Gransnet forums

Chat

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL! (Tongue in cheek)

(22 Posts)
phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 19:55:16

Again!

We don't have Donald Trump as our "leader"

Unlike cats and dogs, we don't have to lick our bottoms to clean them blush

The fact that we have "weather" rather than a climate, means there is always something to chat to random people about.

Some form of education is available to all, regardless of age.

Apart from N.I. contributions, healthcare is free at the point of delivery (yes, ok, prescriptions and dental treatment may still have to be paid for)

Anything else?

threexnanny Wed 23-Sep-20 19:57:23

Beautiful countryside, endless miles of stunning coastline.

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 19:57:59

We have the freedom to criticise our political leaders, parody them and call them dimwits if we choose to. Many other countries have no such freedom.

Illte Wed 23-Sep-20 20:02:36

My kitchen is finished. They ripped it all out, we went into lockdown, then shortage of appliances.

For the first time since March I have an oven, a hob and a fridge freezer ???

Marydoll Wed 23-Sep-20 20:25:24

I have just made 4llbs of bramble jelly, ? from the last of the brambles. Cost me nothing apart from the sugar and a few scratches!
The bonus was, the sun was shining, DH and I bonded ?and I got some exercise into the bargain.

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 20:38:13

I have stocked the freezer with cooked apples and cakes I have baked.....unfortunately it leaves little room for anything else ( a mixed blessing.)
I can hear torrential rain on the windowpane which means I won’t have to water the garden yet again.
We have food shopping delivered in the morning....croissants
For breakfast.?
I have downloaded a boxed set of a series I want to watch.

Bellanonna Wed 23-Sep-20 20:51:24

Decent television, unlike in some other countries

Jane10 Wed 23-Sep-20 20:54:04

My tooth is out and it wasn't as traumatic as I feared.
There's good stuff on the TV, lots of good books on my Kindle and plenty of time available to enjoy them.

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 20:57:26

...and the biggest reason of all to be cheerful, we aren’t going anywhere so can wear elasticated waistbands until next year.
Another slice of cake anyone??

Bellanonna Wed 23-Sep-20 20:58:58

Quite a lot to be said for that lemongrove.

Stephenmarra Wed 23-Sep-20 21:08:53

I'll let Ian Dury give a few.

Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Reasons To Be Cheerful Part III

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiZEOHpogA

phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 21:12:04

All hail the elasticated waistband!

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 23-Sep-20 21:15:33

After yet another 15 hour power cut our electric is back.

Yaaay

Better Post this quick in case it goes off again .

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 21:19:38

Since lockdown, I've worked from home and have therefore not had to bother with:

Make up
High heeled shoes that cripple me by the time I get home
Tailored business suits that feel like they're cutting me in half
A bra
Trying to grab that last parking space in the office car park that no one else wants because it's a bugger to get in and out of.
Sitting in rush hour traffic
Sitting in an office with the smell of colleague's fish/curries or last night's stew being reheated in the microwave for their lunch
Having to hobble down 4 flights of stairs, and back up again, for the weekly fire drill.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sep-20 21:22:25

It’s rained on my veggies, it’s two years since I stopped smoking, and...
I’m on a promise as husband playing golf competition Saturday afternoon ?? ( he bought me flowers today as well!)

annsixty Wed 23-Sep-20 21:26:51

I had a phone call today to say my operation for a hip replacement is scheduled for two weeks time.
I had given up hope of ever getting it done.

Marydoll Wed 23-Sep-20 21:29:07

ann, I was so glad to read your news!

annsixty Wed 23-Sep-20 21:32:34

Thank you Mary

LadyBella Wed 23-Sep-20 21:34:54

Chewbacca you've really made me laugh!

Jane10 Wed 23-Sep-20 21:44:03

Chewbacca- that sounds awful. The lockdown must seem such a treat after that. (I especially identified with the tricky parking space problem)
Good news re your op annsixty. I'm so glad you won't have to wait much longer. Nevertheless I expect its a bit of a thought. Just think, this time next month it'll be over and you'll be back home recuperating.

SueDonim Wed 23-Sep-20 22:00:16

There are lots more modern non-wired bras to choose from, instead of just old lady styles and also loads of ‘lounge wear’. I’ve got a lovely fleece indoor jacket awaiting the proper cold weather.

Lucca Wed 23-Sep-20 22:23:05

I’m going to see my family on Friday
I’ve had my flu jab (but it’s sore now)