Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(63 Posts)
12Michael Fri 25-Sep-20 06:13:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark again with the days drawing in , looks dry outside here in Brackley .
Nice easy day today , go early to supermarket , plus starting wear more suitable clothing with the season change , I will watch the world champs men's time trial from Imola , on the BBC red button as its uninterrupted coverage.
Take Care ,
Mick

Beechnut Fri 25-Sep-20 06:23:11

Good Morning everyone. It’s very dark on Severnside. I think it’s looks dry.

An early shop for me too. I’ll finish my fake blind today. I made it out of flimsy material and it wafts in the breeze so I need to put a rod into the bottom of it.

I need to sort the house out with a few things I want to rearrange and a couple of unfinished craft objects. Starting to think about some stuff to do throughout the cooler months.

How is your dog now Scentia since you decided not to take to work?

Have a good day all and keep safe and warm ?

grandMattie Fri 25-Sep-20 06:23:48

Morning from a still dark, chilly E Kent.
Enjoy the time trials.*Mick*.
Had a really lovely day with my two boys. DS2 took me to buy some bulbs for my pots. They nearly undercharged me by 2/3, were a bit surprised when I objected vehemently! I hadn’t been to the garden centre since lockdown and had to brave very strict one way system and a squall. Unfortunately I wasn’t wearing suitable clothing as it was sunny when we left, so got very cold.
We are having really stormy weather today, the equinoctial storms appear to be upon us a bit early this year,
I hope the day is kind to those who are sad, poorly or absent. Have a good day every. Stay safe.

grandMattie Fri 25-Sep-20 06:24:42

What’s a “fake blind”, Beech?

Marydoll Fri 25-Sep-20 06:40:43

Good morning Mick and the early risers from a pretty chilly Glasgow, it's only 2 degrees here. Brrrr??

Spent yesterday pottering about in the garden, but not a great deal to show for it. I'm finding it harder and harder to bend down and if I manage that, I can't get up again. ?
Influenced by another thread, I have ordered some patio fruit trees and need to get one of my deceased patio trees out of the tub in preparation for the new one.
I've also got some tulip bulbs to plant, the shades are gorgeous.

DH is golfing, I have a Tesco delivery and I need to make savoury scones for the beef cobbler. so that's the morning taken care of. I read last night that our area is heading towards becoming a Covid hotspot, so I won't be venturing far.

I suddenly realised last night in bed that we haven't heard from Bellasnanna for some time. I know she was supporting her terminally ill friend. I hope she is ok.
The same goes for all our absent friends.

Take care everyone and enjoy your day.

Jaxjacky Fri 25-Sep-20 06:49:05

Good morning Mick and all, it’s still quite dark, but dry here and cold, heating has come on.
Bed stripping today, how exciting! Combined with electric blanket finding, I hope it’s where I think it was stored...
This afternoon I’m going to daughters, ten minutes away, to await delivery of her new settee, must remember to take my book. My friend, who works for a butcher bought my turkey crown round last night, yesterday I defrosted the small freezer, so need to get that up and running again this morning, by tonight I’ll have the turkey in.
I know some of you are living with troubles, physical, mental, poorly animals. I hope your day brings a little relief and perhaps a small step forwards.

Sark Fri 25-Sep-20 06:50:52

Good Morning everyone from a chilly Oxfordshire.
Marydoll beef cobbler sounds delicious...no idea what's for dinner tonight so any chance of leaving some in my fridge for when we get home from work later!?
Have a good day everyone and flowers for anyone struggling

Scentia Fri 25-Sep-20 06:54:03

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. Brrr... it is cold this morning.
Off to the opticians at 8.00 to have an eye test I suppose that will mean new glasses. I was told that once I am older my eyes will stop deteriorating but at the moment I need new glasses every two years, suppose that means I am not yet old?
Had E Mail from Sarah Raven to say my bulbs are being despatched today??
Thanks to everyone who gave me good wishes about my job yesterday.
Three more sleeps until DD and DGS and I set off to Butlin’s for the week. I am so looking forward to it even though it will be very different.
I really hope gilly gets even just a short visit from her Friday girl today. I do hope she is reading so she knows how we are all thinking of her.
Take care everyone and stay safe.

