Gransnet forums

Chat

Sheilding - will it be unpaused?

(13 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 26-Sep-20 10:12:25

I thought that Johnson may have mentioned something about this on Tuesday, but no. Just the pubs shutting one hour early.
Do you think that the clinically extremely vulnerable will be asked to shield again?
This will also have repurcussions for people currently in the work place who cannot work from home (I'm thinking of teachers in particular).
Shielding children will have to home school too.
Any thoughts? Thank you.

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Sep-20 10:15:29

Apologies if I've put this in the wrong place!

Marydoll Sat 26-Sep-20 11:10:32

I wouldn't be surprised, the way things are going and reading between the lines of the info I'm receiving from my doctors.
I'm already preparing for it. ?
If it doesn't happen, it will be a bonus.

Nortsat Sat 26-Sep-20 11:11:48

I thought Johnson might have said something, too FC. Indeed I read an article in the Guardian on the same day, by a young disabled woman, who felt very abandoned by Govt, regarding advice and support to those who have been shielding.

I was shielding from February until the end of August. We live in east London and the number of Covid cases appear to be spiking here, too. My partner and I didn’t really stop shielding... we had one lunch out and one garden visit. Now we just don’t feel safe enough to trust the advice from the bunch of buffoons in Govt.

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Sep-20 11:27:02

See, I'm not sure.
It seems to me that they've just given up now. It's just follow your own guidelines.
Everyone has completely lost all confidence in them anyway, so half the country don't even listen.
If cev teachers shield again they will have to magic up a load of replacements from somewhere.

Teetime Sat 26-Sep-20 11:28:13

I would have thought if a person is very clinically vulnerable they should keep on shielding no matter what the government says. I have always advised such patients to restrict anyone coming to their house with colds or infections and to avoid crowded places. When my Neutrophils hit their lowest point my consultant rang me up and said 'dont go out and dont let anyone come round'. I lived in a small village in the Yorkshire Dales then.

EllanVannin Sat 26-Sep-20 11:30:56

There aren't the resources to " police " everyone, it's madness !
Didn't someone catch the virus who'd never been out ?

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Sep-20 11:32:32

Teetime, shielding teachers and pupils have been told that they must return to school.
If you are the parent of a shielding child and want to keep them at home you must deregister them.

MrsRochester Sat 26-Sep-20 11:33:21

Shielders we know have never stopped.

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Sep-20 11:34:14

Sorry Ellan, I'm not sure what you mean?

MrsRochester Sat 26-Sep-20 11:36:11

FannyCornforth That’s dreadful: our sixth Form College is supporting vulnerable students to study at home. Friends work in a state school in Greater Manchester and it is doing the same, they have 26 shielders studying online.
I don’t think deregistering is national policy?

Luckygirl Sat 26-Sep-20 11:36:34

We have not deregistered children for being at home at this time. I am school governor. They are getting work sent to them.

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Sep-20 11:39:15

Oh, thank you, that's good to hear that some schools are being accommodating (ie not criminally negligent!)