Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(70 Posts)
12Michael Mon 28-Sep-20 06:09:51

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but a clear sky above this morning in Brackley .
Today a quiet day after watching yesterdays world champs unfold on TV .
Do some laundry , and later today get the flu jab, as my surgery are visiting the residential home.
Take Care ,
Mick

grandMattie Mon 28-Sep-20 06:18:40

Good morning from a dark E Kent. We are promised thick cloud and moderate breeze today. What I call “grumpy” weather - not one thing or another.
Nothing much today, nothing much yesterday.
Had a funny thing when I asked DS2 if he’d posted the parcel for GD2’s birthday on Friday. He told me that although he worked in a paper recycling/making factory, he was totally unable to find an offcut/end bit to wrap said parcel!
Got to get card in which her mum can put the circus tickets her mother has bought from us. She’ll be 8 and coping well with her short leg. I hope that by the time she goes to secondary school, she’ll have had her leg lengthened. The operation was naturally cancelled this August.
Have a pleasant day everyone - those absent, anxious, unwell, particularly. Stay safe. in pain

Beechnut Mon 28-Sep-20 06:19:50

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. I’ve just been woken by a racket from the radio alarm. I forgot to cancel it yesterday morning and it’s obviously not set on the station properly.
Anyway, it looks dry with the clouds in stripes.
My trip out yesterday was enjoyable and ended up in Wells. I had my picnic there and bought a few craft items.

Today I’m going to take it easy and this afternoon I said I would visit my friend. I might get some photos printed on my way to hers.

Take care all and be safe

Ashcombe Mon 28-Sep-20 06:29:01

Good morning, all!

Still in la Sarthe and disappointed by the early arrival of Winter. Our temperatures dropped from the thirties a week ago to 12 degrees yesterday! Autumn has been bypassed.

Hope everyone is well and has a good week, whatever is planned.

Stay safe!

Sar53 Mon 28-Sep-20 06:41:12

Good morning from a still dark Essex by the sea. Cold again though, yesterday was a bit of a shock to the system. Five days ago it was 24°, yesterday about 13°.
We have been invited to lunch with DH's eldest daughter and 3 year old twins today. Should be fun.
Some housework and washing before we go.
I sent WhatsApp messages to my 2 eldest granddaughters yesterday, 11 and 12. I had the most lovely replies from both of them which brought tears to my eyes. I've only seen them once since February and I miss them all very much.
Have the best Monday you can and stay safe everyone xx

MellowYellow Mon 28-Sep-20 06:49:01

Good morning from a darkish south Cornwall, feels warmer than yesterday. Fun meal at my son's last night, first time I've been out evening-wise for ages so I wore a nice outfit I'd forgotten I had. Today I must sort my craft room. Or not. Choices, choices. Otherwise a restful day, methinks, following a very broken night where I dreamt I'd hidden a body. Too much Guinness at my son's, obviously. grin The best of days to you all, where possible.

Scentia Mon 28-Sep-20 06:56:07

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. Chilly start to the day.
I am off to Butlins today with DD and DGS. We are so looking forward to it. Hope it won’t be too restrictive.
Have the best day possible today everyone❤️

Marydoll Mon 28-Sep-20 07:00:44

Good morning all from a dark Glasgow. It's a wee bit warmer than yesterday's -2° at 7°C.
DH is golfing, but I'm not sure what to be up to today. He is worried about me going out, due to the rise in Covid cases.

Well, yesterday was a bit of an unexpectedly interesting day!
DH was cutting the back grass, when he came into say he had found something in the grass. It looked like a tarnished old penny, but on closer inspection it turned out to be a Roman coin!
Where on earth did it come from. Now DH does have a penchant for collecting bits and pieces of Roman fake artifacts, so I suggested it could be his. He insisted he had nothing like that in his collection of crap.?
We spent most of the day guessing how it got there, when suddenly it dawned on me!?
I had been looking for a large plastic box to put DH's dismantled PC in and found one in the garage. It had my name on it, so was obviously a souvenir from my teaching days. I had taken it into the garden and given it a good clean.
I realised that this had been my Romans teaching box, full of long discarded materials. The coin must have been stuck in a corner. Cue one disappointed husband, who thought the Romans must have been in ourg garden two thousand years ago!?

Some of you may be reading the School motto thread.
Last night I received a PM from a poster I had never heard of. At first I thought it may be another scam one from Will, Simon or his pals, wanting to know me better!?
It turned out the lady went to the same convent school as me. I left in 1973, she in 1959. She said I was just a wean, which I found very amusing!?
About five minutes later, there was a PM from another user, saying that she too had been at the same school.
The username and number made me very certain, that I might know the person.
When I was in sixth year in school, there was a group of four of us, who were friends. That user was one of them and I hadn't seen nor heard from her in over forty years!!
What a lovely surprise to hear from her after all that time!?