Esspee Fri 25-Sep-20 06:57:24

Good morning all. Looks like yet another stunning day here and tomorrow is expected to be the same. Hard to believe last weekend I was on a white sand beach in my bikini while this week the temperature is 10Deg. lower. Still, as long as the sun keeps shining and producing these awesome sunrises and sunsets I can enjoy our enforced staycation.
I am going to check the Aurora forecast. Heard something on the radio so if expected tonight we will wrap up warmly and venture out.
When life seems depressing nature has a way of healing us.

Scentia Fri 25-Sep-20 06:58:04

Marydoll
Would one of these help with the gardening?

Ashcombe Fri 25-Sep-20 07:05:36

Morning all!

Not a great start to the day as had migraine dazzles with first TIB. Saw them off with paracetamol with caffeine so hope that’s the end of them. It’s the first one since March so not a regular occurrence these days.

Enjoy whatever you’re doing!

Esspee Fri 25-Sep-20 07:07:01

Ooh. Good call Scentia.
Marydoll, I got one of these in a charity shop on Dumbarton Road last year. It has been great for helping me up after a long spell kneeling. Turn it up the other way and you have a comfy stool.

Beechnut Fri 25-Sep-20 07:09:38

I suppose it’s a pelmet really grandMattie. I put some horizontal folds then stitch them in place like a Roman blind and as it doesn’t actually go up and down I call it a fake blind ?

Marydoll Fri 25-Sep-20 07:11:36

Thanks Scentia, I had actually been thinking of something like that, I may look today along with looking for a new kitchen bin.
A big boy broke ours yesterday and ran away!!! ?
I was disinfecting it and asked DH to take it outside and leave it to soak. The rest is history, or should I say the bin was history!?

I had made a complaint to my bank about their fraud system blocking my debit card twice, in the last two months, when I tried to pay my credit card bill. I totally support their fraud prevention system, but despite following all the protocols, including using the umpteen codes sent to my phone, it was still blocked.
They put £55 into my bank yesterday as compensation. So I shall treat myself to a kneeler!

Sark, I would leave you some dinner, but unfortunately we are in lockdown here.?

Greyduster Fri 25-Sep-20 07:12:36

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Clearing slowly in South Yorkshire; may be a decent day. Awake at quarter to five and felt very fidgety for some reason so I got up. I’ll probably be on my knees by lunchtime! I am making a curry today for the weekend as DD and her menfolk are coming round. Then, as I have finally started on the rug I’m making, I will press on with that. I seem to have spent so much time cutting the material for it, it’s gone off the boil. DH has requested macaroni cheese for supper, which has never been my favourite so I will have fishcakes. Whatever you are doing today, have a good safe day.

Greyduster Fri 25-Sep-20 07:13:31

Scentia I have one of those. It’s a godsend!

Marydoll Fri 25-Sep-20 07:14:30

Espee, thanks, I love those charity shops in Dumbarton Rd. Before lockdown, my friend the show home sofa woman and ebay queen, and used to have days out to there and Byres Rd.

Beauregard Fri 25-Sep-20 07:15:27

Good morning from a dry and bright Derbyshire. A cool and windy day in store.

Yesterday turned into such a busy day, I didn't get to read the thread until the afternoon. It was very quiet at the garden centre and I enjoyed a good browse. They were just starting setting up for Christmas shock

Today I'm going to potter in the garden this morning - I bought some bulbs at the garden centre, so might plant those, then watch the horse racing this afternoon. We're trying a new recipe for a chicken tikka later.

