Gransnet forums

Chat

unofficial covid marshal

(12 Posts)
petunia Sat 24-Oct-20 11:07:52

I have a Covid dilemma. I am often a lone worker with a line manager “on the end of the phone”.I volunteer once a week in a service that means I have contact with the public.

This service closed down during lock down and only opened up again when procedures were put in place to make it Covid secure. The risk is, or would be greatly reduced. However, the general public come in all shapes and sizes and have their own interpretation of Covid rules. To complicate things, people come into the service from different areas with different tiers.

The place where I work has limited space and I find im shuffling people around according to households and to keep the rule of six and keeping the 2 metre rule. I spend most of my time asking people to wear their mask rather than dangle it from one ear, listening to them complain about how difficult it is to wear a mask, asking them not to sit in a different area because they will be too close to others. The list goes on. im finding that rather than doing the job I enjoy, I have become an unofficial Covid marshal. My line manager is monitoring the situation.

Should I grin and bear this or should I give up the volunteering for the foreseeable. or should i just get a Covid marshal vest and be done with it

Grandmabatty Sat 24-Oct-20 11:21:52

Hmm, if your line manager is aware of the situation, what are they doing about it? Your post has a sense of the absurdity of the situation so are you really irritated at it or prepared to put up with it? I would be asking them for their protocols and new policy in a covid world. How are they ensuring your safety? Ultimately only you can decide if it annoys you enough to give up volunteering but I would be really annoyed at my role changing without discussion.

Cabbie21 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:26:51

This does not sound like a safe working environment. I would not be going in .

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 11:43:54

Blow that for a game of soldiers. Let someone else carry the can.

sodapop Sat 24-Oct-20 13:09:44

Are you helping people as well as keeping people aware of protocols petunia if so then your role is a useful one. I would try and get more clarification from your line manager.
Everyone is having to adapt and change their working practices at the moment. I manage a small group of volunteers and I'm always trying to keep ahead of the game and keep everyone as safe as I can.

Elegran Sat 24-Oct-20 13:51:35

Are there notices up (very large and very visible) setting out the rules and ending with "Anyone not complying will be asked to leave without an interview?" If you could point to that you would at least save yourself getting a sore throat from repeating the same thing a million times a day . . .

If there isn't a permanent notice, I think I would print one out for myself, and bring it to put it up as soon as I arrived each week.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Oct-20 14:05:01

I would feel concern and speak to line manager, but actually would not put myself at this risk.

Ohmother Sat 24-Oct-20 15:37:20

Just think “Not my circus, not my monkeys!” Who actually put you in charge of others keeping to the rules?

You could make a large poster like our local restaurant has saying “Common sense much appreciated” and leave it at that.

maddyone Sat 24-Oct-20 15:44:16

I would leave, and state my reasons clearly.

Stephenmarra Sat 24-Oct-20 15:56:10

It's a pretty good idea with the poster with all the Covid info' on it but make sure you bring it to everyone's attention at the start of the day.
Good luck, sounds like you'll need it.

petunia Sat 24-Oct-20 16:46:04

Some good ideas here. Many thanks.

There are posters all around the place. Various employees wear masks. A public address system periodically reminds us. But some times, some people feel the need to ignore advice. Masks are a pain. I hate it but I know why I have to do it.

No one put me in charge of marshalling this situation but I as the only visible member of staff I can hardly turn a blind eye to what is happening. Should an infection result from my workplace I cant plead ignorance.

your replies have given me something to consider. I need an urgent discussion with my line manager. I think the arrangements that have been in place since we came out of lock down aren't working well. For volunteers and the people using the service.

I must add that most people are lovely and follow the rules but some just don't.

welbeck Sat 24-Oct-20 16:48:03

from your post i thought you had one job where you worked with a manager available only by phone, and also another role where you volunteered with helping the public.
from replies, seems it is one voluntary role.
i would give it up, pro tem.
why put yourself at unnecessary risk, with little support from the organisation, nor co-operation from the public.