Wishing everyone a pleasant day and thinking especially of our Gilly.

Sark Mon 28-Sep-20 07:03:56

Good Morning everyone.
Pale blue and pink sky in Oxfordshire...looks pretty but not sure what the forecast is.
Lovely phone call with MIL for over an hour yesterday.
She is 85 and on her own and understandably gets fed up at times so was good to chat.

Work soon ...Monday mornings come round very quickly.
Thinking of all with worries or sadness and wishing everyone a good day.

NanKate Mon 28-Sep-20 07:04:13

Morning Mick and All.

Apricot and blue/grey slate coloured sky here in South Bucks.

We enjoyed Wells too Beechnut on our recent short holiday. The market square with all its outside cafes has a definite continental air.

Meeting up with 5 designated friends from the WI today for tea and cake. They are a lovely crowd and they make life seem normal again.

Hugs to those who need it.

kittylester Mon 28-Sep-20 07:18:45

Good morning all from a very chilly North Leicestershire.

Today is my lovely Aunt's 90th birthday, so I must ring her this morning, DS2 is 47 and DGD4 is 7, so we must ring her after school. We have flu jabs this afternoon and will pop and see DS2 on the way home. And, we have a Sky engineer visit this am.

Hope you had a good birthday, kate!

TOYA

Bellasnana Mon 28-Sep-20 07:19:51

Good morning Mick and all, from Malta where it is a pleasant 20°C at the moment, going up to 26° later.

Marydoll I laughed at your Roman coin story! Hope your DH wasn’t too disappointed. Also, how lovely to be contacted by old school pals. It’s a small world.

No plans today for me, in fact I feel pretty useless now I don’t have my friend to look after. Still got my faithful hound though so he keeps me company.

Did you have a lovely birthday NanKate? I was thinking of you and wishing I had one of those veggie panini!

Right, time to force my lazy behind out of bed and do my 30 mins exercise routine.

Hope everyone has a good day.☀️

NannyJan53 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:20:57

Good Morning from a bright sky in the Black Country, a definite chill in the air though.

Had an lovely canalside walk with a friend who lives nearby. We have known each other since we were 18. Partner was off on a cycle ride, so I rang to see if she was free. We ended the walk with a coffee and snack at a lovely pub by the canal. All orders now have to be on the App, so that took us about 30 mins to download that and sort out how to make an account and order, had to ask for help in the end smile

We were in Wells a couple of Saturdays ago Beechnut and had our picnic in the grounds of Bishops Palace.

I am simmering the chicken carcass now, ready to make soup this morning. Autumn is definitely here, Mum made her Mincemeat yesterday, so we know it is almost Winter!!

I am expecting a phone call from my Dentist today, so staying close to the phone.

Our area is apparently on a 'watch' list, and it could be we will soon not be able to visit other households or gardens soon! Wolverhampton already has that restriction, but you can meet others in a cafe or pub!

How lovely that GN has enabled you to re-connect with a friend after 40 years Marydoll

Wishing you all a good day, with special thoughts to Gilly

Wishing you all a

Urmstongran Mon 28-Sep-20 07:23:48

It’s just sunrise here in Malaga at 8:11am. We have a pale pink sky above a pale blue Mediterranean sea. It looks very pretty. I’ve just checked the BBC weather forecast and we have a row of big fat sunshines all this week and 29°C with a gentle breeze. Perfick.
?

I slept for 9 hours and feel born again. I’ve just been in the website for ‘Betty’s of Harrogate’ and ordered a gift box of goodies to be delivered to my step-father on Thursday. He will be 88y and although we ring each other about 3 times a week he is missing us (although he goes to his club twice a week and enjoys a couple of pints and a wee dram with his friends). I know he’ll be surprised to sign for a surprise parcel on the day!
?

No plans today so I might wash my hair and give myself a pedicure. I usually go to a salon but I’ve ‘done’ myself since March. I have a lovely coral nail polish for my toes. I have decent feet (no bunions and good healthy nails) but always think a pop of colour looks nice in sandals.

Hope Monday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

NanKate Mon 28-Sep-20 07:27:33

Thanks Kitty and Bellasnana for your kind wishes. Yesterday was lovely and it made me realise whilst opening my cards and gifts with my DH at my side, many people are not so fortunate. They are on their own and life is lonely. So I just want to say I am grateful for what I have and I will make a point of contacting those lonely souls on their birthdays.

