Gransnet forums

Chat

Roast potatoes for breakfast

(70 Posts)
Witzend Fri 23-Oct-20 11:21:49

To be fair it was nearly 11 am - I hardly ever fancy anything to eat first thing - but I’ve just had 3 large roast potatoes, some broccoli and gravy, all left over from a roast chicken dinner the other night - warmed up together in the microwave.

Delish! And cleared out the fridge a bit at the same time.

henetha Fri 23-Oct-20 11:24:01

Yum. It always tastes better the next day.

Blossoming Fri 23-Oct-20 11:26:57

Sounds good to me smile

Nortsat Fri 23-Oct-20 11:28:16

Yum

Jaxjacky Fri 23-Oct-20 11:29:11

I’d do the same! No waste in this house.

DiscoGran Fri 23-Oct-20 11:29:39

Thanks. Now I know what we're having for dinner! ?

Daddima Fri 23-Oct-20 11:30:35

Lovely, to be enjoyed no matter what time of day it is!

I remember once asking on here why we thought certain foods should be eaten at certain times of day, so no curry for breakfast, or, less often, cereal and toast for dinner.
I confessed to waiting till nearer 12 to eat some of last night’s leftovers, but don’t do that any more!
As often happens here, very few (if any) got my point, and I got replies saying people just ate when they were hungry, didn’t have set mealtimes, or gave a rundown of their day’s menus!

trisher Fri 23-Oct-20 11:35:27

Sounds great. I also like them chopped up and fried with some bacon (not the broccoli and gravy though). Fried up mashed potato was also a great treat when I was growing up. Think some people have lost the art of using left overs.

Riverwalk Fri 23-Oct-20 11:36:21

Sounds great to me!

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 11:41:19

That's a middle of the night treat for me.
I'd also add some grated cheese. Yum.

tanith Fri 23-Oct-20 11:58:17

Leftover fried vegs on Boxing Day is my favourite meal, chopped up roasties and everything else with lashings of gravy yummy.

Auntieflo Fri 23-Oct-20 12:03:01

DH used to be given left over curry for breakfast.
It doesn't happen now.!

Fennel Fri 23-Oct-20 15:03:59

Reminds me of when I had a part-time job teaching a very bright Downs boy to read english.
He lived near me so we walked to school together. I was always a bit concerned about his care at home so asked him if he'd had any breakfast. He grinned and took a bag of roast potatoes out of his pocket. A lot better than nothing grin.

BBbevan Fri 23-Oct-20 16:38:45

My sister always liked left over lamb stew ( cawl) for breakfast

EllanVannin Fri 23-Oct-20 16:43:17

Once upon a time I could do that but not now. I would probably see off a full breakfast if it was cooked for me grin

BlueSky Fri 23-Oct-20 16:53:08

Love any leftovers for breakfast, cold ...?

Jane43 Fri 23-Oct-20 17:01:23

My Dad used to make the best bubble and squeak on a Monday using left over vegetables from Sunday lunch and it was served with cold meat from the Sunday roast. I have tried many times to make bubble and squeak that tasted as good as Dad’s but have never succeeded.

Astral Fri 23-Oct-20 17:03:11

Cold roast potatoes sprinkled with salt, so good... Or cut up smaller and fried. Best breakfast ever

Tangerine Fri 23-Oct-20 17:04:20

When I was in my 20s, I used to sometimes eat left over takeaway (Chinese or Indian usually) for breakfast but I don't think I'd want it first thing in the morning these days.

I'd have it for lunch.

Spice101 Sat 24-Oct-20 06:18:15

Daddima "I remember once asking on here why we thought certain foods should be eaten at certain times of day, so no curry for breakfast, or, less often, cereal and toast for dinner."

Likewise why can't we have dessert before our main?

Grannynannywanny Sat 24-Oct-20 07:50:04

My dear old mum never wasted a scrap of food. If there were a couple of cooked potatoes left she would mash them and make potato cakes. Very tasty and easy to make. Just mash, flour, salt and pepper and fried on a pan in a little butter.
My AC and GC love them and I make a big batch at a time and pass them on. Fun and easy to make with the grandchildren. Additions such as cheese or spring onion are tasty but plain is my favourite.

Grannynannywanny Sat 24-Oct-20 07:55:52

And here’s some I made earlier

Elizabeth1 Sat 24-Oct-20 07:58:04

Where’s the good morning thread I’m having to sign in these past couple of days why’s thatmay I ask?

baubles Sat 24-Oct-20 08:08:45

Elizabeth1

Where’s the good morning thread I’m having to sign in these past couple of days why’s thatmay I ask?

Here it is Eluzabeth1, you must be accidentally logging out of Gransnet.

baubles Sat 24-Oct-20 08:15:58

There’s no logic to our belief in what is or isn’t breakfast food. Your leftovers aren’t any less suitable than say, hash browns and baked beans which always seemed to be included in hotel breakfast buffets.