shower?
Oh and never ever use wipes - wrong on so many levels, especially the shower cubicle for.

MawB2 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:20:38

Floor not “for”

Luckygirl Fri 18-Sep-20 18:24:07

Here is what to do:
- get a good shower mat and never never go into the shower unless it is firmly n place.
- get a grabrail fixed to the shower wall.
- get a soap-on-a-rope, or (as I did, crochet a soap bag - wide open weave with very long string hung round the shower pole. Then lather the soap through the bag, so it cannot fall on the floor and make it slippery.

Honestly, as I know only too well, a fall and a breakage can transform your life permanently for the worse. Not really worth the risk. Be a good Guide and Be Prepared!

MerylStreep Fri 18-Sep-20 18:25:21

phoenix
Try and keep up. There was a door. FlyingHandbag ricocheted onto the shower door
That's some huge shower to be able to ricocheted across the floor.
I'm impressed by the recall of every minuscule detail while in so much pain.

Vickysponge Fri 18-Sep-20 18:28:55

phoenix

Why does your walk in shower have a curtain? Most have sliding doors?

25 minutes must have been an extraordinarily long time to be stranded.

You forbade your mother from getting an ambulance because you were naked, I'm sure you could have got a robe round you while waiting.

Although, tbh, I doubt if an ambulance would have come out for that sort of incident.

What is it about FH Phoenix? Why on earth do you have to be so unkind? It really is becoming a habit with you and the OP. Just plain nasty. And who are you to tell OP not to wear make up in the garden? You really are unpleasant.

Oopsadaisy4 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:30:45

A shower door, but also a shower curtain to protect her modesty from her father.

Forward planning I guess, memo to self- in new bathroom We need a shower door and a Shower curtain.

MawB2 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:32:18

But it is a walk in shower - which I understand as something different to a shower cubicle
There was a shower curtain - not sure why
The shower door opened outwards even although it is meant to open inwards.
Wasn’t it the conditioner which ricocheted off the wall and hit the shower door so hard etc etc
Trying hard to keep up. ?

MerylStreep Fri 18-Sep-20 18:37:13

MawB
That's some hefty bottle of conditioner to reverse the opening of a door.
Obviously one of those gallon size ones the hairdressers use.

MawB2 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:39:16

You wouldn’t to want to argue with one of those!