Thanks for all the good wishes for my brother yesterday. He still hadn't had his scan when I spoke to my niece late afternoon, so there's not much change with him yet. Hopefully I will hear more later.

Hope everyone is feeling well today and has a good day.

kittylester Fri 25-Sep-20 07:23:28

Morning all from a chilly, cloudy North Leicestershire.

I am hoping for a quieter day today with just a few phone calls and maybe a visit from DS2.

brook2704 Fri 25-Sep-20 07:31:07

Good morning everyone from Inverness, it’s still darkish but I think it’s forecast to be cool and dry most of today.
Yesterday I spent a lovely afternoon chatting with my friend in the local garden centre cafe. The time just flew by! This afternoon I’ve got a meet up planned with DD2 in town so I’m looking forward to that.
I need to start sorting out a few things at home as I’ve not done much over the summer. There’s a bit of decorating to do and the bedrooms which the GC use when they stay over need updating a bit.
I bet you’re looking forward to your holiday scentia I know I would be!
You’ve reminded me Esspee to keep my eye on the Aurora forecast - thank you!
Hope you’re feeling ok now Ashcombe and hope everyone has the best day they can. Take care out there ?

MellowYellow Fri 25-Sep-20 07:37:36

Morning from south Cornwall where it's bright and breezy. Yesterday's allotment knitters meeting was a hoot. The rain and hail were torrential as we took shelter in a half covered seating area next to our (currently unused) Saturday coffee morning cabin. We had a lovely knit/crochet and natter.

Today I'll stay quiet as am tired and have 4 year old coming tomorrow. Ashcombe I get migraine lights when I'm excited or eat too much sugar. I knock 'em on the head with soluble aspirin. Well everyone, have as good a day as possible, whatever you're going through.

Susan56 Fri 25-Sep-20 07:44:49

Good morning from Shropshire where it’s quite breezy.

I had my eye screening yesterday.When we got home I felt exhausted,lay on the bed and woke up again at 6pm then managed a full nights sleep.

Today we are looking after Henry for a few hours and then school pick up for DGD.We will drop Henry off then DGD is coming back for a sleepover.

Thank you for your kind posts re my upset with my mum.They really helped and made me realise that I do my best and that’s all I can do.I just need to keep reminding myself.

I hope things are improving for you gilly and that you will be back with us soon?

I haven’t seen Ginny posting for a while either.I hope she is ok.

Thinking of all with illness and worries and wishing everyone the best day possible.

Nannytopsy Fri 25-Sep-20 07:46:18

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
It is pouring down here in Suffolk and cold too. I am very smug that I finished building and planting the first new flowerbed yesterday. All that’s left to go in are bulbs. Not today though - I would drown up there.
An early haircut so I must get going. I hope the day is kind to everyone.

NanKate Fri 25-Sep-20 08:00:52

Good morning Mick and All.

A grey windy day in South Bucks. To think on Monday I was sunning myself in the garden with a glass of chilled wine. How the weather can change in the U.K.

Sorry to hear about your mobility Mary I am now at the stage where if I get on my hands and knees I have to find a bit of furniture to pull myself up again. ?

I am sure Bellasnana will return to us soon. It was her friend’s funeral yesterday ?

We are creatures of habit and will eat fish tonight, as I did as a child every Friday and so did DH.

Sar53 Fri 25-Sep-20 08:01:30

Good morning from a damp, grey and cold Essex by the sea. What a difference a few days make. Tuesday was about 24 degrees, today about 12.
A few bits of shopping to do this morning, things we couldn't get yesterday. I will probably start a new jigsaw later and finish off the cross Stitch that I have been doing for the past few days. I seem to have found a new hobby that I really enjoy.
Yesterday I finally got round to completing my first patchwork cushion, picture attached. I'm quite pleased with myself as, in the past, I've only ever been a knitter.
Have the best Friday you can. Kind thoughts to all gransnetters who need them. Take care and stay safe everyone xx