Gransnet forums

Chat

Another photo album…..

(39 Posts)
returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 18:33:07

Hi all,
As some of you may know, I've been filling a photo album -that my uncle bought me- over the past few months.
As it is almost full with 54 photos to go, he has bought me a new one.
Tomorrow I will send for 40 photos from a site where you pay only for delivery to put in the old one and next month I will buy 46 (you get 45 free a month but I'm paying for an extra one so there is no empty spaces on a page) and put 14 in the old one to finish it then put the remaining 32 in the new one.
I'm very grateful to him for buying me the albums and I'm very happy to have them as they always cheer me up. X

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 18:45:27

Oh I wish I was as disciplined as you.
I've lots of photos just kicking around in boxes under my bed.

My mum had a lot, and said she was going to throw them, but we said "ah, you can't do that".

Neither of us took up her offer to give them to us, though.
She kept them and when she died my daughter took them.
Then my daughter died, so now I've got them, and I didn't really want them in the first place!

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 19:00:09

MissAdventure

Oh I wish I was as disciplined as you.
I've lots of photos just kicking around in boxes under my bed.

My mum had a lot, and said she was going to throw them, but we said "ah, you can't do that".

Neither of us took up her offer to give them to us, though.
She kept them and when she died my daughter took them.
Then my daughter died, so now I've got them, and I didn't really want them in the first place!

Ohhhh the irony!! I'm sorry to hear about your mum and daughterflowers. You should buy some nice albums and put them all in them and display them on a shelf. X

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 19:03:23

Yes, I should at least give them the respect of being put into albums, and albums are really reasonably priced.

I wonder if actual photos will cease to exist in the future? I suppose so.

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 19:28:57

MissAdventure

Yes, I should at least give them the respect of being put into albums, and albums are really reasonably priced.

I wonder if actual photos will cease to exist in the future? I suppose so.

I don't think so as I know a lot of people in their teens and twenties who send for photos and put them as a collage on their walls. I have a 9 year old relative who has about 30 photos, so I think they're actually becoming more popular amongst the young ones. X

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 19:30:49

Also, I buy all my albums from Amazon as they are cheap, good quality, and have a very wide range of beautiful designs or plain ones. X

crazyH Wed 30-Sep-20 19:37:37

I digitise my photos, send them to a company online . I then compile them on line, into an album, a hard copy of which will be posted to you within a couple of weeks.

Justwidowed Wed 30-Sep-20 19:48:25

My husband made up lovely albums of all the holidays we had.At the last count there were 40 albums on the bookcase.When he died my granddaughter asked me to provide photos for a collage she intended to make for friends and relatives to see at the wake.I gave her numerous ones to choose ,and she then made three wonderful large displays. They were very much appreciated and interested so many guests.I am now trying to have them framed as they are so precious.

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 19:58:50

crazyH

I digitise my photos, send them to a company online . I then compile them on line, into an album, a hard copy of which will be posted to you within a couple of weeks.

That's a good idea! I prefer to send for pretty albums then have fun filling them over a few months, though. Xx

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 19:59:30

Justwidowed

My husband made up lovely albums of all the holidays we had.At the last count there were 40 albums on the bookcase.When he died my granddaughter asked me to provide photos for a collage she intended to make for friends and relatives to see at the wake.I gave her numerous ones to choose ,and she then made three wonderful large displays. They were very much appreciated and interested so many guests.I am now trying to have them framed as they are so precious.

Awwww that's so lovely! I'm sorry to hear of the death of your husband. flowersX

Feelingmyage55 Wed 30-Sep-20 20:07:52

flyinghandbag. I hope you are dating the photos and adding the names of the folks in them in correct order to make them useful in the future. You sound as if you might enjoy the American hobby of “scrapbooking” and adding decorations and heading to each page. There will be lots of advice online.

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 20:54:05

Feelingmyage55

*flyinghandbag*. I hope you are dating the photos and adding the names of the folks in them in correct order to make them useful in the future. You sound as if you might enjoy the American hobby of “scrapbooking” and adding decorations and heading to each page. There will be lots of advice online.

I put in exact dates at first but now I just put in the year expect from Christmas. X

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 20:54:29

Except* x

Lexisgranny Wed 30-Sep-20 21:04:53

As Feelingmyage55: says I am sure you would enjoy scrapbooking. You say you are artistic, and it’s a great hobby for the winter nights ahead. I had albums belonging to my mother and grandmother that were falling apart, so I designed scrapbook pages around the photos and added some detail about the person in the photograph and I now have a pretty record going back over a hundred years. Try it - it’s fun,

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 21:39:52

Lexisgranny

As Feelingmyage55: says I am sure you would enjoy scrapbooking. You say you are artistic, and it’s a great hobby for the winter nights ahead. I had albums belonging to my mother and grandmother that were falling apart, so I designed scrapbook pages around the photos and added some detail about the person in the photograph and I now have a pretty record going back over a hundred years. Try it - it’s fun,

That sounds lovely. X

Charleygirl5 Wed 30-Sep-20 21:44:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 30-Sep-20 21:50:07

This post was fine but it quoted a previously deleted post.

Vickysponge Wed 30-Sep-20 21:53:13

May7 Wed 30-Sep-20 21:59:21

My little GCs love to collect their favourite photos and stick them in Albums so maybe the younger generation have decided the digital isnt the way for them. Full circle and all that.
Scrapbooking sounds fun lexisgranny I think I'll mention that to them

Lexisgranny Wed 30-Sep-20 22:02:59

May7. You will find that you are turning into a Womble, saving bits of ribbon, lace, beads, leaves etc to press for them!

May7 Wed 30-Sep-20 22:06:19

grin. Takes me right back to the brownies

Vickysponge Wed 30-Sep-20 22:06:49

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 22:08:11

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 22:08:28

It does sound quite absorbing.
I always enjoy those sorts of activities with the people I support.

I start off all reluctant, then get carried away with it.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 22:09:53

Oh, I didn't realise the thread was elsewhere by the time I posted.