Finally GN is a good place to start to make new friends and to get support if you are feeling wobbly.

Sermon over ?

Grandmabatty Mon 28-Sep-20 07:30:42

Good morning All from a cool Polmont but definitely not as cold as the weekend. Have a lovely holiday Scentia. That was a lovely surprise Marydoll. The Internet can be a good thing at times and how nice to catch up with friends from long ago. I had an absolutely fantastic lunch with good friends yesterday as a belated birthday lunch, so much so that I didn't eat anything else all day. Today is a toddler sitting day so I'll get on and get organised. Have a good day all.

Kalu Mon 28-Sep-20 07:31:16

Good morning all from Glasgow. No sunny start to the day this morning and the heating has just come on. Our roads and shops are less busy again due to semi lockdown which is more manageable as opposed to complete lockdown.

I had a broken sleep last night for some reason and finally gave up at 6.am feeling anything but rested and washed out which scuppers my plans for today. A catch up snooze will possibly happen at some point in the day.

Wishing a good day to all.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sep-20 07:31:30

Good morning from a slowly brightening S Hampshire, the heating has kicked in and there is a heavy dew on the cars. Ashcombe we have friends in the Dordogne, the wood burners are lit. Scentia enjoy Butlins, haven’t been there for years!
Delivery from M&S this am and I must cut the grass afterwards, I’ve been saying that for three days, I’m a great putter offer, I was more efficient when I worked.
Have a pleasant day all, especially those absent.

NannyJan53 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:38:55

Ooooh Urmston we should be in Malaga right now! Just told Partner your weather forecast for the week there and his face was a picture envy

Feelingmyage55 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:40:44

Good morning from a distinctly mild north of Scotland at 6 degrees today compared to below freezing yesterday. A magnificent sunrise hopefully signals a more cheerful day. My neighbours are all away trying to squeeze in holidays before whatever the winter holds. I am posting early as not doing my usual Monday chores, did them yesterday. I will be cutting the grass and doing garden tidying before watching the tennis. What a disappointment when Andy Murray was knocked out yesterday. My friend wanted to visit this week but as she is just back from Europe she should be quarantining. She is a little offended that I have asked her to delay the visit and that she cannot come into the house. Having taken two flights on Saturday I feel it is too risky. Ah well I shall ply her with double cake when it is safe. Because I get bronchitis I feel it is worth being very careful. My son hopes to visit next week and stay in the annex so I am very excited - lots of coffee in the garden as he is coming by train so worries about me. gillybob come back and let us support you if we can. Have the best day you can.

dragonfly46 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:48:45

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

So happy you enjoyed your birthday Kate.

I found lists of old friends through FB Mary it is such a joy.

Not much planned for today. Will walk with DH this morning and probably make some mushroom soup as I seem to have a lot of mushrooms in my veggie box!

NfkDumpling Mon 28-Sep-20 07:50:28

Morning All

Like grandMattie we also have 'grumpy' weather here in the north of Norfolk. Very grey and damp.

The squirrels are busy outside transporting and burying walnuts all over the garden. I don't think they'll need to remember where they've put them - just dig anywhere, the garden must be nearly full!

Nothing planned again today but I may go for a walk this afternoon if it doesn't rain.

brook2704 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:52:40

Good morning everyone from Inverness where the sky is mostly grey and looking like it’s a bit windy.
Yesterday was a lovely day so I took myself off on a long walk from home and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really just love being outside as long as I can get well wrapped up and I’m not cold. Today I’ve got an online exercise class and then a fairly big shop at Tesco, so that should keep me busy.
Enjoy your holiday scentia
Happy 90th to your aunt kitty ??
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care whatever the day brings ?

Pantglas2 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:55:56

Morning all from a battleship grey north Wales- grumpy weather indeed GrandMattie!?

Ooh Butlins! Haven’t been in yonks and I’m sure ours in Pwllheli is called something else nowadays! Have a great day Scentia!

I’m on quarantine countdown FeelingMyAge - freedom Friday can’t wait come soon enough! Hoping to go to friends for curry Saturday night but half of Wales (south) is on lockdown and ? it doesn’t happen up here!

Stay safe everyone x

Pittcity Mon 28-Sep-20 08:05:39

Good morning from a grey but dry Colchester. The heating is on and the hot weather of last Monday is but a memory.
Housework and laundry day.
I need to get a new project as it looks as though most of my usual activities won't be starting again this year.
DD is putting an offer in on a "fixer up" today, having sold her house within 2 hours of it going on the market on Saturday. Maybe I can help with the interior design?